Interest Check: DnD-Esque Fire Emblem

Macbeth

Heya! I've posted this interest check on another site a few weeks ago to a very unenthused audience, but even if they're not necessarily passionate about this project, I definitely am, so I'm hoping I can get some second opinions on this!~

What is your idea?
-A smaller FE3H RP run similarly to a DND campaign. Though it shares similar mechanics in terms of dice rolls + character sheets, and has an overarcing site plot, there is no obligation to participate. Player run plots are encouraged, though anything world changing I'd prefer be run by a game master. I plan on having it be 99% OCs, the main exception being Rhea. 

Okay. How do character sheets work?
-Character sheets are combined with a character application. Once approved, it will be locked and moved to an approved characters subforum. In order to have your character sheet modified, you'd submit a request following a template listing what you got and where, and from there a staff will copy + paste the code directly into your original post. 

In terms of stats, etc, I was planning on having each character start with 60 free points to distribute as they please across 7 stats. When a character completes a topic, an event, etc, they'd be awarded EXP, and once awarded enough EXP they'd level up. When levelling up, you'd either get 4 points to distribute (with a maximum of 1 per stat), or you could have a randomized dice roll with the potential to gain more or less stats.

I'm also thinking of having backgrounds- i.e, ingrained character traits chosen from a list that will grant your character a few neat tidbits (such as skills and equipment)- for an example, starting as a criminal might make your character more skilled in picking locks, while starting as a scholar might give your character an extra language to start out.

How does nobility work?
-Honestly, I'm leaning towards each player only being allowed to play 2 noble/heir characters from canon houses, or 1 member of royalty, this being to prevent players from grabbing every spot and taking opportunities away from players who come later. I'm also thinking that for the main royalty, there will be a 'preset' number of slots available, so we don't end up with, say, 12 different player characters from the same royal family.

What about crests?
-Honestly, crests are a point of contention- but what I'm leaning towards is being able to choose between three options.
1) You can start with any one of a predetermined list of crests depending on your character's origin. This can be interpreted as certain families/nobles/etc inheriting their bloodline, but a character of one family would never be able to randomly start with another family's crest unless it is described sufficiently in their backstory. With this, there is a dice roll to determine whether or not your crest manifests as a major rather than minor crest. The odds are pretty low, but you're guaranteed to start with a crest, so less risk less reward I guess?
2) You can have a randomized dice roll to determine your crest, chosen from a random list. Some crests are available through this method that are not available anywhere else- such as the crests of Ernest, Noa, Timotheus, Aubin, Chevalier, and Macuil. There is also a doubled chance of you rolling a major crest- however, there is also a chance to not obtain any crest at all.
3) You can choose to start with no crest at all, and instead receive some bonus starting rewards such as unique skills and abilities that cannot be easily obtained elsewhere.

Will there be combat?
-Yes and no. Consistently participating in the site's main plot will practically guarantee combat, but there is no obligation to do so. Combat is mainly done through a similar to the game system of rolls, but if both parties agree, there can be scripted fights with no roles, or fights done in a freeform fashion.

As a rule of thumb, all fights are death disabled unless all parties agree otherwise.

This does not mean that it's impossible to get hurt or injured- doing things impulsively without thinking (I.E., committing murder in front of a guard, using dark magic near church officials, being a murderhobo in general) can and will have consequences for your character, but moderators will generally warn you when you're going down a bad path, be it IC or OOC.

How do threads work?
I'm thinking of having a few types of threads. You can only have a maximum of 1 of each type of thread up at a time with the exception of social threads.
1) Main plot threads. These are threads that correlate directly to the main plot of the site. Completed threads will be evaluated by a moderator, and all participants will receive rewards accordingly. Rewards for these types of threads include gold, EXP, items, and support points.
2) Solo threads. The title of this type of thread is misleading, instead representing solo/personal plots that you intend to earn rewards for. Once evaluated by a moderator, they will receive rewards on par with main plot threads, such as gold, EXP, items, and support points.
3) Missions. Basically side quests. Can be taken by any characters that fit the requirements. In general, these will be roleplayed out with a given staff member until the completion of the given objective. Only missions that include combat can award EXP, but all missions award gold and support points.
4) Social threads. These are casual threads, including pretty much everything under the sun not represented by the upper classifications. EXP and gold cannot be gained from these types of threads, but it is possible to obtain items and support points via evaluation.

Will this RP be centered on Garreg Mach, or can I play characters from other areas?
-I'm heavily leaning towards having it be centered on garreg mach or garreg mach faculty. Not to say other characters won't be included eventually, buuuuut... :woozy:

How does magic work?
-I'm going to be honest, I haven't thought about that yet. I'm thinking of having the amount of spells known + how strong they are correspond to level- I.E., characters cannot start out with magical nukes.

Will there be skills/combat arts/battalions/weaponry ranks?
-In order- yes, maaaybe, no, and yes.
Skills will be obtained through reaching certain weaponry ranks, but each character can start out with a custom personal skill. Combat arts I feel like will end up being modifiers to the dice combat system, but I'm thinking of having them consume spell slots when used so you can't just spam them willy nilly. Weaponry Ranks.... I'm leaning towards having 6 ranks rather than the original 12 (E, D, C, B, A, and S respectively). I'm thinking every two levels, you can advance forward 1 letter rank in any given category. Achieving ranks C and A will give you a combat art, while D, B, and S will give you a choice between skills. Also thinking every character starts with 1 'simple/basic' combat art OR a simple/basic spell for free.

Anything else?
-...Dunno, I think that's it? Post below if you have any questions, comments, etc.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know little to nothing about Fire Emblem, except what was in Super Smash Brothers. It's a good idea, seems like the setting is a good fit! Not really my thing, unfortunately. Used to write on some DnD style/stat-based sites, and I just burnt out so quickly. Do you have anyway to help mitigate that for writers? 

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

Hiya! Thanks for your response~

Honestly? It really depends on the source of burnout. If the burnout comes from simply not enjoying the genre, then that's something I can't fix as easily as, say, posting requirements or lack of available plots. 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I like the concept but I personally tend to stray from numbers-based RPs. As long as the mechanics aren't too over-calculated, this sounds like a really neat idea that a lot of fire emblem fans could get on board with.