A forum site with little-to-no administration?

Zelkova

• Operations Mod
On 12/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, Zelkova said:

In theory (and perhaps in practise if anyone's tried), do you think it's possible to make a forum RP that had virtually no admin/staff?

It is entirely possible. I could even argue that its the best model for running an RP site. 

What really makes a great site? Automation. If the site can't function without an active admin, then it is a poorly designed site. 

That may come across as anti-intuitive, but anyone trying to argue otherwise is a spotlight/attention seeker. They want to be in control, and they want to think that other people are impressed by the control they exert over their internet domain. I'm going to use a throw back example here, but Neopets wouldn't be the enterprise it is today if its original creators weren't willing to step out of the spotlight and allow automation to run the better part of the site. 

The hallmarks of a well designed site are efficiency based. The site should be capable of functioning fluidly without the admin being permanently present. If the admin gets sick, has some kind of emergency, whatever - the site should be able to move on, forward, and function without their constant baby sitting. 

And at the end of the day, the admin who put so much damn work and effort into the site should be allowed to step back and enjoy all the fruits of their labor. 

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I /Try/ to run my sites that way, to the best of my ability - only stepping in to answer questions, volunteer help if people are stuck in the brainstorming process, lore-breaking things that need correcting, etc. My /IDEAL/ Admin job is to only have to mediate rarely as "Final Law" and do a handful of technical stuff.  Don't think I've succeeded though, have no idea how to achieve my wish, but TOTALLY believe it's possible.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg