Site Chat Options [Staff]

Dragon

• Operations Mod

What type of chat mechanism do you like to use on your sites? There are a fair amount of options out there these days with Cbox, Discord, Chatango etc

As a staff member, what are you looking for in your live chat platform? Do you have any programs that you prefer or just can't stand?

This is a staff geared topic. Members can share their thoughts in the Player Preference  topic! 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

If you mean which addons/addins people use... I find that often, cbox is more trouble than it's worth, as are many other add-ons or add-in applications to site. On top of the fact that many people also have discord and you risk making 2 different groups, rather than 1 united community. 

I prefer discord intergrations. Depending on the addon or addin, it's still glitchy but due to the amount of people using Discord, at least you won't divide the community as much as you do with most other addons / addins. 

If you mean chat mechanism in general, I would still go with Discord, as that seems most prevalent these days. 

• Love 1

I'm Discord only now. I used to do chatbox, but honestly, I was just giving into pressure I felt was put upon me as staff to have one because of all the bitching I saw on directories about people not liking Discord. And then I decided to stop that, so now we're Discord only. I never particularly liked having a chatbox, and preferred AIM and Skype and such like that back in the day. I've heard about a bunch of different apps and such these days, but I just stick with one, because 1) it's most popular, 2) I like it the most out of what I've tried, and 3) I don't want to go learn a new platform when the one I have works fine. 

As staff, I pretty much look for what's present in Discord - multiple categories, channels, and roles; a way to mute channels for topics I'm not interested in; role-specific channels, which can only be accessed by a certain Discord role, for example, an IC faction's plotting channel that can only be viewed by people playing in that faction, or a selfies channel that can only be viewed by accepted members; a way to block users, or put them in a 'time out' role that can't post, if necessary; private messaging as well as public, with the option for group DMs; positive identification through checking someone's profile to see if we've interacted before rather than thinking a username sounds familiar; and a message history that will be retained forever rather than dropping off the chatbox. 

• Love 2

So for a long, long time I leaned very heavily on cbox. It was simple, it was present. and it was basically The Standard. The problem with cbox is you pay to pay for sound, and you used to have to pay for autoupdating and on and on. And sure, it's not expensive but... it also isn't perfect. Ive actually found I dont like the newer version of cbox as much, it feels very strange.

These days I tend to lean towards discord. It's a bit unwieldy when its just 1-2 people, for sure. Maybe a bit overkill. But over-all it's more robust and offers many features that cbox cant. The integrations are unfortunately a little hit and miss, so there is the part where you basically have to convince people to join it, early on. But that's becoming easier and easier as people get more and more comfortable with discord as a program. i like discord as a staff member because it's great to be able to check on chat when im on the go without having to fuss with it. cbox on mobile was always a bit of a pain. 

Jaxx hit on a lot of my favorite features - being able to set up roles and restrict access to channels if necessary. Some of the sites im on use it to give colors to members to make it more visually exciting too. With the bonus of being able to add bots to the server - things like Tatsumaki which allow for quick coin flips for decisions among other fun asides. 

• Love 1

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

Discord!

As the Admin/Owner of 3 sites, I wanted something that was robust, easy to manage, and encouraged my members to build OOC interactions. My sites all have Discord integrations that feed posts to specific channels in our discords. This really negates the need for email or turning on email notifications. Makes me so happy since one of my real life goals is to gradually eliminate all but personal emails. Also, while it means having to add a few more channels to our discords, if my members are using them, I don't need as many OOC forums which is a win-win.

I do not bother with on-site chats of any kind (Discord or otherwise). There's a guest friendly forum if people do not want to join our servers. Even if they do, they can always leave if we're not to their taste! No harm, no foul!

Edited by StormWolfe

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I just use the simple portal shoutbox for my site. I got tired of being kicked out of cbox all the time. And I don’t care for discord or other offsite chats. 

Reality is an illusion. 

We have both a cbox and a Discord. I've considered just getting the Discord embedded into the site but I've had terrible luck finding a way to do it that I don't dislike. Personally, I prefer cbox since it's visible to guests but the overwhelming majority of the site base prefers the Discord and it 100% shows in the cbox post dates. One of these days I'll likely get fed-up and either go back to working on embedding the Discord so the community activity is more visible, but it hasn't happened yet!

Equitate RP

Real Life Equestrian / No WC / No ACs / Jcink Premium (18+)

• 4 weeks later...

We use cbox for the simple reason that most of our staff team don't actually have Discord and don't want to get it just for one thing (the board). Members are welcome to use PM or whatever they like for private conversations (I personally favour Skype), but the "instant communication" part of our community is nicely cozied up in cbox, and we've never had any issues with it!

IKiE2z.png

I prefer to use Discord because of the app, it allows me to keep up with the chat and members without having to go to my RP site for messages. Plus with channels, slow-down mode, roles, mentioning, attachments, and DMs it definitely adds that extra layer of inclusivity and interactivity to an RP.

We have a discord server, but we don't use the widget on the site because it never seems to work properly and fortunately, no one has missed having a chat option on the site itself haha

We have a discord server. Like it has been said before, I was really hooked on cbox for a while. I don't remember when we made the transition, but it's been a great way for everyone to connect and chat. And since it has an app, I can hope on my phone and talk to people easily. 

One of the things I noticed back in ye olden days, was even if a site had a cbox, people were branching off and chatting through AIM or skype or even way back, MSN chat. I feel like discord helps keep it in one space. Obviously people still talk one on one and we have other servers for specific things like subplots and members who are apart of the press, but this is solely so we don't flood the main discord with our conversations. 

If anyone is looking for a discord widget, WidgetBot recently updated everything and I haven't had it glitch out in a while. Their support team is on top of fixing bugs as well. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 5:58 PM, SithLordOfSnark said:

I really only use Discord - I have a free C-Box on my sites because Titan quite often goes down, so we wanted a chat on site for those instances and we don't use Titan anymore because of how unstable it is.

Same here! My newest site has a free cBox that's primarily for guests, but we also have a Discord server that serves as our main chat -- I gave up on Titan because it was down and unusable so very often.

user posted image  

I could never properly wrap my head around cbox. Plus, it always seemed to slow down my browser if I had a page with one open somewhere.

These days, I'm all about Discord for the roles, bots, channels, and so on. I used to use massive Kik group chats (everyone on the old site I used to haunt did), and its so much nicer to just throw up a link somewhere than the whole "add me on Kik so I can put you in this group chat" nonsense. Being able to get Discord on basically anything capable of connecting to the internet is a nice bonus too.

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

We are strictly discord, with a discord integration.  One thing I never liked about cbox is that, since I work, I would often miss messages from newcomers inquiring about the site.  With discord, all my forums are on the same platform and I can keep up with anyone new who comes on board so it doesn't look as if no one is paying attention.  

• Preach it! 1

yi1tXyG.jpg

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Eleutherian said:

We are strictly discord, with a discord integration.  One thing I never liked about cbox is that, since I work, I would often miss messages from newcomers inquiring about the site.  With discord, all my forums are on the same platform and I can keep up with anyone new who comes on board so it doesn't look as if no one is paying attention.  

Agreed 100%. Personally I don't understand the use in cbox anymore unless there is no discord server (and I am personally really attatched/dependent on discord, which might be a bad thing) Personally I have always found a huge plus with Discord (and even skype when skype was the go-to for RP) was that you can stay connected to the site by your phone through the app essentially - with cbox you have to have the site constantly open somewhere, and be online almost constantly, and you don't get notifs. I haven't put a cbox on my site because it's just so common that a newcomer will leave a message and it takes 6 hours for someone to even notice!

To stop myself from getting overwhelmed with messages because discord tends to ping constantly, I have all my channels on mute except for specific moderation channels (like an ask-an-admin channel and a moderation request channel) which will send me a notif. I also have a bot that gives me a note when a newbie arrives, because I believe in making sure everyone feels welcome - can you iagine joining a site/discord and literally no one says hi? 🤣

We have widgetbot on site that guests can type into same as cbox - works the same, we still get notifications. 

TL;DR is yes, discord 100%

Super stoked admin at

DIRECTORYAD.gif