Wonderdraft Fantasy Map Creation

StormWolfe

If our coterie picks back up, I will add discussions for working with Inkarnate and other map-creation applications. This topic will be Wonderdraft specific but we won't kick you out if you have other maps to share.

So, I have a new graphic display drawing tablet which has made working on my site's maps a real treat! I mainly use Wonderdraft and Photoshop. However, Inkarnate's new interface and updates are incredible. I am considering using it for my city-maps because the symbols are so much nicer than Wonderdraft's. I have not decided on that yet.

Here is the first of my regional specific maps for my Chronicles of Aereth sword and sorcery RPG. At a glance, I think I need to fix the trees and maybe increase the scale of the mountains.

hy-brasil.thumb.jpg.f82be0598f82eac32aa23adf6abfb475.jpg

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh nice. Are the new Inkarnate icons for the free version or the pro version? 

And I think the mountains are a pretty decent scale, looking at the map.

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

Thank you re: the mountain scale on the map.

I am not sure about which of the new icons are available with the standard Inkarnate version. I have the pro. But they did some awesome work for the new release. I really like Inkarnate's UI better than Wonderdraft's, but Wonderdraft has the upload and download features that I need and you can trace map outlines as well. I will probably use Inkarnate for some of my detailed town maps because their house and castle icons are so much nicer than Wonderdraft's.

RPG-Initiative

You're welcome! And it looks like it's probably in the pro version. The free version still has the very basic ones that I remember and ended up not wanting to use. I also picked up Campaign Cartographer 3 for its Cosmographer/space mapping. Need to see what CC3+ has for city icons. Not done a lot with it yet. 

Campaign Cartographer is a new one for me. I'll check into it. It might be one of those that wasn't Mac compatible. That's where I ran into mapping software problems. I confess, I am hooked on all of Wonderdraft's features. It's great for a person with zero artistic talent. 

RPG-Initiative

It's a much older software and isn't free. Don't remember if it has the possibility of working on Mac or not. I've never run a macbook. Ahh, yeah. Wonderdraft does have some that are far more intuitive and manageable than the rest.