Why were you banned?

Grimscythe

I'm honestly just curious. For those of you that have been banned from sites, if you're willing to share, what was the reason? Did it make sense? Was it out of the blue? Was it over something stupid?

I've only been banned once in all my time RPing. 

And it was because I was part of a site that was NOT a good fit for me. 

Here is story time:

I didn't like the admins at all, they were always on anon but constantly hawk-eyeing everything my friend and I wrote. It was so freaking uncomfortable. And while I did read their rules (multiple times) and saw that mature themes were allowed and they were 3-3-3, sex scenes had a weirdly worded rule (like it said to keep it tasteful but also said ftb but also to mark if it was mature, and there were sexual themes in other threads--I obsessively sought out M rated threads to make sure ours was in line with theirs, in terms of how detailed we were getting.) But I got accused of not reading their rules. Eh.

Even before we got to the sexy times point though, the admin kept hounding both of us over things our characters were doing. In one thread, our characters were having a cat fight and my friend's character grabbed my character's crotch because he didn't believe my character was male when he insisted that he was. My character was rightfully outraged and he kicked her character in the crotch in retaliation. We got nicely worded pms each, saying we had to mark the thread with a trigger warning for sexual assault. Okay, whatever. I'm not that tender on my sites but we went along with it because you know, trying not to be assholes. 

But things like that kept happening, and it's like, I understand that they want a safe space for their players but the two of us... are not that way and we were quickly realizing that we were NOT a good fit for this site (and I have since learned not to join any sites that boast being safe spaces.)

ANYWAY, so basically, my BFF and I were writing some pairings and one of the pairs got into sexy territory. The final straw was when staff said they were going to delete an ENTIRE THREAD we had going because they didn't like where it was going. (Fair enough, it was getting hardcore.) But in the moment, I lost my temper because I was so sick and tired of being constantly policed for every. Single. Post. I made. Like listen, I'm a grown ass adult, okay? I don't need to be hand held constantly about every post I make, because I like mature themes. So I deleted all my character apps and yoinked all our threads and I told the admin, yo, I tried to hang with you guys but I can't fucking do this shit anymore, see ya. Annnnd I was then banned, and so was my BFF, who didn't even delete her apps like I did, and didn't lose her temper (at them, but we were most certainly complaining to one another!) 

So let this be a lesson to all, as it was a lesson for me. Don't just "settle" for a site. Like, we wanted a pokemon site with fantasy elements and it was the only one we could find at the time so we "settled" but it was NOT the site for us, nor the staff for us. We eventually took what we did there onto our own site and continued there for as long as we were still interested. It was meant to be a break from our own site, to have fun and just be members but it was more like hell--for us. 

And listen, I know I was an asshole at the end there. I'm banned, so I can't apologize. But what it was, was a difference in what RP is to people and what kinds of things we want to RP and what we want to allow on our sites. Different strokes for different folks. 

It's the only time I've been banned though and I understand why. So that's my story. At the very least, it was a learning experience, if a frustrating one. 

• Agree 1
  • Cringe 1

Reality is an illusion. 

Playing heterosexual content with someone the group didn't like.

I was told to my face that I was fine and they wanted me to stay, but they didn't want my partner to stick around b/c she didn't RP with anyone else.... when no one else approached her lmao...

I don't believe in heterophobia mind u, but this was a clear-cut case of misogyny if I have ever seen one.

Edited by Lunaala

This is a long story so TL;DR - I was on three sites that were mostly inhabited by the same group of friends. The same person bullied me off all three. Drama ensued and I ended up being banned from two of them after I'd already left. On one site, this was because I told members that the admin knew about the member bullying me and had decided to do nothing, which I backed up with screenshots. On the other site, I was banned after posting in their Discord's staff channel that I wanted my apps deleted because [admin's name] was a bully who told me I wasn't allowed to reuse my own characters and had reported me as a thief for doing so. Maybe not the most mature approach, but 100% truth all around. 

To my knowledge, these are the only two times I was banned, but both times involved the same people, so I kinda just count it as one. I was on three sites with the same core group of people. So what happened on one site OOC invariably affected the other two, because it was mostly the same people there. Each of the sites had different admins, but everyone was friends with everyone. I was the newcomer to everything, but at the time that all the drama went down, I'd been a part of the group for two years. I was on Site 1 for about a year before joining sites 2 and 3 around the same time. 

I developed a strong dislike for one of the members on Site 1. She was... pretty much everything you hear complained about. Metagamed, godmodded, complained when her writing partners posted to other people yet never posted herself, and on and on and on. She got away with it all because she was, somehow, the admins' pet on all three sites. I eventually simply told her that I didn't think we were compatible as writing partners but wished her the best. This was on Site 1. Eventually I agreed to give her a second chance as a writing partner on Site 2 and took a wanted for her. This went well for about six months before I started getting the feeling that she was targeting me OOC. I tried ignoring this but eventually told Site 2's admin. 

The admin told me that the member in question had decided that she didn't like how I was playing her wanted ad, and therefore wanted to bully me off the site. I was floored, as one might expect. I'd been roleplaying for about five or six years at the time and had never heard of someone deciding to bully someone off a site over something that had never been addressed in any way, or of the admin knowing about it and doing nothing. I asked the admin what she was going to do about this member. The admin said that since she and the member were good friends in real life, she wasn't comfortable doing anything to discipline them. 

Bitch what? 

I posted in the main channel of the Discord stating that I was leaving and then left the server. Hearing that the admin knew a member was bullying other members, and chose not to do anything about it because they were friends, just had me beyond belief. Thing was, I'd been on this site a year. I had over sixty characters, and about half of them were want ads and site canons and faction leaders. I was friendly with all the other members, helped them fit in, and reached out to all the newbies for threads. It sounds egotistical af to say it, but frankly, I was the site's darling and the most active person there. It was less than five minutes before I had people swarming my DMs wanting to know what had happened that I was leaving so abruptly.

At first I simply said I'd disagreed with the admin. Then I decided screw it, and told each and every one of them, with screenshots of my conversation of the admin to back it up. The site was dead inside three months. I'm usually not someone who tattletales, but honestly, I have no regrets about ratting out what this admin had done. She made a decision and she dealt with the consequences. And it wasn't a safe place for any of them if a bully was in charge of the site. 

With what happened on Site 2, I wasn't very keen to stay on the others. The bully in question was on both, and I knew she wasn't going to stop at getting me off one site. A few weeks after I left Site 2, she outright attacked me in the site server of site 1, insulting me, calling me names, and mocking my writing. I got tired after about an hour of this, told her to stop talking to me, and called her an immature bitch for throwing a temper tantrum in the main channel. The admin raged in and told me not to attack other members but didn't say a word against the bullying member. Nope. I left and so did several other members, including one who had tried breaking things up and had then gotten attacked himself (and subsequently chastised by the admin iirc). 

This left Site 3. I posted a leave of absence while I tried to figure out what to do here. I knew I didn't want to stay on a site where the bully and Site 2's admin were both members. I'm a smart person and the writing on the wall was in mile-high letters. Eventually I left a polite message that I was leaving but didn't state why. When people asked, I simply said that I'd had severe disagreements with two of the other members and didn't feel the site was a fit for me any more with the bad blood that had been created. Everyone who had been on this site, that I met afterwards, told me that the same member had made them so uncomfortable that they left. Three guesses as to who that member was. 

The break with Site 3 was amiable at first. Then one of the admins there... went insane, I guess. I'd reused an old character of mine to take her wanted ad. After leaving Site 3, I reused him on multiple other places and in a variety of genres. I'd changed a few things about him to fit him into the want ad and I decided to keep the broad details of a couple of them, while discarding most to return to the original version. Not the change in question, but to give context with something comparable: My character had never known his mother in his original iteration, but for the wanted ad, became close to her. When reusing, I made them confidants for a wholly different reason. I also kept the wanted's listed first name (changing his middle and last) and face claim, which were the only two things I directly reused. 

Admin flipped her shit on me claiming that I'd stolen the character from her. She even went as far as to report me to directory staff with "proof" that I'd ripped her character from her. Her proof was an app with all of my OOC information on it, so I don't know what she expected that to do, since all she proved was that I'd written the character. She was dismissed by directory staff but that wasn't good enough for her and she kept attacking me until I blocked her. I then went to Site 3's Discord and said in their staff channel that I wanted my apps deleted because [admin name] had been attacking me for reusing my own characters and trying to label me a thief. I got banned instead, and a friend who checked the site showed me a screenshot that the apps were still there. I messaged the other admin repeating my request, and the apps were moved to an admins-eyes-only forum rather than being deleted. I reported them to Jcink but never heard anything back. 

I was pretty mad at the time, but since then, honestly I just find it equal parts hilarious and pathetic. And it makes a great story for threads like this one! 

• Cringe 2

I don't know if that counts as a ban, but since I was kicked out of the site either way, I guess it does.

Setting: RL site, rules seemed pretty chill, not a lot of characters, but that didn't bother me. Created first character, struggled a little finding plots for her, but fine. Whatever, it happens. Once I had filled the pre requisites, created second character - white male, popular FC, a massive douchebag.

One of the staff pings me for plotting. Yay, plots! Just... not the kind of plots this character would fit. Dude was a womanizer, but didn't really care that much about his conquest. Other writer wanted him to become a doting boyfriend for her character. I explained this would mean playing him out of character. Other writer insisted this was the only way the characters could be together.

After some back and forth, I ended up declining the thread, I'm sorry, not gonna work, etc, and going to bed.

Woke up the next day, went to check the site... all of my accounts (including OOC) had been moved to inactive.

I still scratch my head over it to this day. 

• Cringe 3

Shady McShaderson

• 4 weeks later...

This was very recent, before I found the site where I could finally RP a character similar to what I wanted and engage in "epic plots"/"complex plots" without being told I was violating the rules for it. The TL;dr is that if filled me with a lack of confidence, and of stopped wanting to work hard on apps, or, like, even my plots after I got banned from a site that was "super chill" because they didn't like my "epic plotting", and because I implied the admin was weird for going around to every member one by one for days on end trying to "dig up" stuff about me, and talking about complaints that some members said they had never made.

On another site, I got accused of being a ban evader who revisited on the anniversary of my ban to, like, torment the site admins? They even dragged another site into it, used a joke about the "gay agenda" (am gay. it was on the topic) with the parts about the gay stuff cut away to tell me my agenda with that site to torment theirs was shit, and acting like I was part of some vast conspiracy to torment them. The other site eventually told them to knock it off, and they asked around and they said that site was weird.

Honestly, out of a reason of things that were unjustified bans? Those two are the top three.

The other is when I wanted to app a canon on a Marvel site who was, in the comics, a Black Queen, and an admin told me I couldn't, banned the character, banned all canon black queens, and told people not to question it or they'd get banned too all to protect their OC black queen from any possible competitors - even if the characters in question would have no interest in being a black queen.

^ The third one

another time I was banned cause a staff didn't like that I said Hawkeye's Asgardian arrows, and other such arrows, outdid their DC counterpart and they again told people to shu tup about it or they'd get banned. That was the most cringey, but it didn't make me MAD, or kill my writing ability. I was just, like, really weirded out.

I ended up staffing on a site where I very quickly realized what to look out for when I join an RP site, and how to realize something is gonna be a bad fit for me before I join, because I finally found a place without any of the bad traits I was prone to exposing myself to. I realized that on the Star Wars site where I joined, too. I'm now less prone to getting caught in bad, or abusive situations haha. Now I have a better chance of going "ah... that's not normal", and I got some panic attack pills cause of the harassment, and those helped generally in my life, too.

So, RP has been formational for me? Very much so. It's actually helped me to learn how to socialize in real life better, and is a great way to learn about stuff, too. I've learned about countries from writers born in them that I would've never learned things about otherwise, to the point where people wonder if I've actually been to Tokyo, or Pakistan due to the depth and accuracy I can describe those places, or facets of their culture. It can be beautiful, but it can also be very toxic, and I'd rather not put myself in a position where any of my buttons are pushed. I've had to learn healthy RP habits, and it took waaay too long. I sjhouldn't have started RPing as young as I did, anyway.

Edited by Bluepillar

• 3 weeks later...

I think the only time I’ve ever been banned from a site was from a Marvel board, the kind with mutant registration and such. A group of friends and I were running from a Shield agent that quickly turned into two (both admin run characters). Instead of being caught, one of my character's friends phased us through the street and into the sewer. It was perfectly in character and the thread's outcome wasn't discussed prior with anyone, so all was fair game.

Main admin threw a fit, banned all three of us for being unrealistic because we didn’t allow ourselves to get caught, and deleted every speck of evidence our characters ever existed there.

We were just sitting there like... what?

Edited by Brie

I had a trans character, and he made an off-comment to another character about bottom surgery options kinda sucking and that made him not want it right now. Suddenly an admin came at me, raging about how I, a trans person in the exact same situation, wasn't playing my character accurately and was being, like, super transphobic. The kicker was, I was pretty open about things, to the point of making jokes at my own expense about it right in front of her... and I'm not a PC person when it comes to joking about/referring to myself. Apparently it was all cool until she was reminded of the actual reality of things instead of me casually throwing around that one word that starts with a T and ends with a Y that some people don't like... Apparently she still goes off if my name, my character's name, or his FC gets brought up, as I found out earlier today when a mutual friend send me a screenshot where she'd mentioned me in passing. Hilarious to know I still occupy her brain meats though lol

• Cringe 3

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

• 2 weeks later...

I only was ever banned for real reasons during my earliest as hell years when I was a little kid.

Later years though, I was banned for hilarious reasons. My number one was when I was banned because the members liked me better than the staff and I went out of my way to help them.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was banned in one group because I took two weeks to post a bio and apparently that was too long. Whatever. Dodged a bullet there.

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly a ban because I left, but long story short, I was staff on a site where the creator and an admin got into a fight, and they split the site. I got annoyed that I'd have to restart half of my plots in a new setting, told the two of them that this was an overreaction and they just needed to calm down and talk it over later; we all said some mean things, apologized for it, I thought we were all cool. Because I argued with them, the admin who left apparently blasted me in a gc with all of her friends, and when I asked them whether I should join their site, they said the conditions were: I wasn't allowed to call anyone out (basically, disagree with them in public) and that I had to be friends with a user I didn't get along with. 

Like what?? What does that have to do with anything? Honestly it made me so angry, but I agreed at the time because I just wanted to RP you know, I didn't care. But a week later, the same admin got into a fight with another person because she wanted to move the site again, and when the other person quit, they all talked trash about her on the gc, and I guess I sort of realized they probably did the same to me when I was fighting that admin. That plus the frankly humiliating 'conditions' just made me pack up and leave, and like, I honestly didn't want anything to do with RP for over a year lol. It was worse because they were supposed to be my friends, and like, I probably would've gotten over it and been civil to the person I didn't get along with anyway, but now because of that, even seeing her name gives me this deep seated rage over everything that happened lmfao. 

• Cringe 1

spacer.png

A realm of magic and mythology. A Fantasy Fairy RPG

WORLD | CREATURES | DISCORD

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not, @Grimscythe, I was once KINDA banned from Karchan.

I had started playing at school in my free time, and some douchebag stumbled across the address, made a character, then just posted offensive stuff to people. The whole school's ip address for banned from Karchan, lol. I was so sad, but still got to play at home, so...

• LOL 1

image.png.c0ee5c69e645e4b9a58958d449be951d.png

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't even joined the site, I was just looking around and thinking of joining, but because I was living in Qatar at the time, the admins freaked out and IP banned me. Okay then...

• Cringe 2

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png

The first time I was ever banned - I was part of the admin on a Vampire Dark ages site. The owner had done something pretty heinious ( there was a writer who went ooc and caused several harrasing incidents to several of our writers ) 

Those writers who invested alot in the forum were promised this person was not allowed to return. 

I discovered not only did she secretly return ( back then geek- I saw her ISP) but that he had under the radar invited her . Narcistic ass. Anyway. I confronted him and was subsequently banned.

--------------------------------------------------------

The second time ( and third and fourth) was due to my disagreeing with one of the admins who asked my opinion. I actually never thought it was a big deal but to her it was the end of the world and thus BOOM

-------------------------------------------------------

The last time I actually nudged it.  It was a silly arguement and rather than argue I laughed....yup  banned

• Cringe 1

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

First real ban was over over-reaction on another's part. I forgive and move on. Stupidity brewed from a bad time in my life. 

Not really a ban but still pretty funny - so here I was helping someone out by staffing on their board. Ok. Great. Things seem to be going well. I'm my usual self chatting up members, helping where I can, throwing out plots and threads, and just doing what I thought was the right thing to do. Suddenly the owner comes to me and says they're closing down. Done. No turning back. They had been upset over the fact that people were coming to me instead of them for everything. O.O Wait...what?! Apparently this was the reason enough for them to close the entire thing down on everyone and leave. So basically the entire forum paid for the mistake I made of doing what I thought I should and had done numerous times before as staff. Lesson learned. (For the record that's how I built my own site and where I am today.)

spacer.pngDecadence