Would you ban a member if they were spreading lies about your site?

Anonymous

just like the title says - would you ban a member if you found out they were spreading lies about your site to other people, making you and your site look bad, etc. ?

Anonymous poster hash: f47b8...976

If they were telling lies about your site, then yes, that is not the type of attitude you need on your site. If they are going out of their way to badmouth your site, why are they there in the first place? 

• Agree 3
  • Preach it! 1

user posted image                                                                                              

I banned a member for this, he was going around various forums claiming my site was racist. In reality racist behaviors are strictly not tolerated in my community. It was a deliberate smear campaign he was doing to hurt my site's reputation and he admitted as much. Of course I banned him! I'm not going to provide service to people who are actively trying to harm me.

• Agree 2

I think like @Mab I am more confused about the individual(s) is even a member on the site at all. While I'm aware of the fact that not every site is suitable or right for every member it seems rather, well, dumb to bad mouth a community that they are part of just from the point of view that the other members are going to be judging them (and not in a nice way)...

However, you don't need or have to deal with that kind of behaviour. Nor should you. 

If you have absolute proof, you could share it with them when being banned but honestly, I suspect that you have some form of rule about respect and that behaviour, is the opposite of that. It's not even about you, personally, as the site owner. This individual is slandering all the people on your site as well. No one deserves that. I would recommend kicking them as soon as you can and get on with your life afterwards. 

Ain't nobody got time for that....

Edited by Renya
  • Agree 2

Meh. Two people can have very different perspectives, so just because someone's criticizing myself or my site doesn't mean I'd ban them. I'd really rather not create a culture of fear around discussing the things that bother people.

If someone's literally a pathological or habitual liar, though - that's not a fixable problem on my end. Yes, I'd ban someone who I know is actively prone to stirring drama and won't leave when asked. I'd ban someone who's caused that drama in the past and refuses to leave willingly, too, if it were bad enough: if they've shaped up and become a different person, great. But it would be a disservice to them and I both to let them stay in a situation where I will always be bracing for their past behaviors, and it's not my job to forgive them.

Edited by Somniac
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I think so most people who want to do this are just dramatic and toxic to players. 

• I read this! 1

Context matters I think. Someone who has made it a mission to trek around to various corners of the internet specifically to make disparaging comments about my site, yeah I'd ban them. The intent is to harm, and that kind of person is going to be detrimental to the community. If there was simply a disagreement, and this person was having some sort of meaningful dialog about that disagreement elsewhere, with the intent being to find some way to resolve the differences, then I'd obviously do my best to help find the shortest path to that mutual resolution. The other party's intent is everything though.

• Agree 2

Ask me about Werepenguin!

It would entirely depend on the details of the situation, but if it really was becoming a big issue, I would discuss it with the staff before taking any action. My own personal input to the staff would entirely depend on the circumstances and impact the member in question was having on the site.

However, I feel that a ban would only have limited effect. If they are an active user and post regularly, I can see how banning the member would have an impact on them, but if they are dedicating the majority of their time to posting on other sites and rarely posting on your sites, then banning the member does little to remedy the situation.

Sadly I have no solution for the latter other than waiting for the member in question to move on to something else.

• Agree 1

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

I would if I could, but banning in this situation wouldn't do much assuming they weren't on your own site. They're elsewhere tarnishing your board's name. If anything, I think the admins of the other sites should warn (and then ban if it persisted) said person and delete those related posts from their site because behaviour like that usually isn't allowed. If it's happening on Discord, in private, etc., there's really nothing to be done.

Once they've expended their energy, they'll become bored and stop. Things will eventually blow over and you'll see new members again, or so I would think.

jAV3hKd.png

I guess it depends on the situation and what the lies they were spreading consisted of. However, my assumption is that someone who would go out of their way to spread false rumors about a site/community would have had some real issues or caused problems. Assuming so, and word got back to us about it, then yea probably.

Though I'd also figure that if they were doing that, they would already have left the community, whether voluntarily or by being banned in the first place. 

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

• 2 weeks later...

Like others have said, it definitely depends on the situation... whether it's criticism or the intent to be hurtful or slandering a reputation.

Criticism does not deserve a ban -- negative comments said about a site don't particularly deserve a ban... like there was no ill-intent, whoever said it was just stating their opinion.

However, to go around to various sites and spread lies, drama, half-truths, etc. definitely seems like their goal would be to spread hate and hurt someone's reputation. I'd definitely let down the ban-hammer for that one. 

If that person was going out of their way to spread a toxic criticism and drama to other sites about my site, yes I would ban them. It's one thing if they didn't like the site and where just sharing their opinion or something, but it's another thing if they are actively going out of their way to stir up drama and bring others into the drama. I try to create a comfortable environment for members so toxic behavior like this is a ban.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like we need more context to answer this one properly. What kind of lies? Do you know why? Has this person misbehaved before?

Sidenote, but Toastie, I love your icon! Moira  MacTaggert is my fave.

If there's solid evidence, and if they're blatant lies, then yes. But if you heard it from someone else, make sure it's a credible source that can back up those claims. Nothing worse than unsubstantiated rumours.

Also, it depends how 'true' these things are. Sometimes people misunderstand each other, especially online. If it's minor things they're complaining about, and you feel you could talk to them and air out any grievances, that's also a possibility.

But at the end of the day it's your site. You can ban someone for saying they hate nutella if you really want. Not that it's morally right, but you can. xD

• Preach it! 1