New Trends

Byrn

Hey there It's been ages since I have landed on the forum rpg scene, life hit me like a meteor end of last year and we all know about the mess that's completely taken over 2020. It's been roughly a year since I have ventured this way and I am working on a new site (okay well maybe a revamp of an old favorite). I find myself wondering what new trends there are. Discord was sort of really beginning to lift off when I fell off the wagon. I noticed member lists made it to the html templates too! I'd love to hear about any other fun new things! Don't even have to be mainstream, it can be something new to you that you recently implemented and love.

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

A lot of Discord shenanigans, really, dicebots being one of my favorites.

There's newer contenders for Jcink's roleplay forum monopoly, including Arceus' Vespa (formerly known as Gaia) here most recently and MyBB on a smaller scale.

There's more face claim resources than when I got back into the scene a couple years ago, some of which follow a similar criteria search-friendly model to Initiative's.

There's been a huge uptick in Final Fantasy VII fandom-based roleplays with the remake.

Much of the world will still be familiar to you from last year, and it would be interesting to hear what you notice having changed coming back.

• Like 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I don't have much to add to this. But I keep coming back and trying to think of something to add. 

Like Somniac said, a lot of discord stuff. We recently added a face claim directory to our discord server so members could post the faces they'd like to see on site. It's guest friendly, so whenever someone new comes along we let them know they're free to browse that channel or ask for help. 

I have noticed a small spike in Hunger Games forums, probably due to the prequel that just came out. 

I haven't noticed a huge shift in skin styles over the past year. I know a lot are going for a minimalist look, which is aesthetically pleasing, but  I don't find them easy to navigate or read. 

I recently saw some old school, traditional app templates recently and I've noticed a lot of sites are merging apps into the character bio (like when you click on a username). That's not super new, but I think it is becoming more of the norm. 

Edit: AND discord advertising. Which I forgot about because I don't do it often. 

Edited by PixieMegs
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PixieMegs said:

I recently saw some old school, traditional app templates recently and I've noticed a lot of sites are merging apps into the character bio (like when you click on a username). That's not super new, but I think it is becoming more of the norm. 

Edit: AND discord advertising. Which I forgot about because I don't do it often. 

The user bio profiles is definitely not new for me, I feel like I was one of the first to explore it a year or so ago on the jcink forums? I am HAPPY to see it is turning into the norm. And the nifty css codes to remove the default fields in the UCP, a wonderful thing that is.

The discord advertising thing IS news to me though! I recall rpg-d having it on their server. But there are existing servers just for ads?

• Love 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

I used profile apps back in 2015 and I definitely wasn't the first because I was inspired to use them by another jcink site! There were also some great resources/how-tos on another RP resource forum. I'm glad to see that more and more people are doing really cool things with them in terms of designs and aesthetics, I wish more sites would use them. They're also great because you get your pretty without having to wade through a ton of dohtml with everything breaking when you accidentally delete a '>'.

One really great thing that I've seen coming around more and more is the use of the single directory for FCs, members, characters, and factions. These directories are minimal effort for staff because they're auto-updated as soon someone is accepted onto the site. I love them.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

My sister managed to break an entire directory because of dohtml. She does not understand html at all. This was during a time when I decided to quit being an admin so we kinda were stuck with a site that had it. We picked it because of its profiles but she still had to use html for the directory. 😂 

now I’m running sites again. 😔 

but my favorite ancient ass software drives me crazy

but everything else is always missing something. Argh

also for new trends, I’m seeing more and more people trying out different software which is pretty cool. And yeah discord has gotten bigger... I don’t have it anymore myself. But it’s undeniable that it’s a big new thing every site is expected to have. 

Edited by Zozma

Reality is an illusion.