Does music help or hinder your RPing experience?

Minx

I 100% cannot write in silence. I need some sort of sound to focus, or else I start opening other tabs and get lost in Facebook or Twitter. Sometimes I'll put on an old livestream VOD or find a playlist for a longer let's play series, but its more often than not music. As for genre, its usually metal/whatever band I'm really into at the time, but I have a few characters who come out far easier with specific music. Its not always tied to the 'vibe' of the character, either. Like, I have one character that fancies himself quite the badass, but 'his' music is along the lines of Lana Del Rey and Joji. No, I don't know why either...

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

I absolutely love creating playlists for my characters, and music really helps me slip into their mindset or visualise how my reply will unfold before I write it. But when it comes down to the writing process? 9/10 music is too distracting for me to be able to write to, especially if it has lyrics. If I do have music on in the background when I'm writing, it's to drown out any other sounds in the environment, and then it will be something really ambient and mindless.

I have to have music to write. I even bought noise-canceling headphones to help me tune out the bf and the dogs. 

Film scores work best for me, and the tone of the piece definitely influences the tone of my post. The Legends of the Fall soundtrack is one of my personal favorites. As much as I love John Williams' music, a lot of his scores are too iconic - I picture the film instead of being able to tune the music out enough to write XD

test2.png

Guidebook | Want Ads | Canon List

RPG-D Member's Choice Winner

Harry Potter 2020

I have to write in quiet (relative quiet, normal household noises are easy to tune out), or with instrumentals. Music with lyrics is very distracting to me and makes it difficult to focus. There are very rare exceptions to that. I love music, and would LOVE being able to write to music, but my brain just latches onto the lyrics too much, even if the lyrics are in a foreign language!

Now, if I've listened to a song a sickening amount, I can use it as background noise to write to, sometimes. But I still prefer instrumentals because it provides ambience and mood, and my brain doesn't get distracted by any voices.

• Agree 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

Typically, I need silence to concentrate on what I am posting, but if I do listen to music it can't have lyrics or I'll start singing along with them in my head. I am usually inspired by music or find music that fits my character when I am driving around in my car and playing music.

I cant write without music! And I do the same; playlists of songs that match my characters or at least their moods.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Music has tendency to help my writing and actually I feel like I write betters in general when I listen to music. I think it helps the most when I'm writing fighting scenes, it's like it helps me see what's happening in the fight. It can do that with other scenes too, but it's the best with fighting scenes.

dreamcityrpgsig.png

Music serves as inspiration before I write.  I listen only to what pertains to my characters, situations, etc.  It's usually historical pieces and film scores that get me going.  Typing sometimes requires silence, though, as multitasking is harder for me than it used to be.

Edited by Jacob

Listening to music like putting on a playlist helps me connect with a muse, especially if I found a new song that relates to a particular character. Generally any noise whether it's from outside or the tv in the background is preferable, it's the absence of noise that is unsettling. Hearing every day life adds flavour to my writing because I can better visualize a muse in their natural habitat.   

Music helps me with my roleplaying. I do better with it.

I find that it often depends on the day for me.

Some days I focus better with music whereas other days I focus better with silence.

The trouble I have with music tends to be that I switch songs a lot, so I end up doing that more than actually typing out a post.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

Music helps me focus for sure, especially if I've found songs that pertain to what I'm currently writing. I have playlists for all of my characters that I have song associated with, though a character doesn't get a playlist until I have at least a couple songs that remind me of them. Those definitely help the most.

Though unless I'm using something like listenonrepeat, I cannot use Youtube for something like that, cause I'll get distracted when switching to a new song or something if it's not on a playlist already.

Edited by pika247

• 2 weeks later...

With me it depends on what I'm trying to write and what kind of mood i'm in. If I'm just kind of blah, I enjoy having certain music playing to help bolster the mood I'm going for. I have spotify and I use the heck out of it, but sometimes its hard to find the right muse song. I do have different 'mood' playlists, too, that can help with like angry or sad posting. 

• 2 weeks later...

For me personally I like hopping into conversations with people and listening to music while I write my posts. HOWEVER I also get easily distracted which delays my post time lol. It is kind of a catch 22 situation most of the time. I should probably listen to more music while I write so that I can have that inspiration but less of the distraction. 

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

I usually have a pre set music list for each character depending on the situation. I like to have music in the background when I write . It is something that often relaxes me from work and helps me create the story I am or have been thinking of.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png