Canuck Gangland Shenanigans (Interest Check/Feedback)

Let me start by saying that I know there's a few gangland/crime sites floating around, but they're all either biker or crime family/mafia style. That's not what I'm proposing here. Also, it'll be a while yet before I have anything significant to show for this concept, as I want to get my current site built up a little more first. Lastly, this is actually a site I've tried before, but due to my co-admin abandoning the project it never opened, so I do have some stuff saved for it already. Anyway, on with the idea!

Basically what I'm thinking is a street gang situation in Toronto. It'll have an ultra-simplified hierarchy system for the sake of my own sanity, and relatively minimal lore. There's two warring gangs, and general civilians who get caught in the middle of it. You can choose whether or not your characters engage in the main plot, as long as they're civilians/unaffiliated with either gang. We'll also be running some gang-related and neutral events, and most of the neutral events will be things that actually happen in Toronto such as the CNE, Pride, Carabana, TIFF, and so on.

I'm also tossing around an entirely new addition, though it would take a little while for that one to get going and be much more of a subplot. Human trafficking is a big component to most organized crime, yet doesn't seem to be something that's really explored in RP unless its the primary focus. I think it would be interesting to work in an "official" component of it without letting it overtake the site. I'm not sure on the mechanics of how it would work yet, but there'd probably be an option to sign your character up to get grabbed somehow, and then... That's where I'm drawing a blank lol

Of course, it'd be 3-3-3. It'll also definitely be on Vesta (self-hosted) because that shit's dead simple. So yeah. Thoughts?

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

Looks like a really promising premise; something new that steps outside the norm of being set in a US city.

I'd be down.

Though my question would be how you would handle IC deaths; would it be run by the players first and such?

Exactly! I'm bored of the US-based sites (he says, despite owning one) and wanted to see one set in my hometown lol

IC deaths (or really anything that could permanently affect a character) would be entirely up to the player in every situation. If we ran something that required permanent effects/death, it'd be stated upfront before the characters even got involved. For personal plots calling for that kind of thing, it'd be a matter of taking it up with their partner(s). I personally hate when staff try and control that kind of thing, so yeah.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 6:15 PM, ThriftStoreTeeth said:

Exactly! I'm bored of the US-based sites (he says, despite owning one) and wanted to see one set in my hometown lol

IC deaths (or really anything that could permanently affect a character) would be entirely up to the player in every situation. If we ran something that required permanent effects/death, it'd be stated upfront before the characters even got involved. For personal plots calling for that kind of thing, it'd be a matter of taking it up with their partner(s). I personally hate when staff try and control that kind of thing, so yeah.

Ah cheers for the clarification, definitely now sounds something I'd be willing to sink my teeth into.

6 hours ago, Lucky said:

Ah cheers for the clarification, definitely now sounds something I'd be willing to sink my teeth into.

Awesome! My plan is to get started on some stuff in the next week or so, and then it'll just be a case of how long it takes me to get all the info overhauled/written up, which... That could be a day or two of non-stop work, or a couple weeks of poking at it, depending on how much coffee I drink lol

I'll keep this thread at least somewhat updated with progress once I get into it, but I can PM you a link once its ready for members if you'd like?