Does music help or hinder your RPing experience?

Minx

I find that I write better when I have music playing. I have a specific RP playlist on Spotify that I usually play while I'm in the RPing mood. It includes songs that I feel match my character's personalities or sometimes the emotional things they are going through. I guess it's just the music that speaks to my muses. I also find that more often than not I include specific song lyrics into a lot of their signatures as well. I have also found that if I'm in a voice chat with friends (one in particular) I have a much harder time concentrating on writing at all. 

What about ya'll? Do you need music or complete silence? Can you write with distractions?

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

Oddly, I prefer silence. I think this stems from habit more than anything, and a distinct lack of appreciation for music. At some point, I just stopped listening to it. I honestly think it's because I'm having a difficult time finding music that speaks to me again. I suppose I could do some stations on Pandora for the bands that used to do that for me, and see where they may or may not be now.

• LOL 1

I listen to lyric-less music, usually a brand new playlist -- why? Because if I know the song/like it, I'll often start daydreaming scenes to it. City pop is my usual go-to!

• Agree 1

spacer.png

Helps! I will put a song on repeat if it speaks to the scene. For me it enhances my ability to write the character or that specific scene. 

• Thank you 1

Reality is an illusion. 

On the rare occassion that I have music on while writing, I have something on that helps me focus. e.g certain types of celtic music / gaming soundtracks. ANything with words during writing is too distracting because i start to focus on what they're singing, and usually this means I'll get annoyed (because most music lyrics do not make much sense). But this is another discussion 😂

It really depends for me but like 80% of the time i prefer to work without sounds

• Agree 1

Depends on my mood and which RPG that I'm posting for. Sometimes playing a certain type of music will stimulate stubborn muses. 😄 

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I often have some music playlist or some tv stuff in the background. I find silence distracting and music or background tv docs or movies just help. So long as it's not something I really want to see-so something i don't mind missing bits of or something i've seen before. 

Music wise, i usually have a playlist styled to the genre i'm writing for. So my supernatural playlist differs from my sci-fi playlist which is different to my real life playlist. I pick what fits the mood and reminds me of the site theme

spacer.png

Sometimes it helps. Sometimes I need the quiet, but during the times I'm keen on music? I might actually get a lot more done.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I love, love, love having music on while posting, but I can just as easily write with silence. Distractions I can typically write pretty well with, though I find things like TV/YouTube videos very hard to write through.

I believe that music is my best motivator. I have a good 20+ playlists on my Youtube account, one for each of my characters. Each have their own specific songs that I picked for them and that allow me to get inside their heads and role-play them as perfectly as I can. This music also allows me to stay focused for longer periods of time and therefore allow me to make better structured, longer, and more entertaining posts than I would normally be able to write up.

So yes, music is certainly a boon when it comes to my role-play.

I love music when I write. I forget to put it on a lot of times, but when I do, it always helps. There's something about typing in time to the music that really helps me find a rhythm and keep that momentum going. Sometimes I listen to specific songs or playlists, but usually it's the music itself that keeps me pushing forward.

Back when I was in school and used music for studying, lyrics would distract me while I was reading and I would listen to tv show soundtracks instead.

trWJFyW.jpg.ad3989be07828341d22b3ef27aef8cb5.jpg

I have character playlists that I'll listen to if I need a little help "getting into character", but when it comes to actually writing I have found that I need it as quite and distraction free as possible or I won't get anything done.

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

Music definitely helps if it's a song I can have as background music. Lyrics or otherwise. But if the song just clashes with what I'm feeling or writing, then it's a huge hindrance!

My sites

Blur the LinesGrand Finale