Preptober #3

Arceus

Periodically during the month of October, I'll be posting discussion topics that challenge you to think about your story and where you're going with it. You also get a small amount of points for your NaNo House for participating, so you can get your house an early lead during Preptober!

Topic #3 is, introduce the rest of the class to your story's setting!

Mine's supposed to be clearly based on the 1920's crime-noir type genre, so I've got revolvers, old style cars, suits and fedoras, Cuba Libres and thick cigar smoke hanging over a game of blackjack. It's a very interestingly nondescript-but-somehow-still-very-specific aesthetic, and it's extra difficult for me because I don't normally write in this particular setting, so it turns out it's a difficult one for me to drum up on the spot. I had a hard time with it when I tried writing it the first time five years ago, too, so you know. I have no idea how I'm gonna do it this time. Lol hopefully I'm enough of a better writer that I can figure it out. Since the main focus is on the clashing of a group of detectives and a criminal triad, it'll end up also pushing my medical and legal knowledge, but in this particular part of town, there's no real cop presence. The law enforcement out there is usually also in one of the triads, so the criminal groups control the main bulk of where the story takes place, and it leads to interesting and seeming impossible situations where both the 'bad guys' and the 'good guys' are a problem.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I go with At the Crossroads of Destiny the setting is pretty well canon for avatar: the last airbender, which means! Basically it is set in a historical fantasy setting somewhere amid an industrial revolution with an all encompassing world war that has been going on for 100 years by the time the story starts. Prejudice and violence run wild, as does political intrigue and betrayal. It's a volatile world you'd hardly imagine came out of a show for kids (but it did and man the depth to explore...) anyway. We start in the Earth Kingdom, arguably the most war-torn of the surviving nations late in the spring.

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

Okay so the setting of my NaNo is... a fantasy setting. The story itself revolves at first around an assassin cult that believes that by assassinating certain people, they are creating world balance. They choose no sides--or they're not supposed to. But when leadership changes hands, the leader starts making some selfish choices and is easily bought by a war-hungry country. 

The setting is still kinda underway but I loathe setting my stories in identifiable "historical" context so it'll just be something original. Hopefully... As they say, nothing's original anymore. lol 

Reality is an illusion. 

Urban fantasy/alt history set in 80s/90s Soviet Russia, then expanding out to England and France once the USSR fell apart. Vampires, werewolves, and daoine (basically my interpretation of elves/fae more or less) and magi are common enough that if even you haven't met one you definitely know someone who has, but the actual full extent of what magic is capable of is only taught within those communities. As is the fact the magical community doesn't exactly feel itself to be bound by human laws, for that matter.