Open Discord or Member Only?

Flahme

Hi All. I have a discord server set up for my site and I only have it open to members at the moment.  The link is given in the welcome email and so far it is pretty quiet since all the members are people I know and have in other servers. But, I used discord like. All. The. Time. Seriously it's a sickness but I prefer it as a chat and community based program more than any other.

I noticed many sites have a discord button somewhere on it, so this makes me think people are happy with anyone joining their server. I get guests should be able to come in and see what sort of community you are, but I have a couple of questions around this.

Do you end up with a bunch of people on your server who haven't joined your site and just sort of hang around?

Or do you set it up so guests can join and then when they leave they are auto removed (I saw there is an option for this)?

Do you find a bigger conversion rate with having this option?

• Like 1

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

• Admin

Meh. I restrict chats that are private/personal on my own to server chats I don’t care if I have stalkers/lurkers that want to chat. As long as they are not trolls there is no reason to restrict it.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Operations Mod

Do you end up with a bunch of people on your server who haven't joined your site and just sort of hang around? No. Most scopers who are not interested leave of their own accord. After 24 hours I'll make an @tag greet attempt to lurkers. If there's no peep from them after a few days I boot them - it's not like that takes any actual extra work to do. However, I don't have a problem with people just hanging out in the discord as long as they interact. Some people feel the community out a few days- or a year @SithLordOfSnark (luv you lol) - before they join. Discord permissions allow users to restrict access to channels via roles so that's no issue. 

Personally, I won't even consider a site if I can't scope the discord prior to joining. I want a feel of the community before making that kind of investment, as I only join sites I intend to stick with long term. 

Or do you set it up so guests can join and then when they leave they are auto removed (I saw there is an option for this)?  I employ this option as well. It isn't necessarily fail proof, though, especially when there are multiple people placing ads around. It still helps cut down on those split seconds it takes to kick someone who hasn't engaged once in 48 hours. 

Do you find a bigger conversion rate with having this option? Yes. Potential members can interact with members and ask questions. It also provides a means of connection - sometimes people are just checking things out, then relate to something a member posts. They hit it off and bam, new member. 

• Agree 2

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I really cannot add much to what @Dragon said. She nailed it! Here goes anyway...

Our Discord servers are the beating hearts of our three sites. We have OOC forums for those that don't use Discord, but nearly 100% of our plotting, planning, character discussions and the like happen in DIscord.

Do you end up with a bunch of people on your server who haven't joined your site and just sort of hang around?

• I have a few, but they do not disrupt our discussions or cause any issues so I leave them be. Some of them have joined our site as well, but have not created a character yet (Discord alerts on both when they do). I do a yearly purge of Discord members that have not chatted to us, joined the site and created characters. 

Or do you set it up so guests can join and then when they leave they are auto removed (I saw there is an option for this)?

• I actually do the kicking myself.

• Yes. However, most people that join my Discord start out asking about the site. Sometimes they still poof but that's RPG life. People come and go.

• Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I can't really add much to what was already said, but I'll answer anyway. 

- Sometimes! I usually let people lurk in the discord for up to a week before I boot them. I know sometimes people like to get a feel for the site chatter, interactions, and so on and may not be comfortable jumping into the conversation right away. However, if they don't have an app up after that week, I usually boot them. (if I remember. sometimes people get to hang out for longer until I browse the discord member list and go: who the heck is that?)

I manually boot. 

I think so. We also utilize the general discord a lot to talk to each other, so it's an easy way for a guest or potential (apping) member to ask questions or find the discord name of the person they need to discuss a want ad with etc. etc. 

We also only have 3 public channels in our discord: general chat, want ads, and our face claim directory. The rest is private and is available to anyone who is a member. I would also make a point to not exclusively talk to your members in other servers that aren't the site server. Especially if you open it up to guests. 

As long as Titan's awake, hell - you can check out the most recent chats sans one channel without ever announcing yourself a la the web app.

I do a basic 'friendly human and/or bot' check and have weeded out people who just never show any sign of life after a week or so with no hard feelings toward 'em (my main guess is not-regular Discord users who just stopped logging in after the interest faded). There's a small but memorable number of users I or other members have had bad experiences with, else I wouldn't even bother with that level of pruning tbh.

Beyond that, if you've passed the 'friendly human and/or bot' check and you're not causing drama, the worst you're going to get from us is a friendly @ every once in a while.

I don't know what the conversion rate for a more exclusive Discord is, but I've liked the way things seem to unroll as we have it so there's that. 

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

Thanks for the feedback, as always it is hugely useful.  I've been sick as a dog all weekend so will look at changing up my discord tomorrow.

@StormWolfe I'm interested in discord announcements re people joining your site. Is that a bot that does that?

@PixieMegs totally here you regarding talking to current members in other servers.

I also like the idea of having only some channels open to non members that would be easy enough to set up.

Cheers, all. 🙂

• Love 1

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)