Does music help or hinder your RPing experience?

Minx

It really depends, but usually I find that I need at least a little muse to begin with or else music will just distract me from posting and send me on a 2-hour listening marathon. But if the muse/insp is already there, then it usually helps amplify it, if that makes sense. I'll have an idea and certain songs will give me more inspiration to build off of for that idea. Haven't tried making character playlists yet, but I've been meaning to try that out 👀

Been roleplaying for about 8-9 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my GOD am I a big playlist person! I have playlists for each one of my characters, and one of my favorite things to do with friends is make couple playlists for our characters together. Actually, my good friend/co-admin and I get so into it we have "best of" lists too that try and whittle down the massive writing lists (which can sprawl to hundreds of songs) to a petite 15-16 tracks/1 hour(ish). It really helps me get in the right frame of mind, and also to block out other distractions. I generally can't concentrate if it's too quiet, and I need the Right Kind of Sound most of the time.

It's also just a really fun part of like, interacting with my characters for me? I love talking to other people about their playlists, too--what they chose and why, etc. I actually really miss 8tracks, because Spotify doesn't let you do annotations... I want to ramble/pick out the really relevant lyrics! (I know it's "back" now, but phew...) I find it really fun and satisfying outside of needing writing wallpaper. 

OrielBannerBigger.png.a2ce06c92c5f48951844c258d418d92a.png

A Gilded Age 18+ Original Fantasy RPG

Site | Lore | RulesGetting Started | Discord

It depends on the music. If it's music that I start belting out lyrics to, I have to change it or I will sit in my chair, mid-reply, doing a very poor solo concert and not getting anything done. If it's music that feeds my muse, I tend to get things done very quickly.

I love utilizing music to get into the mood of a particular character or scene and I will often make playlists for my various brain children. However, I can't manage to write if I'm listening to anything with lyrics, so I'll turn on my instrumental playlist if I'm sitting down to make a post. 

Most of the time I don't play music when I write. Although, I do find that if I'm struggling or it is a more emotional scene instrumental music of varying kinds can help boost the muse for me. I have a hard time with lyric music as I find it draws me from the post from time to time so I tend to avoid that kind.

AFF1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I often play music in the background, though I'm not really listening to it. If anything, it's to help set the mood of an individual response. If that makes sense. 

❤️

• 5 months later...

I used to be able to listen to music and write. It actually helped. Now that I am older, it's the opposite. I cannot have music playing, or my mind is too distracted. I tend to listen to songs in-between writing if I need inspiration.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:31 PM, RedSky said:

I used to be able to listen to music and write. It actually helped. Now that I am older, it's the opposite. I cannot have music playing, or my mind is too distracted. I tend to listen to songs in-between writing if I need inspiration.

I chuckled when I saw this because when I was -younger- music was very distracting to me when I was into a roleplay, specifically where my partner or partners and I were "fighting" or "sparring". Now that I am older, I find that it actually depends on the genre I am roleplaying. If I am with a partner who takes their time responding to my post, I jam, but if my partner is a fast typist, I put the ear-buds away and focus on the game.

• 4 weeks later...

My writing is drastically improved with music. I create ~30 song long playlists on my Spotify for each character I write. Listening to the playlists while I write really helps get me in the character's headspace!

• 3 months later...

Music helps me write forsure, gets me in the right mood.

Hello!

I prefer to listen to music when writing for a certain character; So long as it doesn't clash, It helps with the mood and keeps me from just hearing my fingers tap frantically on the keyboard when I type. 

• 1 month later...

I don't listen to music when writing, but I do listen to a lot of music that kinda fit the tone of the thread when I'm sort of... daydreaming about things to come and planning. It does help a lot, especially when writing opens.

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to music for everything so it's going to happen for writing. I have playlists for each game (video games included), character, and relationship (platonic, romantic, antagonistic, etc.).

spacer.png
V A G A B O N D C O D E
Guidebook • Canons • Site Canons • Discord
AU STAR WARS RPG • 21+ • Jcink Premium • 2+ years

On 8/19/2021 at 7:12 AM, caporushes said:

Oh my GOD am I a big playlist person! I have playlists for each one of my characters

THIS. 

A playlist for every character is a must. It sets the tone for them, it sets the tone for me. My writing style changes depending on the character and music helps that along a great deal. 

Occasionally I can manage to write without it but not if I'm actively thinking about the fact I have no music playing. If I realise there's no music playing? Game over.

Head set goes flat? Game over. Trance broken. KO'd. 

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png

• 2 weeks later...

It helps getting in the mood, but then when I write I have to turn it off otherwise it becomes a distraction.