Settings You'd Love to Play and But Never Find

Dragon

I've been reading a lot more trashy chinese and korean cultivation novels/manhwas lately and they normally follow the same formula/system/tropes> I think stealing a bunch of elements from the more popular ones and dumping it into one setting could really work.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:19 PM, omnitricks said:

I've been reading a lot more trashy chinese and korean cultivation novels/manhwas lately and they normally follow the same formula/system/tropes> I think stealing a bunch of elements from the more popular ones and dumping it into one setting could really work.

Does this mean it will have the following? XD

Brutality and Law of the Jungle 

Face Culture/Face Slapping (I.e. "face matters more than life") 

Spirit Beasts

Alchemy/Crafting 

Arrogant Young Masters

Vomiting blood

"I, your father" 

"You have eyes, but fail to recognise Mt. Tai!"

Female cultivators who are beauties possessing "jadelike skin with no impurities" 

Etc. 

I think that just caught I, your father's interest. XD

• Fuck Yeah! 1

I adore historical based RP sites and I know there are a few out there! But I mainly have not personally seen any ancient Chinese based RP which I think would be very fun to do! I'm surprised I haven't really seen any considering the number of chinese and korean drama shows out there. 

One I am quite fond of is Ashes of Love - which has ancient Chinese vibe but its revovles around their "gods/goddess" called immortals. I would literally die just to have a site based on this! 

On 3/25/2021 at 12:41 PM, Lawman said:

Does this mean it will have the following? XD

Brutality and Law of the Jungle 

Face Culture/Face Slapping (I.e. "face matters more than life") 

Spirit Beasts

Alchemy/Crafting 

Arrogant Young Masters

Vomiting blood

"I, your father" 

"You have eyes, but fail to recognise Mt. Tai!"

Female cultivators who are beauties possessing "jadelike skin with no impurities" 

Etc. 

I think that just caught I, your father's interest. XD

Fellow daoist, you're assuming that we all wouldn't be playing the arrogant young masters  rushing for spirit beasts and pills.

But jokes aside, its also because these settings normally have some system in place (game systems for the korean stuff and more like a power structure to advance through for the chinese stuff) which I think would translate quite well into a game as well. At least until author-kun needs to start throwing out some plot armour and deus ex machinas.

• LOL 1

Some sort of flintlock fantasy could be a ton of fun, I think. Not necessarily the powder mage setting, but something sort of like that. 

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

I would love a Pendragon forum of some kind! It would be rather difficult (as would some kind of adaptation anywhere) because it's so fantastical and the 10-book series takes you to so many different locations... but it'd be so cool to create characters from the different 'worlds'. It'd be pretty hard to find artwork as well. 

• 3 months later...

I've always thought that a site based on Clare Bell's The Named series would be neat. The series revolves around a clan of sentient, prehistoric cat-like creatures that worship fire, and I feel like the concept could work well as a sandbox-type RP. The only thing is that the series is fairly obscure, so it'd probably be a bit too niche.

Been roleplaying for about 8-9 years.

A rich, original Asian-Fantasy setting is something I long for, something I don't see often and part of why I have begun building the lore for my forum. I was one of those people who was super late to ATLA and when people kept referring to my city as the new Ba Sing Se, I finally broke down, watched it and metaphorically wept because it was so neat to see something similar to what I had in mind on a much bigger magnitude be pulled off, because it just worked, and it was absurdly popular.

Seeing real world culture be ripped off and slapped it in a quasi-unrelated RP setting got old for me pretty fast, and I prefer to watch or read my K/J/T/C Dramas rather than RP them. Like others stated previously, you just don't see a lot of Historical Asian or Fantasy Asian settings. And if there were in an RP, it is/was almost exclusively Japanese, Chinese or Korean lore or a Japanese/Chinese/Korean setting. Seeing things like ATLA worked because it referenced cultural identity without ripping the cultures off directly. Ba Sing Se had Chinese connotation and influence but it wasn't Feudal China. Raya and the Last Dragon was another really great example of pulling from Southeast Asian culture without ripping it off. Shadow and Thorn has a lot of inspiration from North Asian cultures.

There's so much amazing Asian lore to pull from that would make spectacular settings. I would love to see much, much more.

Tlaloc, my love...

I'd kill for a nice Medieval or Historical Superpowers or Sci-Fi setting. I love big juxtapositions of things, and so rarely see it done. I am hopeful with all the Nevers stuff we might see something like that coming soon!

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 6 months later...

I'd love to roleplay in The First Sister series, but it's not wildly popular in the RP world.

I'd love to find a new MLP roleplay. They used to be popular a in the 2010's but the fandom has kind of died  and its hard to find active MLP roleplays nowadays.

A Judge Dredd RP or Watchmen RP or a First Law RP.

[center][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/gnVUS8y.jpg[/IMG]
[b]Dragon Age: Post-Trespasser
9:47 DRAGON[/b]
[URL=https://herebedragonsrp.jcink.net/]Guidelines[/URL][/center]

An rp based on Criminal Minds

An rp based on the original Law & Order series (as well as SVU & Criminal Intent)

A crime show multi-fandom rp (Blue Bloods, Law & Order, Chicago PD, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire)

An rp based on Soap Opera (General Hospital, One Life to Live, Days of Our Lives & All My Children)

Edited by Kitsunesweetheart

On 5/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, Liv said:

Very niche, but I'd be very curious about a Mists of Avalon setting. Would also love to come across a board set in the Bakumatsu/very early Meiji era.

I would definitely sign up for Mists of Avalon... le sigh

23 hours ago, Kitsunesweetheart said:

An rp based on Criminal Minds

An rp based on the original Law & Order series (as well as SVU & Criminal Intent)

A crime show multi-fandom rp (Blue Bloods, Law & Order, Chicago PD, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire)

An rp based on Soap Opera (General Hospital, One Life to Live, Days of Our Lives & All My Children)

YES TO ALL THE ABOVE.. except the last line.. soap opera..*insert cheeky grin*

• 2 weeks later...

I've always struggled to find mixed animal and human rpgs that aren't shifter/werewolf things. I like the dynamics that come out of those but have never seen it work in practice.