What would you do?

Honorem

Had a new (or so I thought) member come to our chat. They PMed me to discuss their character, and it turns out they are IP and email banned from my forum. But not the chat as we didn't have that years back when they joined.

They told me it must have happened years ago, and apologised. I couldn't remember for the life of me, but was happy to give them a second chance - a decision which lasted all of five seconds.

They proceeded to tell me their character ideas, which were lore-breaking (immortal thousands year old character). I told them unfortunately not, and that they'd have to stick to the established species lifespans. I even apologised and gave them a reason:

"Unfortunately that wouldn't work. We don't have immortal characters here. If I allowed one person to app one, it would be unfair on the other members. I would have to allow it for every character, and that's not a direction I want to take the site in."

Their response to this was:

"I don't care for staff's excuses."

I had to double take. I replied:

"Excuse me?"

They must have sensed that I didn't like such an attitude. They followed up by saying out of nowhere that they are disabled cannot communicate very well online. While I sympathise, that's no reason for them to be impatient and mean. I am starting to see why I had banned them in the past, even if I still couldn't remember them.

I let it go, and the conversation continued.

Red flag number two was creating a canon. This canon is presently taken. I informed them of such:

"Sorry but that canon is taken at this time"

Their response:

"Wtf"

I left it and didn't respond. They said they were going to bed after half an hour of silence, and now they're offline.

I still can't remember who they were or what they did to warrant a ban, but I see a pattern of disrespect and immaturity already. So I want to keep the ban in place.

The question is how should I go about this? Politely inform them that unfortunately they will have to find another site? Or just say nothing and block?

Bit of a dilemma. I want to be as kind as possible in this unfortunate circumstance.

Edited by Honorem
paragraph formatting

Mmm from what I have seen of your interaction thus far, I have to clap in my hands as you kept your cool and calm. You can see the direction of the chat going and you didn't give in to their demands or ways. So keeping the ban in place is a logical step, their behavior shows that they have no intention to talk civil or work with your site material. 

A ban is something I give in very rare cases, sexual harassment, abusive behavior or anything else deemed in my eyes as extreme. In this case I would also ban them, one would be their behavior, two the use of disabled people in their benefits sickens me and their manipulative behavior. So keep them ban 🙂

• Agree 4

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

Keep it as simple as possible for you: ban them on site and on your chat. Don't look back. Don't feel bothered to say anything. They don't deserve it. They started their shit immediately after you showed them a kindness. They don't care. They just want their way. 

If you really, really want to give them closure, write them a message while they're offline with your reasons for banning them, and just do it. The conversation is likely to go south, demands will be made that you likely won't accept, so save yourself all of that trouble and just do a clean cut! 

Edited by Sammiie
oop late!
  • Agree 2