How important is OOC activity to you?

Morrigan

I've never put a lot of stock in it. I mean it's not something you can look at without taking in the whole forum. They may be really active OOC but slow IC but they could also be starting out and only just under a month old. Some days are more quiet than others.

Something I did this time around, because I am honestly over the OOC forums when never in any of my times staffing in the past ten years, have they been used to any great extent. Especially now with the organization that discord offers for a community. So... we have no OOC forums that aren't directly related to plotters, thread tracking, journals, or other avenues of character development. And I gotta say, I am GLAD I decided to just not bother. We have a Moderation forum for all-the-things and that is where we placed a 'leave of absence' thread because that was really the only thing that was necessary from those forums. 

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 1 month later...

I find that they're handy for sort of building up camaraderie and such. They can provide something silly to talk about in discord when you're not up anywhere or otherwise don't have the brainspace for serious writes. Also, because timezones are so often an issue, they can allow for some fun diversions while the majority of members are asleep. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to our games and such, but some nights when I'm all caught up it's fun to bounce around in there a bit before bed, knowing my more easterly friends will discover what I've done when they wake.

Not that this can't also apply to discord, but I do like having both options. Also it's a nice place to drop longstanding compliments and the like, stuff you regularly think but just don't really think to say? Idk, I like it.

I never used to find it too important, but now that I’m stuck in the best community ever (I’m not biased or anything) it’s become pretty integral. There’s no better feeling than having a whole hype crew around you who make you excited to post as well as confident in exploring your characters. ☺️

• Love 2

I don't much need OOC forums, like game forums or whatever. I don't mind one or two fun little games to play from time to time, but they're never anything I spend time hanging out on. My OOC Discord, though... ALL MY FRIENDS ARE THERE. It's actually the most wonderful place, my main source of social interaction on any given day. I truly favor a place where I can make genuine friends and write together in such a way where both are important to me. I think that helps create a healthy community and also means when life goes sideways and you can't post for a bit, you still know you have a place when you can come back to it.

adorable lion GIF

On 2/9/2020 at 9:05 AM, dusk said:

OOC Activity: Very.
OOC Forums: Not so much.

This. Community to me is paramount on a board. I know that writing is important and ostensibly the reason we're all here, but I'm not going to stay on any board where I don't feel that personal pull that keeps me around even when my drive to write is lacking. 

How you build that community, though, is 100% up to you!

We have OOC forums but they take up a really small fraction of our board. Mostly they're for larger discussions on books, tv shows, etc, occasionally for new baby announcement, graphics, and other organizational stuff. We also have users who communicate with one another over skype, text, Discord, etc., though have no formal area for that. We host movie nights and trivia, run OOC events through a contest forum, and other things to keep the heart of our community beating. The way we set things up is not the only way to accomplish the same goal.

IKiE2z.png

We have OOC forums but they have relatively little activity in comparison to the rest of the site.

The majority of OOC activity is on Discord, but I keep the OOC boards around as they can be useful at times.

While I do consider Discord activity important, activity on the OOC forums is not something we really ever worry about.

Edited by Mayu

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

• 2 weeks later...

With Discord the OOC boards don't seem to really be much of a thing anymore. I don't really see them being used on the sites I have been on.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't so much care for forums. Games are hit and miss for me now too. I do however enjoy talking to members and just passing time with them. It might be chatting about our pets, tv shows, books, games they playing xbox or ps4 wise etc....i just find that if the person is engaging me and we get on that i'm more likely to do more in-depth plots with them, or take their wanteds. I feel much happier taking a wanted if the member is engaging me than someone just posting and never saying more than a word in my plotter. It's much too easy to forget someone on the site when they aren't chatting about plots or non character stuff. I need some kind of chat, even if it's sharing character memes, pics, random chatter. 

spacer.png

• 1 year later...

i think a good balance is good. i actually think if people are active OOCly then people are truly interested.

Hello!

Honestly, I'm about to get rid of my ooc boards on my site and just have the service area, q&a for guests and Lore building sections. Other than that, Most of the ooc chatter is on our discord, and I just have a button on the site for that. lol 

• 1 month later...

All general OOC chatter is done in the discord, but we still have an OOC section for aways, games, playlists, etc. It goes through phases of use. We also have plotters still on board. It's not hurting anything remaining there, so we keep it. Worst case, we get slammed with some serious nostalgia when we go poking through it on a rainy day. 

We also occasionally get people who don't have or don't want to use discord. Keeping it, I feel, allows for people to have that OOC connection without writers without having to join to discord. Trying to accommodate everyone, you know?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png

• 3 weeks later...

With on Jcink and Tumblr I've just created OOCs discord Servers for RPs I make. I know a sense of community and people openly talking, joking, and engaging out of game has a degree of importance and can really fuel relationship between players and that can flow into their characters posting together. However, personally, I don't put much stock in it. As an admin, I try to talk to and get to know ALL of my members. That way no one feels left out, everyone knows they can come to me for anything even if it is to just kill time BSing with me. Even had a few healthy and constructive back and forths with members on things I've been doing that they like or don't like and learned to grow as a positive admin. However, as a member, I've personally seen and been targeted by too much drama in RPs that don't foster this 'get to know everyone' motto. Even when I literally don't ever post in the discord or whatever form the OOC takes other than to tag people when I post for them. Some how I'm getting dragged into someone else's drama or some comes along my way with a person I never speak to. I'll maybe walk away from an RP with two or three people I DMed and had plenty of threads with and honestly, that's all that matters to me.

OOC - or Discord - is nice to have to connect to others on another level. Keeps things organized, what have you, but sometimes it can be a little too character breaking at times because personally, I want to keep things a little more immersive.

I'm also a little introverted so I don't like to socialize much, even on forums or let alone on Discord. I'll do it at times because I want to, but personally I don't think it's bad to have. So as long as some things maybe remain a little on topic? I remember days when people wouldn't get super personal about their lives outside of roleplaying. At times, I kind of miss it.

image.png.3a859e48ffdbcdaed578143d71b70bcc.png

Site | Guidebook Discord
No experience required

In the way of OCC, I think it's important to have some sort of connections with writers. I know this OG post is fairly old now, but with discord and discord community, I think the best way to an active site is to have some sort of community either on discord/chat or on the forum itself. 

• 4 months later...

I'm probably the opposite of a lot of people here. I love OOC boards, I miss them. They were a good place to post and stuff while I needed to take a break from RP'ing for the day, or I was waiting on posts and the Cbox wasn't really my jam or there was someone online in the Cbox I didn't want to interact with but still wanted to be active. They were also a great way to judge board activity and also get your face out there and a great means of generating member's interest in terms of getting RP partners.

Now a days the argument is; "you can do all that in discord" Yeah but you really can't. You can't have any actual in depth discussion on topics, chats get flooded or taken over by 'me centered' discussions. Quiet people get pushed to the wayside for "not engaging" when maybe they're just shy or can't keep up with the flow of conversation; you have alerts muted or turned off you miss huge chunks of conversation. And most importantly the OOC boards just become places where other people come in; post their ads; leave and that contributes to sites just looking like corpses that strangers are just pinning fliers too.

Out of all of the things I would love to see make a return from the ye olden days; it's Out of Character Boards and engagement in them. Beyond forum games there were so many fun things; Like discussion about rp things on the site, posting up thread stalking threads and giving hype to roleplays that were going on, etc. I desperately miss the days when a forum was a place to really spend your time not just for rp but also just to hang out.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

spacer.png
Forum || Discord