Site Chat Boxes [Members]

Dragon

• Operations Mod

What type of chat mechanism do you like to see on sites? There are a fair amount of options out there with Cbox, Discord, Chatango. 

As a prospective member, what are you looking for in a site's chat platform? Do you have any programs that you prefer or just can't stand? 

Are there any currently less-commonly used chat options you'd like to see available more frequently? 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I've tried out a lot of them over the years and I've found out what I preferred pretty quickly. I don't really like cbox, since the windows tend to be so small and I don't have the real estate or features I prefer having. Chatango is a little better.

I think today, if I was looking for a place and they only had a cbox/chatango and nothing else I wouldn't join. Communication is really important for me and I just don't like how throwaway and easily lost info is on that type of chat options and how conversations can get chaotic. I lean heavily on having a Discord available, hopefully with different channels in the server for specific purposes so the chatlogs don't get wild and I can check back on things easily. The tagging feature is a lifesaver, especially when you can call up a list of who's tagged you in a specific server.

Of course, back in my younger days I got along fine with just having a cbox and had plenty of valuable and productive conversations through it, I guess I'm spoiled now. I'm just so used to the convenience of Discord.

• Preach it! 1

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

• 1 month later...

I prefer discord. I think a cbox or other chat on the actual board can be helpful if someone has a quick question and doesn't want to commit to joining the discord yet, but the question can get lost amongst everything else going on or someone doesn't see it right away. I've heard mixed things about it. I think the widgets for discord are nice, but sometimes they have errors or don't work correctly, and that can be frustrating, especially when that is the only way to get in contact with members or to join the server.

Edited by Kao
spelling

As a prospective member I like both. Cbox or similar for quick questions but discord to get to know the community. I use discord a lot and have it on most of the day, so I'm used to it.

For my site I have cbox for the reason stated above and I do also have a discord server but it is only open to members, with the link noted in the welcome email.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

I miss cboxes and chatting right there on site.

But I also live and breathe in discord. 

88x31buttondandy.png

• 2 weeks later...

I like having a C-box for quick guest/potential member questions and such, but I want a site with an active discord for member plotting and discussion and such.

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

I basically live on Discord so that's obviously my personal preference. Its also nice to know exactly where that noise on my computer just came from because basically any alert sound except the Discord noise startles the crap out of me, and as far as I'm aware, cbox doesn't have a visual popup option like Discord or even RPG-I does with the browser alerts. I'm also a lot less likely to participate in the convo if there's not something drawing my attention to new messages, so there's that too.

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

I like the chatbox for the sake of anonymity as well as not feeling pressured to hop on the discord just to awkwardly slide out when you realise it's not the site for you.....though I don't mind joining discord once I've applied and gotten settled.

Any chat is fine, I have no preference and do like I have the option to pop into discord and say hi.

But, the thing I liked the most, and I can't remember what site it was, they had a widget that allowed you to look at general chat of discord without even joining their server. Me likey this. When I am less busy I wouldn't mind tracking that down.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

@Flahme sounds like either Titan or WidgetBot to me, actually. There's a few bots for that out there.

• Cheers 1

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

I like just having discord! Though I've been finding that a lot of people ask questions and then leave the discord completely before I can answer, something I find really weird. 

I don't personally understand the hesitance of some people to join discord channels, no one cares if you leave right away after joining. I do understand how the welcome message can be annoying if it's in the general channel because then everyone knows you've joined and starts talking to you, when you might just want to mooch around and judge the community first, so I hide those welcome alerts in the staff channel.

I tried to have a cbox up for a while in case guests wanted to ask questions there instead but it was never used and looked really dead so I just took it down again.

Also @Flahme, that sounds like Widgetbot! I used to use it but since it constantly refreshes to keep the discord up to date, you can't use the back/forward buttons on your browser. I couldn't find a way to fix that. 😞

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Discord as I have found that it allows for members to plot things out and communicate effectually with one another. I used to go for chat box  but since Discord became more popular for me in the gaming world, I find it a really useful tool for RPGs as well and prefer sites that have it.

Edited by Toastie

I don't mind having chatboxes on forums. It's a nice way to have a quick conversation and get to know other members. Though, now with Discord, that's a bit of a game changer. If you can get it integrated directly onto your site, it makes it easier--at least for those who actually have a Discord account.

dreamcityrpgsig.png

I used cbox for most of mine but now that discord is a thing, I prefer it over anything given all the different features it has.

I don't mind chatboxes on sites but I prefer discord; I look for activity in chatboxes when browsing sites. If an inactive chatbox is there, I'm going to be less keen on joining, tbh.

Edited by kaylyn