So... What now? Stories about sudden site closures

snowbird

For almost two decades, I embarked on a quest to find a new Medieval High Fantasy roleplay community, longing for a place where I could immerse myself in a sandboxy world without fear of sudden closures. With each new landing, hope was mingled with trepidation, as I yearned for a haven free from random deletions, staff conflicts, and ego-driven chaos that tore communities apart. Alas, my search was a bittersweet one.

Time and again, I found myself in places that mirrored the past: a few egocentric staff wielded power, punishing and isolating those who dared to question. Communication faltered, and the hunger for an authentic Medieval High Fantasy experience remained unfulfilled. Heartache followed as sites I tried to call home imploded, leaving me adrift. 

The pain of losing my formative roleplay community lingered, leaving an ache in my heart that time couldn't heal. Only years later did I come to recognize the gaslighting, DARVO tactics, and cronyism that had shattered my youthful refuge. Each new encounter with echoes of the past deepened the sorrow, and I yearned for a place that would understand my longing, respect my voice, and embrace my passion for Medieval High Fantasy. My quest continues, hopeful that one day, I'll find a true home to rekindle the magic of my cherished memories.

During my time online, I went to places like RPG-Directory where some people acted in a mean way, pretending to support marginalized groups, but really they were causing trouble. When I tried to speak up and challenge these bad actions, things didn't go well for me at all and I was gaslit when I took the time to write thoughtful correspondence to the administration about their decisions. It made me sad and hurt that I couldn't handle those disingenuous people and their fake support.

I'm still looking for a safe place where everyone can talk openly and support each other without fear.

• Love 1

• 7 months later...

My first ever site went mostly dark after half the members left for reasons I still don't know to this day. It took me almost a full year before deciding to try another site. Lucky for me my favorite RP partner still wanted to write with me and invited me to join her on this other site! I'm so happy now 😄

• Love 1