how many member groups are too many?

Dominic Sherwood

The title says it all, how many member groups you think are ok/torable to have on a site and how many are TOO many? In number talking, of course

I think any more than five starts to become excessive (assuming we have one "normal" member group and four other groups for staff/special positions/etc.). Particularly if you have different username colors to differentiate the usergroups, it starts to become a beautiful rainbow mess. When a site has six, seven, eight+ different username colors, it becomes difficult for me to remember what all the different colors mean, making them somewhat pointless. On-site legends help, but too many different usergroups is a subtle no-go for me. 

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

Depends on what you're grouping. Like, if it's a Clan-Based team setup and there's 10 different Royal Houses, it totally makes sense then to have 10 different groups.

• Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

For IC character groups, I don't know if there's a specific number, but members registering characters should have an easy choice when it comes to member groups. It becomes unwieldy when lines start to blur and you're thinking "well, my character kind of fits into this group, and kind of another, but I don't really click with any of them."

What Nevermind said, i think the less member groups you have is better. I currently have five, one is for the member account, another is the admin accounts the rest are the player accounts which are split into various different species via the mini profile/main profile/post row. 

I think the more you have the more confusing it becomes at first glance, there tends to be a lot of overlap with groups making it a lot harder for people to know just where they belong. 

But i do also agree it does depend on what you are basing them on, if it is clans like mentioned above, more makes sense, but i wouldn't start of with me. You'll find members will just create a character to fit with all you have and then you have characters spread through them all with no connection. (ten clans? youll find youll have one character within each and then folks complain) so if its that set up id make only a couple with a empty clan member group and then the more clans members there is a group can be made. 

• Agree 1

user posted image                                                                                              

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the setting.

My site currently has 8, outside of staff/moderator/NPC.

When I go in and try to edit the colors and make everything distinctly different I believe we have way too many. lol

• 2 months later...
Guest BETA BLUE

My current site has eight.  With variables, and easy coloring methods now, it'a not something I rip out my hair too.  It's just easy now.  Let many have said, it's how many you need.  

We have 8 but they are pretty specific. One for Admins. One for Mods. One for Members. The rest are races (five of those). Pretty easy system and each has their own color to make it easier. It also helps at a glance to know who's who on the site. I'm with the others agreeing that you have what you need because everyone's board is different and has different systems.

spacer.pngDecadence

We have three. Admin, Mod, Member. (Guest is obvs a default.) But akod is made with Invision and Morrigan's amazing character mod makes it so we don't need extra groups for races. I love it, since it lets me keep the listings clutter free. 

• 2 weeks later...

It honestly depends on the subject for me I think, as someone who mostly RP's Potter or Supernatural original rpg's a lot of groups are needed often to fit the worlds. Species for example. So I don't mind an RP with a lot of member groups as long as they make sense to the story/plot of the site.

• 4 weeks later...

For most sites 5-7 seems fine number wise. But some themes have a variety more categories like in Harry Potter or Marvel. 

Whilst i'm not big on HP I could assume the 4 Hogwarts houses, the death eaters, the hit wizards or whatever they're called, then there are maybe muggles, other magic schools or groups i'm less aware of but not part of those others. That could be 7-9 groups. 

For Marvel -rolls up sleeve- you've got the various x-men groups for students, x-juniors, x-men, brotherhood, acolytes or other teams, plus non x-men ones such as Avengers, F4, Street level defenders, space folk like Carol, other asguardians….which could add up to a huge list if you don't crop it better. 

Then there's species for supernatural sites. If you have 10 species you may have 10 groups, plus hybrids, or NPC/independent/other categories such as large packs having their own group, etc. 

Edited by Lady Croft

spacer.png

My site has three types of OOC accounts (admin, mod, and ooc) then it has 7 in character accounts (species based) and one NPC one. So a total of 11 on the site.

We have done species by grouping them together: Such as "Shifter" which houses Were Creatures, Skinwalkers, and Shapeshifters in one package. Undead houses our Vampires and Ghosts. Since really to me the coloring only holds the basics of what the character could be and when we do events we just effect the whole sub groups by effects. It then reaches a larger number of characters and gives them a unique spin on things.

spacer.png

Okay guys, while I am in the 'less is better' category of opinion, I have to admit that my own site has 34. That's right, thirty. freaking. four. 

I know. 

It's the Hogwarts students that do it. They are divided by house, but they are also divided up by year because that way makes so much less work for me at the end of every year when I have to move a whole group of kids up from first year to second year, etc.

So I guess ultimately it depends on what you're using them to define and how your board operates. I just wanted to say '34' so nobody else had to feel bad about their high numbers. XD

yZU7KoE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely think it depends on the site! My site has 8, one for each rank of character on the site (royalty, commoners, pirates, etc.) I definitely could see other sites needing more though.

I kinda hate coming up with groups for character groups. We use the lame personality based kind on wab because we have too many species to group by species. 

I don’t like dealing with more than like 10 at most if I can help it. 

Reality is an illusion.