Fantasy OC Universe site idea

Never

Title really says it all. I'm working on a fantasy universe that I might want to run as a site. Before I put more time and effort into it, however, I'd like to know if I could actually get people on board. 

Now, I'm not looking for a metric fuckton of people but if nobody is interested here or on Reddit, I might scrap this idea for now. 

Please don't hesitate to offer your feedback or ask questions if you have them.

Do keep in mind this is all still in (first) draft, and I am merely looking to check if it's worth the time and effort from this point on. 

So let's get into things, shall we? 

The extremely short version of the history of this universe;

The realm of Iridor is as old as the dawn of time itself. Nobody knows how the universe started, but it started with the world of Enastros. This world consisted of many races, including those now living on Sanctum, Estinial, Solum and Atrox. Even on Enastros, Humans were known for their crude ways, and the Satyr for their love for dancing. Since the dawn of time, these races existed and lived together, though not all in harmony. Various bouts were sparked between them over the centuries. More than once did the races fight over land, resources, even mates among some of them. 

A most terrible war broke out among the races and would not resolve "naturally". 

The ones considered Gods - the Magisters - eventually decided to interfere. They created the four worlds of Sanctum, Solum, Atrox and Estinial and separated the races. They choose carefully who they sent were, as to avoid such death and destruction again. 

Once they were done, they bound themselves by magic to never be able to interfere on such a scale again. 

About the worlds: 

Sanctum 

Home of the Discipulus, Clericus, Scriba and the Magisters. Among various races they are considered Gods, and in a sense they are. They record the world as it is, and not as it should be. Their libraries are filled with magical artifacts, as well as countless books of that which has passed. Needless to say, their safe have, their sanctum, is seemingly endless. 

These races will be least in play on account of their God-like abilities. At this time there are no storylines that would involve Sanctum at all, and the only PCs allowed would be the Discipulus - the lowest tier of these people

Solum

Home of the Sirens, Humans, Vampires and Halflings. Some of these races do not get along well with others. While the Halflings are friendly to most, the Humans tend to be weary of that which is unfamiliar to them. Unlike most races, magic (or absence thereof) isn't a given. The Vampires, driven by their bloodlust, are feared and hated among all races and the Sirens prefer to dwell in their underwater kingdoms.

Atrox 

Home to the Elves, Dragonborn, Dwarves and the Winged Folk (I've yet to give them a finalized name). 

Dwarves are a stout and rock-loving people. They are also a proud race, and not easily befriended. Dragonborn share many of the Dwarven traits and they have a friendly alliance going on, even though they 

Both races are especially weary of the more aloof Winged Folk, who appear to be happy to fly around all day long, and look down - literally and figuratively - to those who are bound by their lack of wings. they consider the Dwarves and Dragonborn unyielding and unnecessarily serious about much in life. 

The elves are not easily categorized, on account of their different subtypes. Each of them comes with specific traits and magic.

Estinial

Home of the Nymphs, Dryads, Satyrs and Fae. 

Dryads and Nymphs are known to procreate with one another, although the outcome of doing so is different for each race. For the Dryads, it is considered a great feat to win a Nymph as a mate. For the Nymphs, it is reason to  be looked down upon by their fellow Nymphs. 

They both think the Satyrs and Fae are a curious people, though they wish them no harm. The Satyrs are a fairly simple people who are happy to sing and dance from sunup to sundown. Yet, they share their love for beauty and beautiful things with the Nymphs. The Fae are a secretive people, who often hide in the light of things they do not know. or would harm them. It's a trait that has sefved them well over the years. They are, overall, the most pacifistic of races. 

Last of all, there are the Worldless Races, those who are not native to a specific world and can be found on every single one of them; Demons, Shapeshifters and Werebeasts. 

As you can imagine, each world has it's own challenges, it's own pro's and cons. This leads to a lot of opportunity, and lots of different stories to be told.  

Some RP & site notes;

1. For 16+ people only
  2. OC only 
  3. No X rated stuff, and R rated only in the designated areas
  4. People can have more than one active character and play in more than one RP at a time (there will be a cap, I'm currently thinking of 5 per person)
  5. People can play half-breeds but
    1. The parents are from the same world (e.g. no mixing a Siren x Nymph or a Human x Dwarf)
    2. Halfbreeds would also have magic/supernatural ability from one (1, uno, ein, один) parent
    3. The number of half-breeds will be capped (no cap set yet)
  6. Under very controlled  and extremely rare circumstances, characters might travel from one world to the next. (Currently an ability allowed in 1:20 characters, but this might change depending on how many active characters there are)
  7. There will be a list of "forbidden abilities" that PCs cannot have or be able to do (to avoid OPs) though they might exist within the universe.
  8. There will be a character sheet in place (and a character approval process)
  9. There will be a (small) word count per post of about 6 lines / 100 words (~1 paragraph)
  10. The regular RP courtesies (metagaming, godmodding etc) will be in place
  11. Site will operate under a three strike rule (four if you count the friendly reminder I tend to give out before getting to the warning of people)
  12. After a few weeks of inactivity a character will be taken out of the RP (placed on inactive). After a few months, the character will go into the recycle bin (removed from the site). Cut-off points not yet known)

Site things that have not yet been decided on

1. Currently contemplating if PM/DM RP would be allowed (leaning heavily towards no at this time but no final decision has been made at the time of this post)
  2. Paid vs Free software / hosting (e.g. jcink vs xenforo vs ips vs proboards)

Note: it'll be a few months before this place is ready. I've been a mod or admin for various communities at this point, so I know the kind of works that go into setting things up. At this point in time I'm not yet comfortable bringing in others to help me develop the Universe further (though I totally will down the line)

I've also yet to find people willing to help run this place.

Note the second: there will be a discord attached, rather than an onsite chat/shoutbox feature.

• Like 2

I think this is a wonderful idea, though I do have a question and a bit of feedback. 

Question: Are each of the worlds going to have their own story-lines and plots? If yes, are you comfortable keeping up with that many plots and progressing them and keeping those worlds relevant?

Feedback: My biggest worry is that one world would be more popular than another. This would result in the few people who were attracted to a less popular world to struggle with finding threads and getting a chance to write their stories and experience their characters. That is my primary concern. This can be remedied in several ways: Allowing travel between worlds or starting your site with one world and introducing the others as like "an expansion", like a video game. Because at that point, you would already have a member base, you can begin to introduce the lore and species for this new zone and people are more likely to make another character to thread in this new world. I also think that would be a very interesting and unique way to bring everything you have into the forum and get people hyped for new stuff. 

I also would suggest taking the Discipulus off from the playable characters. Since they are the only people from that world who are playable, I feel it is too restricting and you're likely to run into the problem I first mentioned (they won't have anyone to thread with). However, I think that world could serve many purposes through NPC one-shots and even releasing records that they have taken of the other worlds for members to read. You could create The Library of Sanctum that contains lore, but primarily focuses on recent events in the other worlds. This keeps the presence of Sanctum, but allows you to safely make it an unplayable area that's primarily for Staff use. 

Your idea of having certain abilities unattainable is a very, very good idea. I'm not sure you're going to need a word count, but since it is so small, I don't see it as being a problem. Also, since you aren't allowing X-rated threads, I think you'd be safe on public hosting- but of course, that all depends on your preferences for the software and so on! 

I think this is a wonderful idea! I really wish I could help run this site with you, but I'm already up to my ears with my own site. However, if you do this and want someone to beta-read your info and go over your site when it is done, I would be happy to help. 

• Love 1

Thank you so much for your feedback! It's really helpful

On 3/3/2020 at 7:59 AM, PixieMegs said:

Question: Are each of the worlds going to have their own story-lines and plots? If yes, are you comfortable keeping up with that many plots and progressing them and keeping those worlds relevant?

Ok. Short answer: Yes. 

But, at no point in this entire venture have I been arrogant enough to think I can do this alone. So, I'm also talking to a few people who can help run games. Basically the site will have the rank of GM, aside from mods and admins. Of course I myself will run a few games, but before we go live, there'll be other GMs as well. 

Feedback: My biggest worry is that one world would be more popular than another. This would result in the few people who were attracted to a less popular world to struggle with finding threads and getting a chance to write their stories and experience their characters. That is my primary concern. This can be remedied in several ways: Allowing travel between worlds or starting your site with one world and introducing the others as like "an expansion", like a video game. Because at that point, you would already have a member base, you can begin to introduce the lore and species for this new zone and people are more likely to make another character to thread in this new world. I also think that would be a very interesting and unique way to bring everything you have into the forum and get people hyped for new stuff. 

this is actually one of my main concerns and issues as well. This is in part why I would not be the only one working on plotlines. However, I do like your suggestion very much, and I am going to see how I could make it work precisely. 

I also would suggest taking the Discipulus off from the playable characters. Since they are the only people from that world who are playable, I feel it is too restricting and you're likely to run into the problem I first mentioned (they won't have anyone to thread with). However, I think that world could serve many purposes through NPC one-shots and even releasing records that they have taken of the other worlds for members to read. You could create The Library of Sanctum that contains lore, but primarily focuses on recent events in the other worlds. This keeps the presence of Sanctum, but allows you to safely make it an unplayable area that's primarily for Staff use. 

This too, is a very valid point, and something I've been toying with already. 

The reason the lowest rank is still an option, is because there are a few ideas that would allow for them to go "off world" and mingle like a pringle. that said, it's very possible the final result has this in it's lore and that GMs play Sanctum-creatures, rather them being PCs.

I'm actually already working out an idea that could incorporate what you are suggesting. 

Your idea of having certain abilities unattainable is a very, very good idea. I'm not sure you're going to need a word count, but since it is so small, I don't see it as being a problem. Also, since you aren't allowing X-rated threads, I think you'd be safe on public hosting- but of course, that all depends on your preferences for the software and so on!

The reason I am going with one, is because I just really want to avoid 1-liners. I keep it low on purpose, and of course I'm gonna try my damnest to make it impossible to respond with a one-liner. Just in case, I want it out there that  many 1-liners aren't really appreciated in this setting. which isn't to say they can't happen from time to time, but on average, I'm gonna expect more than that. 

The reason that i'm not yet certain how and where to run the site, is because I'm not yet sure that it would be worth the investment of money. This is just something I'll have to decide and research as I'm also working on the rest. Making a false start can kill a site. The reason I'm mentioning it is because I know some people have a (strong) preference for software. E.g. I have a friend who won't touch sites that are run on jcink with a 10 foot pole. I know somebody else who hates VBulletin enough to avoid sites who run on it. 

So yeah, there's just still a lot of pro/conning and research to be done there.

I think this is a wonderful idea! I really wish I could help run this site with you, but I'm already up to my ears with my own site. However, if you do this and want someone to beta-read your info and go over your site when it is done, I would be happy to help. 

I might just take you up on that offer! 
because yes, I'm thinking of a "beta stage" where people test out things, read etc. During this time it wouldn't be officially open yet, but it could help find the most important issues. Because again, false starts.

Thanks you so much for your feedback and support 

• Love 1