Does music help or hinder your RPing experience?

Minx

I've just found a spotify playlist called Dark Viking Music, which I overlay with rainymood, and it makes an awesome atmospheric background soundtrack for our current boardwide plot, I'm stoked about it!

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png

Music is essential to my play. If I'm playing a cowgirl, I need me some indie country. If I have a badass vampire, the badass spotify playlist is on. It really helps me get into the mood and mindset I need for my vastly different characters. 

BFDTRIAL.png.529db59dba91cf02803411f1d464de5d.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that I am super distracted by music with words in it whilst I'm actually writing, I like to have either lo-fi hip hop on or movie soundtracks, but conversely, when I am getting into the mindset for a specific character they have their on playlists on my Spotify to get my brain in the right headspace for them!

I need music playing to be able to focus, it drowns out the background noise in my head.  I just need to change up my character playlists every few months or I'll start skipping every other song. Lately I've been listening to a lot of hyperpop when writing, boosts my energy, often the lyrics are less distracting for me than slower songs, and it does really well to drown out chaos brain. 

Not only do I require music to write (I will just stare at the screen if there's silence), but I have playlists for every single one of my characters.  Some of my characters with more developed plotlines even have past!/present!/future! playlists if I'm jumping timelines. XD

I'm not even past using lyrics and/or a music video as a plot device.

spacer.png

ELPIDA — non-canon/oc wizarding world | centralized school | 18+ | jcink premium ]

I used to write to character-specific music all the time. Not so much lately anymore.

I think my posts were better when I did that 🤔 or maybe I was just more steeped into them so they felt better. I dunno.

I have playlists cultivated specifically to fit character vibes, but its often that I just listen to them to get into that mood before actually writing. Sometimes background noise is just too much for my brain, and sometimes I absolutely need it to write. 

I pretty much always pause music as soon as I start writing a post up. If it’s something short and sweet it’s fine, but if it’s the usual post or lengthier I won’t be able to get past the first paragraph. 😅 I’m real jealous of folks who can write with it.

For me it's really subjective. Sometimes it helps, especially if I have the perfect piece of music to get into a muse or a moment, but for the most part I don't really need it either. But it also doesn't really hinder me--I can usually block it out pretty good if I need to. The only time it's a problem is if it's a song I'm really into and I find myself listening to it more than writing.

adorable lion GIF

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes music can help to inspire posts, but most of the time it is going to have to be music without lyrics or I get too distracted.

Most of the time I rely heavily on music to get me into the mood to play my very varied array of characters. It helps me post under multiple different characters in the same block of time I have to get on & directs my muse very well. I definitely see a decline in post quality when I have silence or I am rushing.

• 2 weeks later...

But of course. Music sets the mood. It is why you find music in video games and movies. The right song playing enhances the mood even better.

I tend to use a lot of video game soundtracks and remixes, and have playlists set up for different moods and situations. I use them when writing and when running my tabletop game. 

lofnsliplogo.png.7a58409350c0c952ed23ab6d914f3781.png

• 4 months later...

I resonate with the people here who have said they listen to lyricless music because lyrics make me distracted.

I always thought I was the weird one for not being able to listen to music while I write. xD It's nice to know I'm not haha. For me, it distracts me. Even sometimes songs with no words. If I really like the song (which is often true in my playlist lol), I'll start dancing to the song or humming, and get distracted away from my writing. 

I can and do sometimes listen to instrumental / electronic for some background noise or to drown out some other distraction, but sometimes even that's too much.

Because I prefer silence, I never quite understood the concept for character playlists lol. You lucky people ❤️

I havent used music in a while, but I do hum songs as I write? Not been able to really listen to stuff for rl reasons of needing to hear things and keep getting up and disturbing myself

spacer.png

I find any kind of background nose helps me. But music is fun, it can match my muse  and help it along~

spacer.png