Creating Rules?

TheGrrlGeek

It's been many years since I created or ran a game, and yet I find myself wanting to create one. I've been working on creating the website, developing the plot, and that kind of thing, but I find myself struggling with putting together a just, fair, and articulate set of rules. Are there any good resources that admins have used to create rules?

TheGrrlGeek

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the above guide, peruse some forums in a similar genre as the one you're building. That'll help remind you of things you haven't had to consider in a while. I'd definitely suggest swinging back to the guide after you've accumulated common rules in your genre, because a lot of times people just collect rules because it's normal when they aren't actually needed.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, Shieb said:

In addition to the above guide, peruse some forums in a similar genre as the one you're building. That'll help remind you of things you haven't had to consider in a while. I'd definitely suggest swinging back to the guide after you've accumulated common rules in your genre, because a lot of times people just collect rules because it's normal when they aren't actually needed.

This is how I often like to handle it, finding really good models of the site/game I want to build and then learning from the rules they've assembled. I try to stay as light as possible,  I don't want people to need to go through a rule codex just to  write.

Star Trek: Olympus

Outside the above guide, I will add one thing about when you have your site rules. If a situation comes up that you want to prevent happening again such as activity, lore, or member behaviour, you can add to your rules. I'd always make sure to post an announcement to let members know a rule was added or changed. It might be an activity change, a ban on multiple species per member due to overpopulation, etc. 

Also, even if you don't have a written rule you can enforce behaviour issues. Many times I read staff worried they cannot speak to a member about something they don't feel is acceptable, but don't because "its not listed in the rules". Sometimes you have to enforce certain conduct on a site as an unspoken rule. It might be a member is constantly poking everyone about their owed replies and members are feeling pressured and uncomfortable. IT might not be a rule but you can still tell the member to tone down their poking for posts as it's causing some discomfort even if it's not a rule. 

So, some things can be enforced without a given rule, and added after a situation occurs. 

• Preach it! 1

spacer.png

Keep it clean and concise. Nobody really enjoys reading the housekeeping so the shorter it is, the more likely people will actively read it and pay attention in my opinion. The guide above is great, and like... @Shiebsaid: Stalk similar forums and see what their rules are like. You'll know what you like as an admin, but sometimes you need to compromise for the sake of a larger community. For example: I actively HATE templates that have hovers and clicky things and unseen scrollys and come in horrible colours with fluffy framing. hate, hate, hate, positively loaaaathe. It will always clash with a site's graphics. But some people like making their shit fancy and so I'm lenient with wanteds/trackers/etc, so long as actual posts are clean. 

Keep your rules to a minimum and honestly, don't hesitate to have friends look over them for you - or use a resource site and have the community review them. Not for the content, so much, because at the end of the day, that's YOUR choice, but for the way they're written. 

Go over the usual housekeeping: Don't be an asshole covers respect. Cover account set up (if you require an OOC account before characters). Activity. Rating. Age restrictions if you have them. Face claims. Graphics (if you want them to a particular measurement). Application rules. Honestly, I can't really think of anything else.

At the end of the day; there's nothing stopping you from updating and acquiring new rules as your site grows because sometimes something happens and you realise that for some people a rule needs to be put in place. It's unfortunate, but it certainly happens. 

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png