Have you ever been on/Adminned that one site that completely changed your philosophy about something?

Dragon

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is actually a twofer. Both sites changed my mentality on RP almost completely. For context, I used to be one of those 'if you can't consistently pump out 1.5k words per post with Shakespearean level prose, your writing is bad and you should feel bad' types of jerks, though I never vocalized that outside of a small group of friends that felt the same way. A friend who could never quite keep up with that roped me into helping her admin her site. I RPed with some other people who couldn't keep up with those walls of text I threw down, and actually had some fun plots. At the same time, I joined a site with an interesting premise, and the owner was a control freak. She would comb through new posts, and if you had anything less than precisely her 400 word minimum, you'd be chastized and could even get booted for it. Being forced to meet a minimum length made something... snap, for lack of a better word, in me.

Thanks to all of that, I've decided I don't care nearly as much about writing novels back and forth, although if I'm in the mood for it, I can get a good 1k words without breaking a sweat. I still think that the whole "a good roleplayer can progress a plot with a single word" thing is hyperbolic, but I'm nowhere near as neurotic as I used to be. Give me detail and something to work from, and I'm happy.

• Like 1

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

I used to think that it was 'just the way rp is' when every single thread went on until it eventually fizzled out. That was how threads 'ended' they just died off! Until my current site and writing partner changed my expectations completely. I've wrapped up dozens if not hundreds of threads in my 2.5 years there. Actually had whole plot arches happen. It used to seem wild. I'd sit around waiting for the other shoe to drop. I even thought "how did I get such a good writing partner?! what happens when she flakes?" but that never happened. In fact our little circle grew. Now it's my normal exception of most threads and writers.

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

• 11 months later...
  • Admin

Black Prism changed my opinion of fun. It had been a long time since I had really had fun on an RP. It always feels like such a serious hobby but the RPers there really made me remember why I enjoyed it in the first place.

• You're Welcome 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:47 PM, Jones said:

I used to think that it was 'just the way rp is' when every single thread went on until it eventually fizzled out. That was how threads 'ended' they just died off! Until my current site and writing partner changed my expectations completely. I've wrapped up dozens if not hundreds of threads in my 2.5 years there. Actually had whole plot arches happen. It used to seem wild. I'd sit around waiting for the other shoe to drop. I even thought "how did I get such a good writing partner?! what happens when she flakes?" but that never happened. In fact our little circle grew. Now it's my normal exception of most threads and writers.

Yes!! This was me as well. I met my current writing partners about 3 years ago by joining a site out of the blue and taking a want ad that connected me to a character for each other them. And yeah, sometimes it takes a while to wrap/finish a thread with life getting in the way. But Golly Gee, when we started actually plotting the ideas for the threads and legit finishing them instead of them just dying because I had no clue where the thread was going -- that was a fan-fraking-tastic day. 

They also gave me the confidence to expand out of my comfort zone of characters by branching out and writing males character, which are now some of my most fun to write. Sometimes I still have trouble plotting, but they're always there to listen and help me twist my singular thought into something good.

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• 1 month later...

Personally Im more open to different lifestyles because of roleplaying with people from all types of backgrounds. I grew up a little sheltered so roleplaying was a way for me to learn not just about writing but also about others and I know that I am a better person because I have dealt with people from all over and with tons of things to teach me.

rpgam.png

I’ll take a more negative spin on this, as I see a lot of positive perspectives above too, thankfully. Overall, there was one RP website that had an inconsiderate staff team who would take odd perspectives on how they ran the website. For example, if someone rubbed them the wrong way, instant ban. Someone criticizes how they run their website? Gone. For every action, no matter how little or big (IC or OOC too!), anything would result in a permanent ban. I even got banned while being a lower-tier staff member. All I wanted to do was HELP… but no one listened. It was almost if they admin it as a tyrannical dictator with us as his facade of democracy. It was horrific. There was no discussion with other staff members or those who got banned. Just radio silence for months on end unless an uproar happened, but even then, nothing changed.  In all honesty, it destroyed their memberbase completely and eventually led to their shutdown last year. This is NOT how a site should be ran.

In truth, this led to how I run my own website and staff team. Careful consideration and transparent communication is key to any functioning website. Rather than running to ban someone instantly for a minor violation, as a staff team we communicate and consider the factors for each individual and their situation. While it may take more time than instantly striking someone with the ban hammer, it makes everyone involved feel better and allows us to evaluate all sides of the story beforehand. Overall, there’s a certain distaste about the previously mentioned website that drove me to be better. I am glad though. It gave the opportunity to thrive and improve. <33

• Cheers 1

owner of some website ❤️