Does music help or hinder your RPing experience?

Minx

Music is life! I use it very strategically. If my character is a badass I play some ACDC, if my character is soft and smol I'll put on alternative. Helps me get in the right mindset.

BFDTRIAL.png.529db59dba91cf02803411f1d464de5d.png

I usually prefer having some movie or show on in the background, but occasionally I'll listen to music as well. I'm pretty guilty of listening to sad songs when I'm writing a sad post but otherwise it's pretty up in the air. 

95% of the time I prefer silence since I end up focusing on whatever is playing instead of writing, but very occasionally the right song will help me get in the right mood for a particular character/thread/post.

spacer.png

Come and join us in Ancient Rome!

I write in silence, but I often get ideas for stuff  that I write while listening to music

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

This varies a lot for me. Some of the people in my current roleplay community have gotten me into the idea of character playlists! Which is basically just a bunch of songs that make you think about your character or put you in the mood to write them. These help me out a lot sometimes - other times, it's just a little too much for my brain, and I need silence and to be left alone to get the words just right.

• Agree 3

https://passingstrange.net/images/misc/passingstrangebanner.png

• Admin

I can’t write with distractions, this includes music. Mind you I love listening to music to inspire me and to get me in the mood to write but when I get to writing music rattles in my brain and I need to hear my internal monologue.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I can often write with even a tv show in the background as a noise (anything but tinnitus), though I find I can focus better if I have some instrumental soundtracks, like DnD ambiance tracks, chill beats, or videogame soundtracks. Things that doesn't risk distracting me with lyrics and such but still sets a mood of wonder and imagination.

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

Music is a total must for me. Even if it's just the fave radio station playing in the background. It will usually set a tone for me. It sometimes turns into my characters even have their own playlists that I whip out to get in their mindset. We even added a channel in the Discord to share music tastes of everyone. If I try to stream something in the background (show/movie) I usually end up distracted and watching that instead of posting. So that is usually saved for meals or when I'm not posting or Adminning. The music usually changes though with the mood of the posts and who I'm writing for. It usually all works out in the end.

spacer.pngDecadence

I love listening to music while I write! But it has to be lyric-less. I typically listen to classical or soundtracks. I have a lot of music from Game of Thrones (because by god it's so good), Lord of the Rings, and several other shows and movies that just work really well. There are a few songs that I can listen to that do have lyrics, but it is rare that I can actually get anything done. Those are better for when I'm doing prep work and content updates. 

Oooof, I cannot write with music playing usually. XD I start daydreaming very easily, so it tends to distract me and get me thinking about a different story, character, or scenario entirely, which isn't exactly helpful!

Hello! New member extraordinare!

I think it depends heavily on my mood! If I'm in the right mood, and good song can really do wonders! However, there are definitely other times when I find music distracting

I've had very little success with music "inspiring" me while I write.  Most of the time, it just distracts me while I'm writing OR I end up accidentally typing the lyrics of the song into my posts. 😂

I think that music can help and I have a playlist, but it's all instrumental because I typically find lyrics distracting. 🙂

I can't have any distractions. Music, Netflix, anything. I'm the same when I'm studying, I need to devote my whole attention to it. Having said that music lyrics can certainly inspire me with ideas for writing.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

Most of the time, I can't have any distractions whatsoever when writing. Even instrumental music can completely derail me from the plot/post at hand. I do write better with some form of 'white noise' in the background. I actually write best at my desk at work - the hustle and bustle of my office is easy to tune out enough to write, but not as deafening as absolute silence. 

spacer.png

Celebrating 3 wonderful years!