How important is OOC activity to you?

Morrigan

• Admin

Breaking Music Video GIF by Hanson

So, for me I've never put much stock in OOC activity. I don't care for OOC boards of any kind they provide little-no value to me especially game forums and things like that. They also always made me feel like the board was more inactive than it really was, especially if there were a lot of them.

So, how do you feel about them? Do you even have any? If you do what are they and how often are they used?

Also, how many of you have sacked OOC forums for discord? Have you fully converted or only partly?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

The OOC boards are the bane of my existence! LOL.

I have a very limited number of OOC boards on my sites. However, I am seriously thinking about removing all of them except one Help Desk type that will be guest friendly for asking questions. Since all of my sites use a plug-in or built-in Discord feed, I find OOC boards useless. I mainly have them for people that might prefer not to join Discord.

And there's my current conundrum. Keep the OOC boards or mandate joining Discord and expand the channels I have there. 😄 Decisions, decisions!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I'll admit, with a Discord server for our players, our OOC Forum doesn't really see a lot of activity. Sometimes, there are guests and new members who aren't familiar with Discord or don't use chat at all, and those folks get all the love for posting in our OOC area. I just can't ruin my pretty site by putting a Discord app on the forum, so, for now, I'll be keeping my OOC forums (minimal though they are) even if I'm not sure they're entirely useful.

The only OOC areas that get a lot of action are our Writer Profiles, Development Submissions, and Plot Notes instead of our Intro or Welcome areas, though I do have a Q&A and Bug&Error Report forum, just in case.

• Like 1

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

ooc boards mean nothing to me. chances are I won't use them at all but for a few personal storage threads, but chats like discord. the real-time dynamic of ooc there is actually pretty important for the life of the rp. I see people plotting and talking about their ideas and sharing in an organic way that replaced the need for personal plotter threads and makes it easy for players to talk about their rps and build up hype for plots

• Agree 1

We have an OOC forum but it barely gets any use these days. Most of the time it's just for informational use or helpful stuff. There's some things on there like awards we have won and Kudos thread but honestly it doesn't get much use. Discord is where everyone sits and plots or gets character ideas so it's much more organic (as said before) and can jump right into posting from there. Other than that, really the ooc forum has no specific use. We don't do games as we have those on Discord. I've actually just considered renaming it and converting it to just use for writing aids or something akin to that. In the past they weren't a deal breaker for me because I personally hardly used them. Most of the time I only used them for the occasional LoA and that was it. 

• Like 1

spacer.pngDecadence

I love our OOC forums and we use them a lot in my community. But that's probably because we're not big on Discord. 

Reality is an illusion. 

I think most of the time when I have had OOC boards ( and I do have one for messages or LOA) that they were pretty much unused other than well wishes and birthday things and of course LOA. They are pretty much just a take up space thing for me anymore.

With Discord- which is great however I would offer it too has its problems. While  great to touch base and even plot for those on different time zones - I have found there is a core of writers that spend more time socializing and less time invested in the stories. I am sure this is true even when we had the simple chat box.

Socialization and friendships are awesome!!!!!!!!! However I also want to see everyone enjoying their stories too. 

Thats my two cents 🙂

• Preach it! 1

spacer.png

I like the option, and I definitely like the organizational side of OOC boards for things you might want to refer others to. We have a loose one, but our Discord’s busier. The plotters and thread organizers get used the most often, but we’ve got some drop-a-plot threads too that see some action.

There’s technically the option to throw some chatter in (and there’s a couple of threads to that tune), but they didn’t seem to catch. That seems to lean toward Discord instead.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

20 hours ago, Muse said:

I just can't ruin my pretty site by putting a Discord app on the forum

@Muse

Consider adding WidgetBot for your on-site Discord app. That's what I've done. We even have the little button themed to match. The button sits discreetly in a corner.

Our sites use a Discord integration app that allows us to set up specific forums to send post links to our Discord channels. It works great!

• Like 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• 1 month later...

I haven't utilized an OOC board since like... 2014.

They used to be fun, but honestly, I don't see the point of them anymore when we can use discord to communicate and share memes and so forth.

That said, I find that OOC participation can kind of indicative how invested a member might be; there are one-offs where someone will be extremely active or inactive in chat but the opposite on the board itself, but I find if someone hasn't engaged with us or anyone else in the discord within a few days of joining, they're typically going to ghost.  Participation is absolutely not required in any capacity (aside from hopefully IC lol) but it can be very telling.

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

• 2 months later...

I don't have much going on on our OOC boards.  That being said, a lot of OOC interaction has shifted to discord and I think that has become rather important.  So much plotting and ideas come out of there that if you aren't on the discord or don't participate in the conversations there, you kinda get left behind

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

when i first made my board, i had a bunch of ooc boards made, but literally no one used them LOL. so i got rid of them and now we just have one ooc board for testing codes on the site.

however, i do think ooc interaction is important; i want folks to have an easy time getting to know each other, chatting about plots, sharing any artwork or whatever they make, etc. it's just that all of that takes place entirely in our discord  server now, and i have a guest-friendly FAQ board available for folks on the site instead as well as a discord widget on the site.

We used to have a lot of OOC boards from the old days, but canned those a while back. 

Most of our OOC chatter happens in the discord, which I'm sure is true for a lot of sites these days. It has been pretty great for us, overall, and I think it's helped knit the community pretty well together. For activity, I don't worry about it too much as long as it's balanced. It tends to have natural peaks and valleys, and there will be some days when the discord is pretty quiet but the boards are on fire with posting or the other way around. 

• Agree 1

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

• 3 weeks later...

Back when I started roleplaying OOC boards were all the rage, and a lot of members not only expected but demanded them. Now however, I haven't even included them on my two sites I run now, as not only do members not seem that interested, I have no real interest in them either. With Discord, they really aren't needed in my opinion. 

We use ours for sharing RP-related graphics, non-rp writing, member pictures and videos, and other random stuff that would get buried in a discord server. It's not as frequently hit as our IC forums, but they still see a decent amount of input and traffic. I guess we're just that old-fashioned >.>

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png