Can't figure out how to address this problem

Anonymous

I recently joined an arranged marriage site. The writer of the character that mine was matched with has had a lot of errors in their posts since they joined six months ago. Missing punctuation, typos, and words that are missing or out of order. I have a mild learning disability and trying to read anything they've written is honestly hell for me. I don't think it would be fair to either of us to expect us to write together. However, I can't think of a way to tell them this. I don't want to give the impression that I'm judging them or that I don't think they're good enough to write with me. But at the same time, I'm still saying that I don't want to write with them because of their errors, even if it's because I basically need a disability accommodation. How do I word this?

Anonymous poster hash: af9ad...7a4

It sounds like you two have conflicting disabilities.

When I used to frequent places where people liked to use tiny font, I usually stated in my searches that I cannot read tiny text.

If I were you, I'd apologize for getting their hopes up and tell them outright that I have a disability that makes their writing impossible for me read and that it has nothing to do with the quality of their storytelling. Plenty of people put down and never look back at messy handwriting, too. I'd wish them well because hey, it's not like either of us chose to be in this awkward situation.

Best of luck, and may you two find writers who are more compatible.

• Agree 2

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

Be honest. Don't make it about what they're doing wrong. Be kind. That's really all you can do when you don't think you're meshing with another writer. It's okay to give constructive criticism. Just focus on the constructive part. "I struggle with reading, friend, (you can tell them why if your comfortable with that) I can't always understand your whole posts. I love our plot ideas and I want to find a way to keep writing together. Would you be willing to run your posts through a spell checker to catch typos and missing words?" 

BUT that being said- RP is a hobby intended purely for enjoyment. You're not obligated to write with anyone you don't want to write with. Your also not obligated to tell them why. A very simple, "I don't like the way our writing styles pair up. We should ask to have our characters rematched." is sufficient if you want to break off the writing relationship. You should let your site admin know that the OOC match was unfavorable for you though, so that they can take your needs into account in future matches no matter what the outcome of this one turns out to be. 

• Love 1

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

Get a divorce. 

But for real you should address it, tell them you feel like you arent playing a the level of writing you should be. No one is going to be liked by everyone but slowly pulling the bandaid isn't going to make either of you happy.