How do you handle apps that are outside the scope of your RP's lore

Honorem

I'm curious how people handle this. Say you have an RP set in a specific city or place, and someone makes an app where they're the ruler of some other place outside the scope of the RP. Do you allow it, or ask them to modify it?

The reason I ask is I'm planning an RP based around one futuristic city. This city will have lots of lore provided for it, but the world beyond not as much. However, at some point I will flesh out the wider world's lore, and I'm always cautious that an overly ambitious app might conflict with those developments.

Is it best to let apps like this just happen, or ask them to make something more grounded and 'local' to the setting?

I've never made an RP set in just one city before, so I'm anticipating this as a possible issue. But I don't even know if it is an issue, so rather get some insight from people who have run similar structured games.

Personally, I would allow it with the caveat that in order for the setting to ever expand into that character's home territory they would be personally responsible for leading the plots there. 

The site I run currently has several 'kingdoms' for lack of a better word. Our members enjoy making the leaders of these places. Which we encourage because variety is wonderful. However they have to build up the cultural lore for the area themselves, then run the plots to keep the area active. Admin are always ready to give in or give advice, but I think that it's fair to expect a bit more investment from someone that wants to play a world leader. It works very nicely for us.

• Like 4

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

I would allow it if they have a reason for their character to be in your current, local setting. Like your example, say that perhaps the crown prince of a kingdom was sent to a neighboring country to learn about the culture, or that a high-ranking noble is there as head of the kingdom's embassy. But if someone is linking all their character's potential plots and history and all to someplace that isn't the main focus of your site, I would ask them to change it, because... they're not gonna have anything to do if your site is set in New York City and this person comes in with a character living in Las Vegas. 

So I'd say it's a case by case basis. If the person can ground their character in your main setting, then their strong ties to other places don't matter. But it's not going to do anyone any good if they make a character that can't interact with any of the plots or characters. And as Jones said, tell them that if they ever wanted to have that kingdom as an active place to play, they would be responsible for driving action into the area. 

• Love 3

I’d give it to them. They’re making a new part of the world so I don’t have to. Adds more variety, makes the experience richer for everyone, and lets people get invested. Delegate so they’re in charge of it. Not often that people get these opportunities to be so involved. I’d want them to have that opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

Like the others said, if you do allow it, and the member does make the focus on your city not trying to focus threads and plots in their own city it shouldn't be an issue. I would check the member's intentions, if they're here to learn and explore culture it's one thing, if they're in your city to try taking it over and bringing their army with them...it will greatly change your site dynamic. So it's fine to ask them to run any major plot ideas through you if they are likely to impact the site. I know as a member i'd hate it if someone just strolled in and started making plots that impact my character and change the site dynamics. 

• Agree 2

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Lady Croft said:

Like the others said, if you do allow it, and the member does make the focus on your city not trying to focus threads and plots in their own city it shouldn't be an issue. I would check the member's intentions, if they're here to learn and explore culture it's one thing, if they're in your city to try taking it over and bringing their army with them...it will greatly change your site dynamic. So it's fine to ask them to run any major plot ideas through you if they are likely to impact the site. I know as a member i'd hate it if someone just strolled in and started making plots that impact my character and change the site dynamics. 

Yep, I am afraid of that happening. It happens a lot with undead in fantasy settings. Maybe that's just my experience, but it always seems to go the same way. Create a lich, want to destroy the world with undead army, without considering how that would ruin the entire setting.

The setting would have canon positions, and those would mostly be based within the context of the city (faction leaders in that city and what not). So I can mitigate the potential for problems in that way, encouraging people to base their character there right off the bat. Also as you said, running the bigger ideas by staff.

I also like the ideas others said about letting members flesh out other parts of the world. I didn't consider that before now. I am a little picky about maintaining the 'atmosphere' of a setting, so maybe a few vague guidelines about the state of the rest of the world will alleviate my concerns there, and allow healthy contributions from those who are keen for that sort of thing.

Thank you everyone for the insight.

Edited by Honorem

On 3/10/2020 at 5:18 AM, Honorem said:

I am a little picky about maintaining the 'atmosphere' of a setting, so maybe a few vague guidelines about the state of the rest of the world will alleviate my concerns there, and allow healthy contributions from those who are keen for that sort of thing.

That is absolutely fair, and we've had great success with the same method as I mentioned above. In fact I'm really only here to say that it can be a great method. We have an overall world culture, and let individual territories work on making that culture their own in their own smaller settings. It's a lot of fun seeing what your members come up with! Best of luck to you. 😄

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png