Cboxes and Shoutboxes: Why should I use them?

Grimscythe

I downloaded Discord a couple hours ago, and so far, my initial impression is that it's the most convoluted way to say "hi" that I've ever seen. I have so much anxiety just looking at it. The #1 advantage of the cbox, IMO, is that there's no learning curve. People know how to use it intuitively. I don't need bells and whistles to have a conversation.

I will try to give discord at least a few weeks before I give up on it, but I still don't see the point of discord besides "everyone else does it", and thus, we've reached the same, opposite conclusion. Hopefully I can sucker someone else into dealing with it.  Wish me luck XD.

trWJFyW.jpg.ad3989be07828341d22b3ef27aef8cb5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I like C-boxes because it gives a good "At a glance" indicator of a site's activity rather than having to skim through boards to see if anything's actually happening. If the latest message is a week or less old? Site's probably active, give it a closer look. Last message was in 2015? Yeah, move on.

Hello! New member extraordinare!

Although I enjoy chatboxes and discords, next time I run a site, I'm probably not going to have one at all- in my experience people end up being super active in CB but never post on-site

4 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

I hate to disagree with you because I used to believe this as well, but I've actually recently been on a site that was extremely active where the C-Box's last message was over 6 years ago.

I've actually run a site with that same "feeling" to it.

Really! I haven't seen that before. :0 Guess I'll have to take a closer look in the future.

Hello! New member extraordinare!

I'm kind of anxious about what to do about discord for the site I'm running ^^ should I do a site embed and be done with it?

I'm not personally too fond of discord because I don't like to get sucked into multiple servers... since I have the attention span of a goldfish >.< But I also feel like if I don't show up on the discord regularly as an admin, people aren't going to feel like it's "official"

In my personal experience, cboxes just end up abandoned - on my site we have a toggle for an embedded discord where guests can ask questions and it works pretty much the same, and it has a direct invite to the server. I know Discord isn't for everyone though! 

Super stoked admin at

DIRECTORYAD.gif

Since the opening of my site back in June, I've not had one person ask me why we don't have a chat box and I don't care to set one up, honestly. We do have a Discord and there is a guest channel that people can open up, pop in, and ask questions. I did add a whole bunch of styles and a space for the Titan Discord widget on our theme to have something like a chat box, but ultimately decided against it - that it wasn't necessary.

I did, however, code a listing of members on our Discord server which makes an API call to Discord's widget.json. This displays the members who are actively on the guest channel, so people can still see that there are folks chatting somewhere.

Edited by memoria

banner-01-88x31.jpg
Khyeras: an original fantasy RPG.

"I keep wanting to write 'dwarves' as 'drawers'."

"Land of the Drawers... we call it... Ikea."

They could be used as method of instant communication between your users, however, I much prefer having a Discord server alongside the forums–no, I'm not using Titan, but I do use certain integration plugins to make the connection between the Discord server and the forums as seamless as I can possibly make it.  I've still be considering using a C-Box as an option for my members who do not wish to use Discord.