Some Random Questions

ThriftStoreTeeth

I haven't broken anything in a few days (planning the pizza party for next week btw), but I have been playing with stuff, and dumping some questions into a notepad file. Most of them, Google has answered, but there's a few that are more Vesta-specific. Fortunately, a lot of these are yes/no questions lol No rush on this either. I'm just curious about this stuff.

1. I added an extra $text->label-> bit to the characters language file to change Title to Alias in the character creation form. Is it going to 'splode down the road? I'm fine with having to redo it as things update. Just want to make sure the PHP works the way I think it does for stuff like that.
  2. Featherlight is only used in the character galleries, right? I haven't even touched it yet because its been a total headache in the past.
  3. Is the full Bootstrap library available to me as-is? I haven't had a look through things because JavaScript is 2spooky4me, but want to add some other stuff.
  4. Does Vesta affect browser caching or image loading at all? I have to dump my cache a lot more than I'm used to while I get nitpicky in the CSS, which is weird on its own, but its also making all the images I have loaded/handled through Vesta seem like they're lazy loading. Neither are a big deal, but I'm curious if its Vesta or Vivaldi because I use the canary repos for Vivaldi so browser behaviour gets tweaked a lot, and this just might be how things happen for a while.
  5. There seems to be a mystery second <nav/div class="user"> somewhere that wraps the top navbar. I added padding to the CSS, and it went "NO! GIB MOAR PADDING!" which prompted a witch hunt through the template itself, dev tools, and even viewing source. Is it stashed away somewhere else? I'd like to be able to remove .screwyou from the nav.
  6. How/where is the page's render order specified so I can tell lizard brain to STFU about the frame template not being in DOM order, and go back to whining about the noises the fridge makes?
  7. Probably related to 6, but what do function template_user/member do? I have an idea for a sticky navbar that starts out as the default but both navs combine when the site nav hits the top of the screen. Being able to combine the contents of the two function templates would make it easier, but I can work around that if it'll break things.
  8. I know what the $returns do, but there seems to be a few extras above/below the user nav. Any particular reason, or just to make doubly sure the login check stops when it should?

Sorry for throwing all of these at you at once! I just figured this was smarter/less annoying than dropping a question every couple of hours, and like poking at Vesta's guts to see what it does, especially after realizing PHP really isn't as complicated as my sad attempts years ago made it feel like.

ETA: Answered one of them myself.

Edited by ThriftStoreTeeth

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

1. It'll probably overwrite when Vesta's updated. Otherwise, it'll be fine.
2. Yes. It'll work automatically though, only thing users need to do between themes is copy over the Featherlight CSS.
3. Yes. It pulls from Bootstrap's CDN.
4. It shouldn't.
5. Quite frankly, I don't remember. I'd have to look at it.
6. It isn't.
7. template_user loads the user bar. template_menu, I assume is what you meant because I don't remember it having a template_member, loads the main menu. I'm not sure what's complicated about that. The two are separate from the rest of the templates, along with the button strip template, to make changing them easy. The bootstrap navbar has some slight issues on their code's end not mine where it won't show the hamburger button or slide out on certain mobile devices, but will work on others, so fair warning about that. I know that happens, I can't fix it. Salerno won't be using bootstrap menus, is about the best I can do.
8. If there are extra returns, it's probably there to make the menu stop trying to load when there isn't a menu to load. Ergo, if there are no links on your menu bar, there's no sense in building the HTML for it when there's nothing to output.

If it's any consolation, Vesta very rarely uses procedural PHP, which is a migraine, and relies mostly on object-oriented. It's something of a new thing, much cleaner looking, and a bit easier to grasp I think.

• Thank you 1
  • Preach it! 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

@Arceus Thank you again! Sorry for being a pain in the butt. I promise I'm going to finish off the design today, and then leave things alone for a while lol As for the template_user/menu, it was one I threw in while I was tired, and don't remember what the heck I was confused about now. My bad. And I definitely agree on the object-oriented PHP. It makes a million times more sense looking through it, even to a n00b!

I know how dev goes/how things change from plan to execution, but are you planning on keeping bootstrap in general for Salerno? What I was thinking of using out of their libraries can be done in pure CSS too.

It will still have Bootstrap, yes. I wanted to keep the profile tabbing, and the most elegant way to do it is Bootstrap IMO.

Also, another fun trivia, Vesta was my first time working with OOPHP. c:

Oh, and I think on a re-read I finally understand what 5 is actually asking and your CSS for the menu bar is going to conflict inherently with Bootstrap's CSS on occasion, so you may be having a war with Bootstrap there too, not Vesta.

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

@Arceus Ohhhhh! So that's where the tabs are handled! I had flashbacks to the 'anchor links and overflow: none div' thing when I first saw the HTML for it, and just... backed away slowly. Now I'm curious though. Where else is bootstrap lurking? I'm not familiar enough with it to tell when its controlling frontend stuff, as opposed to straight HTML/CSS.

Well, you did a damn good job of it, I must say! Lord knows, if it were me, it'd be a mess of spaghetti code six layers deep lol

ETA: Weird thing I've been meaning to mention... Not sure if its a bug or something I can fix. I'm trying to add some more sections to the character biography form in the admin panel, but they keep changing order on their own after I've reordered them and the page refreshes. Like, I'll do section A, B, C, D and then when I come back to the page, they're in A, D, C, B every time. Section A has been there for a while, and it doesn't seem to matter if I delete and remake the sections, they go back to the order they want to be in, not what I told them to do.

I do believe that's it for what Bootstrap handles, actually.

Tbf I'd been working with procedural PHP for over a decade beforehand.

Rename them in the order they decide to be in?

It's possible the ordering of sections isn't saving properly. (That is jQuery powered, and I'm also kind of new to jQuery Ajax calls.) I can have a look at it later, but in the meantime, it just reorders them based on a numerical _position value in the database, if you're feeling brave you can also manually number them in the database.

@Arceus Hmm, have you looked at the radio trick for tabs? Its pretty clean code-wise, and inherently mobile friendly with nothing but CSS/HTML so less bandwidth usage. Most people over-code them for online examples, but you can beat it into submission with about 3 lines of CSS lol

Either way, you still did a brilliant job with it!

I was too busy arguing with the drag-and-drops being a little finicky for me (yay carpal tunnel and manual dexterity problems!) to think of that before, but I did just try renaming and they're still doing it. ...and I just checked the database, and yeah. I'll manually number them cause their _position is all 1. Something's not getting info along the way. That, or the code gremlins are just... eating the info.

Yeah I've never been able to get that to work for me. I can write an entire functioning software completely solo, but CSS and radio buttons defeat me. Well, we're good at what we're good at I guess. LOL

Alrighty. Well at least I have somewhere to start. c:

@Arceus This is very true lol If you're ever interested, I can send you a version of the code that's only got the bits that make it actually function and position the labels for the radios (cause those are a pain to get where you want sometimes). Or I might write up a guide for it at some point. Haven't decided on that yet lol

It did it again. One of the problem sections jumped back up again, and when I checked the database, they'd all reset back to 1. I put them back in order in the database, and deleted the problem section because insolence deserves the ultimate punishment (I can also live without it). I'll let you know if that fixed it, or if something changes/I notice particular behaviours triggering things moving around on me.

Edit: I think its reordering that's causing it. Added the fields I wanted, and nothing changed in the database. The second I reordered a few of the fields, all the sections went back to 1. Manually reset it, moved a section above another, and same thing. Seems to me like the database is being told something's changed, but not what, and just defaulting back to 1, or the code is only sending it a 1 for updates.

@Riseoftheg  I haven't since my site isn't super geared around battle stuff so I don't see a need for it unless members demand it lol If you're looking for one, I think Arceus is doing something for the next update of Vesta? I've got a "random whatever you want" jQuery script saved somewhere if you're looking, but it doesn't attach the specific dice roll to the post or anything.

Meh, I'll wait for the update. I was talking with friend on Discord and you popped into my head when I mentioned a dice function.

@Riseoftheg  I'm touched, my dude 😛 But yeah, it would probably be the best idea right now. What I've got would turn out... Messy lol

• LOL 1

Yes, at some point after Salerno, Vesta will be getting a fully-featured automated battle system (Salerno does not get it because it's fucking humongous a project tbh, I did it on SMF and I cried a lot). Little more than just a dice system, it'll handle skills and skill levels, damage calculations, passive and active abilities, creature spawning, automatic quest DMing, a bestiary, and a few other things. Everything in it, like most of Vesta, can be turned on or off and customised to one's liking. I am also hoping to make in-battle HP calculation and NPC fighter management automated by the system too, but this may take more time to do.

• Fuck Yeah! 1