Character Ships that Went Down

Dragon

• Operations Mod

Relationships are important when it comes to roleplay. Roleplay literally couldn't function without character relationships. So lets have a bit about the relationships that just didn't work out. 

Of course, romantic relations are going to take the lead here. However, this thread is not just about the romantic. Friendships are fair game as well. 

What ships have you watched sink into the deep, black depths? Did it happen through natural plot progression, or through being ghosted by a partner? Did the ship sink easy, or did it go down bloody and fighting? 

Personally, I really love the ships that sink. One of the best romantic ships I ever had sank because my character got too isolated in the relationship, felt like all the world was on him and he had to support everything without any support in return, in addition to neither his nor his husband's families' approving of their relationship to begin with, and in the end he strayed and cheated. 

So, lets talk about the ships that have crashed and burned. Why did it happen? Was it natural plot progression? Did your partner flake out on you? Did the site just die? 

• Love 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

These may well be my favorite types of ships, and so I have a lot of successful stories.

The latest established one was planned from the start to end in tragedy. My character was a well-off, out-of-touch fellow who basically had a young Love at First Sight thing going on. The character he decided was the love of his life was a guy on the outskirts of the gay community when a lot of class mixing happened within them due to a certain level of trauma-bonding a la laws against sodomy.

It is loaded to the brim with two guys who have their own brands of wince-inducing problems.

• Love 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

My most heart-breaking one was between a mother/son/father relationship. I played the son. For reasons I can't remember (it was several years ago) the mother had an affair with someone else and left. As if that wasn't hard enough for my character, the person who played the father OOCly didn't like that it had happened and wrote out the father committing suicide (not in graphic detail obvs). So my character was left without a mother and father :')) The players of the siblings also went inactive too so he legit had no one in his family lmfao (though I think i remember RPing with the mum again looking to reconcile things)

That was some juicy juicy angst for my character and none of it was pre-planned which honestly made it even better since it was all pretty sudden! Legit cried reading/writing some of those posts.

• Like 1

I came to a site with a friend, and we played out a long-standing romance. My character had been left at the altar, and the other character had picked him up and helped him through his toughest time, and they grew together as people. Mine always had fears of abandonment, and was super clingy, but my friend's knew why and was sympathetic and always made sure he knew they weren't going anywhere.

And then my friend left the site due to personal issues, and told me I could say whatever I wanted happened. 

I didn't want to give up the character or just tie off the entire romance with a nice pretty bow. I thought they still had a lot of potential (they were planning on getting married soon, which would've caused a little drama because of other reasons).  

So I took the logical step. During an event on the site that claimed a lot of NPC lives, I had the other person disappear, leaving my character alone again. 

This kicked off a whole new personal plot of my character spiraling, making bad life choices, even going as far as moving away from the city for years and changing his appearance so he could pretend to be someone else (magic was involved).  He came back, was found out by an old friend, and has been slowly pulling himself together again. 

Edited by Bro
  • Love 1

I think the biggest ship disaster I had was a multi-faceted disaster.

I had a character who was fairly important, plot-wise. One of the admins really liked him and proposed that one of her characters and mine have a casual, sometimes sleep together, no strings attached (hah) relationship thing. I was like "yeah, okay cool, that fits with my character."
Then my character fell hard for a different character by a newish member. It wasn't predetermined, it happened in-game, entirely without either of us meaning for it to. 

Admin got salty and IC our characters had a big fallout. Which, okay, somewhat reasonable, since admin's character had apparently been falling in love with my character (but without telling me, of course). It was a very intense thread. (And IC, my character's LI didn't know he had had any sort of relationship with this other character until that point. We had some wonderful drama planned around that.) Of course, it felt more and more like I, not my character, was arguing with the admin, and not her character, as the thread went on. (Again, from everything she'd said, it was supposed to be a casual, no strings attached relationship, so that's the assumption I had been operating under.)

But then, admin was still salty and decided to take it out on the player for LI. IC drama quickly turned into OOC drama, and LI's player left the site. Thankfully(?), this all was happening in the middle of a war plot, so I had (with LI player's permission) LI disappear in the middle of things, and my character made a big magical kaboom to bring down almost an entire city, which actually ended the war, and also disappeared (and was assumed dead). 

Terrible endings all around.

(I am still in touch with LI's player, though. We're still friends. The one happy ending.)

• Cringe 3

• Operations Mod
7 hours ago, emeraldas said:

(I am still in touch with LI's player, though. We're still friends. The one happy ending.)

I'm glad there was a silver lining for you both. I really can't stand character jealously from my RP partners. I hate it even worse when its an admin using their position to try and force something. 

Over-jealous jackasses have ruined so many sites for me....

• Love 1
  • Preach it! 3

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

It's not often that things get off the ground for me. In most cases, with ships, I don't have something specific in mind unless I can fill a want ad or someone expresses interest in making a character to match with mine. Or, sometimes, if they have a canon partner that I can request. 95% of the time, things end because of boards shutting down or players ghosting on me. The other 5% has come down to issues with the other person writing with me. A few instances stick out in my mind. 

One lied to me about their post length/speed, said I'd forced them to lie because I'd wanted longer and faster posts than they could write, and blew up at me when I said I was reopening the wanted and wouldn't write with them any more. They started bitching about me in the Discord, got warned by the admin for badmouthing other players, and left. 

One took a wanted for my character's husband and wouldn't plot with me. Instead they tried to plot their character sleeping with literally every other character on the site. They also started describing in the Discord how their character wanted to rape, mutilate, or murder various characters. I told them I was uncomfortable with their behavior and was reopening the wanted, and they mocked me for being oversensitive. They got banned. 

One metagamed and godmodded in literally every post, and dismissed or changed things I'd written in my posts. They also constantly changed and upgraded their characters' powers to the point that they openly stated that their character would be able to singlehandedly destroy the most powerful canon characters in the fandom with little to no effort. I dropped them as a partner. 

One wrote me a starter that had no trigger warning on it despite explicitly describing underage rape, self-harm, abuse, and suicidal thoughts. When I said I wasn't going to reply to the post because I was uncomfortable with the content, and pointed out that I'd listed all those topics as things I wouldn't write (the site had a section for triggers in the miniprofile and member directory), they sent me an eyeroll gif. I ended up ghosting on the site not long after. 

One admitted to trying to bully me off the site because they no longer liked how I was playing the character. The admin said they weren't comfortable confronting the player about their behavior because they were friends in real life and they believed that I had also been at fault for not communicating with them better about what they wanted out of the character they'd requested. I left the site. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 11:43 PM, Jaxx said:

One took a wanted for my character's husband and wouldn't plot with me. Instead they tried to plot their character sleeping with literally every other character on the site. They also started describing in the Discord how their character wanted to rape, mutilate, or murder various characters. I told them I was uncomfortable with their behavior and was reopening the wanted, and they mocked me for being oversensitive. They got banned. 

Yikes-A-Roni, you sure have had some tough times. For some reason though, this one stands out to me the as the most irritating...on a few levels. Strictly RP speaking, why pick up a character from MY wanted and then not plot with me?  That alone would drive me nuts. But wowzers, I'm so glad you had an admin who took those comments seriously and banned that player. 

10 minutes ago, Sophey said:

Yikes-A-Roni, you sure have had some tough times. For some reason though, this one stands out to me the as the most irritating...on a few levels. Strictly RP speaking, why pick up a character from MY wanted and then not plot with me?  That alone would drive me nuts. But wowzers, I'm so glad you had an admin who took those comments seriously and banned that player. 

I've been around for a long time and certainly have some stories! This one sticks out to me too, though. It was a wild situation and I'm glad it's the only one of its kind I've encountered. And also that the admin didn't let it slide! 

My favorite sunken ship. Most of it we wrote, a few parts we added in the details to explain because that site folded before we compleeetely finished with it. But still it will go down in memory.

On a wild west site. I wrote a character who proposed to his childhood best friend when they were still basically kids being raised in some Catholic asylums by the Sisters because they were orphans. Well, Sammy proposes, says he'll be back for the girl when they're both 18 (he was 14 when he left) and goes west to work on the transcontinental railroad and make some money. When the girl is about to turn 18 he heads back east to pick her up.

Right before he went back east to pick up his wife. Sam's character was a bit like... well, Forestt Gump of sorts. He was telling his buddy the blacksmith about how he had no experience with women so he didn't know what to do with a wife when he got her. The blacksmith took him to the brothel and paid for his 'first time'. Sam was convinced he was in to get some kind of premarital counseling. He wanted to speak with a man. They set him up with a male prostitute, Louis. Samuel decided he liked his counselor.

Sam went back east, got his bride, they still loved each other, yada yada, but he carried on a love affair with Louis as well. On top of it he had no idea how to homestead. He ruined his crops. He accidentally ordered like 1000 chickens when he was trying to order 100. The roof of his sod hut fell in on them while they were in bed. He had no idea how to manage the horses. So when his wife had to ride in back to town to get supplies (because he couldn't drive the wagon without managing to injure the horses), a 'boy' (was actually a woman outlaw dressed as a man), came up to his house and swindled him into buying a real gentle easy horse.

So he gets his new horse, and later on when he's riding the horse in town the outlaw woman comes out as herself and accuses him of stealing the horse, holds him at gunpoint. He can't explain how he got the horse so he ends up getting thrown in the slammer as a horse thief.

At this point his wife has run off from him. "Gone back east."

So then the town is having a fourth of July celebration and distracted, the young swindler is a bit distressed because she hadn't actually meant to get a man hanged for horse thieving, so she decides to bust him out along with the help of another outlaw. They steal dynamite and blast a hole in the jail while the town is celebrating with fireworks. Samuel escapes and runs away with Louis and lives happily ever after.

Thanks to Runa, Dark, and Lacie for this story. It was beautiful, I will never forget.

Edited by Denny
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been burned rather badly in the whole "ship" department. Too many times I've made characters for ships at people's requests only to have them recruit others join and barrel roll over them and skirt in because "Oh we've shipped on other sites, we know our people work together". It leaves a sour taste. So I've sworn off "making" people for the express purpose of shipping. Either the characters I have work out with yours, or they don't. I'm not catering to people for fake relationships anymore. 

The absolute worst case, however, of ye ol' sinking ships. Was where a friend and I found ourselves bored out of our minds one day and jokingly said. "Oh hey, what do you think would happen if X and Y hooked up" We both loved each other's characters and their personalities fed off each other for some real fun. The draw back. The guy (friends character) had a "final" already arranged. Even though the character had not been made yet.  So we went into it under the understanding this was going to be all heartbreak and pain. Cool. Great story, Love it!

Well. The one time hook up turned into a legit ship, a really really good one. So good, that the player who had arranged to make the other half of the arranged "end game" Got STUPID jealous. Well, I've never seen a character made so fast before! She (the girls player) Complained to Admin that I was "stealing her ship" and accused us of working against her or some such nonsense. 

So we rushed the "breakup" Just wanting to be done with the drama. But then... oh god... they were "TOO" heartbroken. It wasn't fair, you're not allowed to love him that much.

At the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that the player of "Endgame Girl" Was highly unstable and a little too attached to someone that didn't exist. It got so bad I ended up leaving the game entirely because her bully tactics spread to very corner of the site.  I left, and started my own game and carried on with my life. 

But wait... there's more.

The player who played dude in question, came to my site. Cool, hey we can do stories here and it will be fun and without drama. We start writing and all of a sudden I find out one of the newer players who was paying a little too much attention to "Dude in question" again... was "endgame Girl" from the other site. She had spoofed her IP, faked a  profile, pretended to be someone else, to follow us to MY game to continue her bullying and "hold" on this fictional character.

And people wonder why I hesitate to ship with people I don't know...

Anonymous poster hash: bdb24...c1f

• Cringe 4

So once upon a long time ago. I had a character pairing that sorta happened on their own and sorta didn't. The crush was supposed to be one-sided, but the side that wasn't supposed to reciprocate decided they did and next thing we players knew, the two were pining over each other. Everything was fine as long as my character never talked about anything meaningful. That character had a lot of abuse trauma in their background, and ofc mostly kept it to themselves. That site also didn't have apps so I feel like it was probably as shocking to the player as it was to the character when, finally, my character trusted the other enough to start talking about it.

And BOY there was a lot there, and it took a lot on my character's part to start talking honestly about it. By that point it'd all been shoved under a rug for probably close to ten years. That ship went up in flames right after because the other character got pissed off at mine for not telling them about it sooner. For hurting their feelings by "keeping things from them." That character didn't have any self-respect, so probably would've eventually forgiven it and moved on from it as long as it meant someone loved them, and I think that was probably the saddest part. Funny tale, that character would still forgive the other one if given the chance, and the site's been dead for five years.

Some things, it feels like, your characters never fully forget.

Anonymous poster hash: f3f8b...51f

• 3 months later...

There was a character I played (A), a lead character, who made sense with another character (B), but the player didn't have time to keep up with B. B was pivotal to character A's SL trajectory/moral fiber/and was majorly important in a supporting capacity, so, the player put B up for adoption as a canon role-- fine. Someone who seemed good on paper picked them up, took over, then whoo-wee butchered the character in one post (which, you know, I can forgive-- you're jumping in to tag onto a character that you didn't originally create/write based on the old posts, you need time to get into the character-- Alright, no problem...) but, then they ghost, and what had been done positioned my character more haphazardly than before in such a ... painfully cringe way.

Fortunately this had a happy ending, a friend took poor baby B right up and put her magic hands on him to finish out their story through the closing of the site, and they had as close to a happily ever after as they would get.

Next time, we gonna be writing them off ASAP and not pre-shipping anything.

Edited by poufkin

ᴘᴏᴜғᴋɪɴ : frandly and unlikely to bite, feel free to message.

⬊ Wonder Comics ⬋
Qv8rB5C.png tumblr_inline_n1bjtjyyTN1qk1or3.gif 8d47c0ec5675a7cc00587f1ece0e8182-dak46gp.png spacer.png

I don't know how relevant this story is... but it was an almost ship that took place with a friend of mine.

Her character (R) was in an almost relationship with another player's character (K). I say almost because a lot of it was being played out in secret channels(this is back on an IM based platform), but it never saw the light. Why? Because R's player was in a relationship with a really toxic community member named F, who perceived IC dating to equate to OOC cheating. She was sooooo clingy and toxic. One time I got a DM telling me that I was a [redacted] for glomping K's player OOCly(yeah, glomping, as you can tell this story is hella dated). ICly K broke his hand, some more drama happened. Anyways, they eventually broke up, but not before both of them left the RP and took their characters with them. 

spacer.png