Member Awards?

theoryNine

Do you present awards to members? What kind do you like to present? Do you think it helps energize your writers?

I'm trying to think up some I can give out. I've got some basic ideas like "Newcomer Achievement" for especially impactful newcomers, "Collaborative Posting Merit" for a very noteworthy joint post between people or for someone who strives to create really strong collaborative posts. Milestone awards for length of time as a member. Maybe an award for people who really help expand on plot ideas or bring fresh options to the table.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Star Trek: Olympus

Hm.. Player/Post of the month/quarter.  Something for an awesome or creative solo post.  Recruitment award. If you allow more than one playable character maybe a species type, "created a Trill. created a Vulcan."  Attendance - "Never missed a day" -by the month? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

Yeah definitely player/post of the month awards are great ones for sure. I also really like the idea of a recruitment award, I have had players who specifically have gone out of their way to help me populate a game in the past and I appreciate it tremendously.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

I find stages are better. So:

Reaching X IC posts, x plotter replies, thread pages, solo posts, getting new members, no absense in xyz timeframe, threads with 5+ members, etc

Then maybe some IC ones; made a character in 2 different membergroups, all membergroups, made someone over 30+, over 21+, character has a pet....

Edited by Lady Croft
  • Like 3

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, Lady Croft said:

I find stages are better. So:

Reaching X IC posts, x plotter replies, thread pages, solo posts, getting new members, no absense in xyz timeframe, threads with 5+ members, etc

Then maybe some IC ones; made a character in 2 different membergroups, all membergroups, made someone over 30+, over 21+, character has a pet....

Ha character has a pet is a neat one I'd never even thought of.

I do Character of the Month and Roleplay of the Month.

Also some basic 'achievements' that characters get for certain actions in roleplay. Though I will say achievements is not a good idea unless you have a method to keep on top of them. The Jcink awards system is very tedious to add each individual reward (have to add username, link to reward image, and a bunch of other information). If it were automated where you could pre-make awards and pick them via a drop down, it would make it much faster to add them. So what I'm saying is only implement a system like this if you can easily and efficiently add them, because it becomes a big job at times.

• Love 2

We do have awards but they’re automated and they’re things like adding an avatar or a signature or being a quick poster or hitting posting milestones. 

Reality is an illusion. 

On my current RP group we just have Character of the Month as nominated and voted by the players. But when I ran a Star Trek game, I also had award ribbons for each mission that their character actively participated in, as well as many others specific to the missions we played out (was it in Romulan space, Klingon space, etc). That way it encouraged everyone to be as active as possible.

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

• 1 month later...

Things like medals/trophies/badges can be great incentives to get your members to post more often, produce quality content, participate in events, and much more.  Featuring characters, threads, etc. is also a great way to inspire your members to write with higher quality.  People enjoy being recognized for their efforts. ❤️

We don't have medals or badges, though I do like them! It's just a lot of time spent creating the badges and we do other things to try to make up for it. We have a Character Spotlight, but we don't vote. I essentially ruled out voting because in the past I noticed a lot of favoritism. So we pool the characters into a list and use a random selection generator to pull out the winning character. If a person's character wins that month, that person isn't in the next month's round. We also have a quote thing in our header to showcase character quotes, these are nominated by members. And recently we have started posting 'spotlights' on our tumblr (even though not a whole lot of us use it). But it's a nice way to talk about the characters that are in certain plots/subplots and so on! 

We also have newspapers on site, which is a really fun way to recognize plots on site! 

On my site we have the Bertie Botts bean system that a friend of mine made, and essentially whenever a character completed an objective they would add a bean to their collection. The bean pixels themselves and the original concept was created originally by a friend of mine for her Harry Potter site which closed early/mid last year after 5 or 6 years, and since theres about 100 beans gone to waste!  Having really enjoyed the system in the past I asked if I could use them and she sent me the whole lot, and now we've re-vamped it on TKM ❤️

Personally I really love Of the Month awards and in the past have found them so rewarding, it makes my day when I receive the award, but I agree with the comment above that it can just be a popularity contest which is why so far it's not been implemented on my new site. It was prevelent on my first one - we had Quote of the Month, Thread of the Month, Character of the Month, and Pair of the month (could be platonic or an actual ship) and if I remember correctly we had rules that prevented people from constantly nominating the same people, and incentives to actually nominate at all (on this site we also had currency and shop though, so incentives were on-site currency) and we didn't run into any issues. It's something I might have a member vote on eventually and see if its something they would like - personally I love it, but it has its cons for sure. 

edit:

i've added some examples of how the beans look/work. The first is how they look on a normal post - when you hover your cursor over it it will tell you the criteria to get that bean/what the character did to achieve it. Second example is of where htey appear on the profile. This character so far is the leader when it comes to beans and has a great little collection going despite being open less than two weeks!!  The blue bean is the "patronus bean" (witness or conjure a patronus charm to earn it) the second is the beasty bean (meet a part-human character), the ink bean is for a thread at the ministry, and the apple is a thread at hogwarts.
To get the beans you *have* to have completed the thread too - completed as in all wrapped up and archived. This will encourage people to actually finish their threads, and also request to archive them properly and keep the board nice and tidy. The last example is a snippet from the actual list. 

Full credit for the beans and the concept goes to https://www.deviantart.com/rachelcurtis

beanexample.jpg

beanexample2.jpg

beansexample3.jpg

Edited by neverrmind
added pic for example

Super stoked admin at

DIRECTORYAD.gif

I've been away as the world left me pretty exhausted for a bit, but awesome to come back to many suggestions and ideas. Thanks for all the input so far, y'all 😄

I've done similar to the bean idea (which is freaking adorable btw), and its a lot of fun. We used to have our standard set, but every so often the staff would come up with a list of ridiculous ones to do as well, just for fun. If you limit some of them like "first person to do X", and if its something that takes a while to do, can foster some fun competitiveness with the right group of members. 

To add on with the OTM/featured stuff, another forum I was on did what we called "forum titles". Basically, we had a list of yearbook style superlatives (think the 'most likely to...' or 'best X' stuff), and every so often we would either nominate and vote, or have staff assign them. It depended on the award, generally. Again, we would mix a few silly ones in like 'character hoarder', 'most likely to get in the robot', 'most inactive' for the people who had announced they'd be away for a bit, and meme-related ones from Discord as those always seemed to be pretty popular.

Personally, I think the biggest thing is motivating every type of person you have. For some people, a little badge/award/whatever on their profile is enough. Some might be more motivated by a featured/interview thread. Others might respond better to some in-game perk, custom graphics that match the board's layout, or something along those lines. Heck, I've seen people go absolutely NUTS for spoilers/hints for upcoming events. 

That being said, do you 100% absolutely have to do all of these for everyone? No. Do some 'market research' on your members by offering a list of things they can get for achievements, and tweak things as you go...

/ramble

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

• 1 month later...

We do OtM for Male, Female, Member & Thread. We also do a OtY and different prizes for board milestones (anniversaries and what not). We also use the store function on jcink and that sort of gives them a chance to buy things for themselves and others.

Loving some of these ideas! Great job!

#New bar ad.png

• 1 month later...

I've only known the OTM/yearbooky awards (as mentioned above) as well as house points in a HP board for participating in our advent calendar (submitting short stories, graphics, etc.) which you could then use on the houses where you had a character in...

so those who were active within in the community were able to change the inplay course with their contributions, which was quite funny to see and i thought of using similar incentives in another setting...

However, some of the ideas here are bloody brillant!

no, thank you.

Mrs Carter Beyonce GIF