Old West RPG? (1870s Minnesota, rural village life.)

Kieran

I can find only one active Old West rpg site and unfortunately it's not one where I could develop my characters the way I'd like to. And it seems there doesn't exist a roleplayer who'd be truly inspired to play on 1x1 site, judging by how they keep disappearing just when we've started.

Is there any interest in a multi-player Old West rpg as follows?

- It would be set in the late 1870s in a fictionalized version of Burns which at the time was a rural village in southwest Minnesota.

- Only that village would be fictionalised. Overall the game would be based on real life history and aim at realism. As in you'd need to do research on the time period and other locations whilst creating your character and whilst writing game events. But I would not be anal about it, I try to avoid nitpicking, as in things wouldn't have to be perfectly accurate as long it's nothing major. I would provide some of the most essential info on the website so no one needs to research everything.

- It would be for people who enjoy writing historical everyday life in a rural community. The vilage would be rather small but developed enough to have numerous different seevices and townhouses too so your character doesn't need to be a farmer and there'd be potential for colourful variety of game events. Game locations would also include New York City and you could set a game event anywhere you need.
But the point is, it would not be a wild west rpg but an old west rpg focusing on a small community's everyday life.

- Character driven, no site wide plot. 

- The time flow would be fluid. The timeline would be a few years in the late 1870s. 

- My characters would be a farmer family including the parents and a very young son (5+ years old) and the son would be my main character with the parents as side characters. I could write separate events with the parents if needed, they just don't have their own biographies yet. And I also have a Native American father and his 7+ years old son, both main characters.

- Celebrity play-bys would be allowed but not mandatory to use.
Also child PBs under the age of 13. I personally use PBs for all my characters.

- The site would be rated 3-2-2. Minimum age for joining would be 15. 

- Self-hosted, using myBb.

Anyone interested to join? Any questions or suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

CHILDREN OF MERLIN - HARRT POTTER 1980S RPG
| Small app | Fluid time | Lots of species |

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, I'm sorry, I'd missed the reactions feature there. Okay, thank you so much @Grimscythe,  @Sheena and @Dragon

I'm planning to put a significant amount of time and energy into it even before opening because I want it to be a high quality site, so I need to fish for a large number of definite interest before I go for it. As even definite interest doesn't yet guarantee actual joining and activity, for naturally the final product is what matters the most for potential members. But I must say this looks promiseing. 🙂 Still going to wait and see for a while longer, though. 

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

• 2 weeks later...

@Grimscythe

@Sheena

@Dragon

Alright, folks.  Here it is! :) In addition to my characters I mentioned in the original post, I also created and took the village doctor as a character. And there's Wanted Ads for the priest and the school teacher. The latter two are NPCs until they are taken.

HOME ON THE PRAIRIE

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

@Grimscythe

@Sheena

@Dragon

I completely forgot about Discord being important to many people. How many of you might join even if I never add a Discord for the site? It has a Cbox, and I could make a Skype group discussion for it, but Discord is alien to me and I'm not a big fan of drawing essential activities away from the site itself so even the Skype group is kinda unappealing thought for me - but potential members' opinions weigh a lot. So the lot of you, please let me know how important a Discord on a site is to you?

Across three sites I got ten expressions of interest. I can make a decision on this matter if I manage to get at least most of these ten opinions on this. Of course in the end I have to do what I myself feel comfortable with after getting to know Discord a bit because I can't opt out of whatever communication venues my site offers, but I definitely want to seriously note potential members' feelings. 

The site is now listed here on  Initiative, Home on the Prairie, .also linked in my previous post. 

Edited by Kieran

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

Unfortunately, I'm not able to add another game to my play list at this moment, so I don't feel my opinion on this front would be relevant.

Ahhh how funny. I have a 1870s western game too, but it's supernatural. Great minds think alike!

@russianspy24, That's cool. 🙂 If you're interested in affiliating, we have a guest friendly Affiliate forum. 

@Grimscythe Sure it is, if you're planning to ever join us whether it's today or two years from now. I value the opinion of all who are truly interested, not just those who would join right away. But it's okay, you give your opinion if you feel like it. If not, then just welcome to the board whenever you've got the time and I hope it's all in all appealing to you at that point. 🙂

I just bought a 3-months period of Cbox Premium to try it out, which if I understood correctly, has the few most essential features people enjoy about a Discord, so I'm hoping that's enough for everyone interested and works out. 

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

@Kieran I see your affiliate page. Unfortunately we haven't been around for six months... 

• Like 1

@Elena Thank you for the love. 🙂  I hope you noticed that the RPG has now been founded and is open, if you'd like to join at any time. If memory serves me you've reacted positively to many of my RPing related posts here throughout the years, so I reckon at least our RP chemistry would be great.
Here's the directory listing: HOME ON THE PRAIRIE
I may not ever add a Discord there but I pay for Cbox Premium and will make use of its channels feature if this site gains very chatty members or if different channels are asked for. 🙂

@russianspy24 Oh, well, if you still want to and remember to then, feel free to drop a request there when you have been around six months. That minimum requirement is there to reduce the risk of a whole bunch of affiliate boards disappearing within the first few months. I reckon that if an admin is interested in keeping their site around for six months it is likely that it will be around for much longer than that. Or at least I don't want to make the minimum any higher. I've heard it's quite common for sites to die within the first few months and I have personal experience of that too as a player.

Edited by Kieran

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

8 hours ago, Kieran said:

@Elena Thank you for the love. 🙂  I hope you noticed that the RPG has now been founded and is open, if you'd like to join at any time. If memory serves me you've reacted positively to many of my RPing related posts here throughout the years, so I reckon at least our RP chemistry would be great.
Here's the directory listing: HOME ON THE PRAIRIE
I may not ever add a Discord there but I pay for Cbox Premium and will make use of its channels feature if this site gains very chatty members or if different channels are asked for. 🙂

@russianspy24 Oh, well, if you still want to and remember to then, feel free to drop a request there when you have been around six months. That minimum requirement is there to reduce the risk of a whole bunch of affiliate boards disappearing within the first few months. I reckon that if an admin is interested in keeping their site around for six months it is likely that it will be around for much longer than that. Or at least I don't want to make the minimum any higher. I've heard it's quite common for sites to die within the first few months and I have personal experience of that too as a player.

Oh totally. Sites do die easily, and I totally understand!

Kieran, while we don't agree to each thing in part, I generally agree with you and I love Old West. Therefore, if I ever have time for a RPG (my own is in process of closing, no new threads are allowed and the 4=5 ongoing ones are epilogues only) I am thinking about yours.

3 hours ago, Elena said:

Kieran, while we don't agree to each thing in part, I generally agree with you and I love Old West. Therefore, if I ever have time for a RPG (my own is in process of closing, no new threads are allowed and the 4=5 ongoing ones are epilogues only) I am thinking about yours.

Great. Thanks! 🙂

• Love 1

CoM_title_forum_2021.png