Settings You'd Love to Play and But Never Find

Dragon

• Operations Mod

Are there any genres or specific fandom settings that you would just love a chance to play, but can never seem to locate another individual, much less group, to plot with?

Why do you think the availability is lacking? Do you think the subject matter is too obscure, advertising just isn't working... whatever the case. 

For example, I would love to find another partner to write with in the world of Neal Shusterman's Unwind Dystology books, but in addition to limited audience exposure it's also just an ultra dark series. Not by the content of the plot by any means. For the most part the story itself is run of the mill YA struggle and triumph against the powers that be. The subject matter that the content revolves around, though, is wicked dark - it takes place in a world where abortion was outlawed, but as long as a child was at least 13 and under 18 the parents could have them Unwound. Unwinding a person means to dismantle them piece by piece and turn the resulting parts into donor organs. Because 98.6% of the original tissues making up the person remain alive, just in separate pieces, then it doesn't count as killing. The parts of the unwound individual can then be donated to or purchased by other living people. So that 28 year old dad in dire need of a kidney transplant can get a healthy kidney... or that 43 year old thrice divorced ass can buy those dreamy blue eyes he's always wanted. 

At this point I think it kinda goes without saying that the series revolves around the kids who found out they were going to be Unwound and ran before it could happen (if you avoid getting caught till 18 they can't unwind you).

Anyway, yeah, share your genres/fandoms/worlds/whatever that you'd love to play but just never get to. 

• Like 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Mine is the Skulduggery Pleasant fandom, which I actually made a site for a few years ago, but it's really too obscure for many to latch on to. I tried to advertise it as best I could, but only managed to pull in one person who never actually joined the Discord or posted anything. It's such a shame, because it's a modern magic setting that has full open-world potential, so has no need to be confined to canons - I love the universe and it is so ripe for rpg. I still go to the site I made sometimes and wonder if I should try to push it again, but it's not as if the fandom has grown (I don't think) since 2015, or whenever it was I first tried.

I've never heard of the Unwind Dystology, but they sound interesting, if dark!

I really love magical girl roleplays! Of all kinds. 

The reason theyre lacking is pretty obvious though. 

Not only is it a pretty niche interest, but played totally straight its hard to not have a 'main cast' and everyone else involved as a side character. Beyond that, it would probably end up being a fairly repetitive, linear sort of story. 

When sites find ways around these issues :') it's still such a niche interest that activity is low low low. 

image0.jpg

I'm kinda craving for some historical based role playing these days. I mean if there were any role play forum about Rome, or even better Egypt myths... That'd have been nice. But, in my country all of the rpg forums all about non fiction books. Sometimes -other than myths- i really wanna write some historical based websites.

• Like 1

Modern supernatural sites set literally anywhere else than the US. I honestly do not understand at all how "weird small town in bumfuck nowhere in America" became the staple setting for these sites.

• LOL 1

b3.png.ddd374d50d86896978f146d1af65d1a4.png

I always did enjoy a good faction RP, but I feel like every time I do one, it just ends up limiting who I can and can't RP with. Its definitely a hard balance to strike!

Obscure-ass and dead fandoms, mostly. Abhorsen series by Garth Nix and The Blade  Itself by Joe Abercrombie both had amazing political world building, as did a lot of earlier Squaresoft games.

I'm keen on seeing what comes of the new generation of FF7 for that reason.

• Like 2

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

Heralds of Valdemar - it always amazes me that Dragonriders of Pern took off like a rocket, RP-wise, but there's no one interested in Valdemar. (I mean, I described Take a Thief as Oliver Twist meets Pern, so there's a lot of overlap in the wish-fulfillment side of things.)

34 year old woman living in the eastern US. Time zone is EST.

22 minutes ago, fandomjunkie said:

Heralds of Valdemar - it always amazes me that Dragonriders of Pern took off like a rocket, RP-wise, but there's no one interested in Valdemar. (I mean, I described Take a Thief as Oliver Twist meets Pern, so there's a lot of overlap in the wish-fulfillment side of things.)

ABSOLUTELY. Oh my word. HoV is such a good series. In a similar vein, I always wanted a Wolfwalker site. They're all really good ideas, all very similar, and it surprises me that DRoP was the only one that really caught on!

I was part of a very short-lived HoV site back in 2004/2005, and the only thing I've seen for it since is a half-built jcink site that's been abandoned. (One of my long-standing Pern characters actually began her existence as a Herald-trainee. I don't even remember the name of her Companion, lol. Other people were playing the Companions.) And yes, Wolfwalker! That's another good one.

34 year old woman living in the eastern US. Time zone is EST.

I have eagerly been awaiting for someone to make a Kiseki series site for ten years now.

An Atelier series site would also be very welcomed.

Unfortunately, both series likely lack the audience to be much of a success.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

On 4/30/2020 at 12:08 AM, Pretty Please said:

I'm kinda craving for some historical based role playing these days. I mean if there were any role play forum about Rome, or even better Egypt myths... That'd have been nice. But, in my country all of the rpg forums all about non fiction books. Sometimes -other than myths- i really wanna write some historical based websites.

Historical ones like Rome or Britanniac have been on my list a bit. So have some sci-fi fandoms you don't see played, some space ones (none out i'd join), some action based spies or assassins, or explorer ones, or zombies and post-apocalyptic ones. I've a handful of others. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Very niche, but I'd be very curious about a Mists of Avalon setting. Would also love to come across a board set in the Bakumatsu/very early Meiji era.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Come and join us in Ancient Rome!

• Admin
On 4/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, Pretty Please said:

https://www.aeternaromarpg.com/

I have a ton but Dredd, Repo Men (or Repo the Genetic Opera) and Clone Wars era Star Wars are the ones I wish there were more of.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 1 month later...

Oh, definitely! I can never find a forum that deals with a zombie apocalypse. I'd love to have one thats a mix of resident evil or twd style zombies paired with supernaturals. Theres so many possibilities with that! I used to run a site back in the day that had zombies, but that was chat-based rp and its been like 6 years since then. its like the genre died. I can't even find a forum thats still going that has zombies like what I want to do. 

• Love 1