Fun events with something to gain

Byrn

I will be working on an event for my site this next week that my staff and I are really excited about. In the past we've put together events and our problem resides in being overachievers and making it a little much. This has often lead us to never even finishing the event and things eventually dragging as the excitement wears off. With something that involves several characters its just something that can easily get overwhelming. So this time around we are seeking to simplify that execution but not skimp on the details. I know that only we will know how it works once we set it in motion but some insight on how others have done events and what you think this set-up will accomplish will greatly help me.

Our idea, because we are Halloween loving nutjobs: Halloween in July. Only given the site is based in an original fantasy world, we aren't calling it Halloween but instead creating a holiday or day in the year that fits right into that spooky niche. This is where we plan to pile the detail and lore by setting a scene for our members to immerse themselves in. For our world, this time of the year will be a time where the divide between the living dimension and the ghost world weakens. I will flower it differently but my vision is inspired by a fluorescent version of the northern lights and a sort of multicolored sheen  that the world takes on, it shifts and undulates and appears in opaque changing colors in different light and this is where ghosts can be seen on the other side of that veil. We are going to place the actual even at a festival of sorts and even add some folklore type fables to tie in with this. 

As for the event itself and executing it. I was thinking of placing it in a crooked little festival and then letting members go to town. Now... here's where I would also like to include some incentive.

You see our site has point system where they can buy vouchers to level up in a certain skill of their choice after earning (posting) enough points. I was thinking of adding more opportunities to pile on points by pinning a list of prompts, phrases, and random items or things that members can be challenged to include in their posts, each one will earn them a certain number of points. I love to throw humor into everything so I was thinking of making this ridiculous as possible while also adding in some scene-appropriate things. 

Thoughts?

I feel like I'm not making any sense.

Edited by Lavi
  • Love 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

You're making sense!  I'd like to start by addressing the issue you've had in the past with events. 

On 7/6/2020 at 3:23 PM, Lavi said:

In the past we've put together events and our problem resides in being overachievers and making it a little much. This has often lead us to never even finishing the event and things eventually dragging as the excitement wears off.

This is a very common issue with events. Finding the right pacing for your site is key and it is something I struggled with for a while and still goof from time to time. I LOVE creating events, it is possibly one of the main reasons that I run my own site. But figuring out how to make events fun, lasting, and not overstay their welcome was a lot of trial and error. You can still go over the top with events and keep the momentum going, it might be the set up that is the issue. I usually try to go for a two or three wave event. For example our Christmas event had- a pre party, where we opened the lobby to guests and let people mingle. Very little set up for this and everyone could have their own threads. Then we had the Atrium opened for the actual party, setting was set and we gauged the flow of the group thread and plopped in our chaos riiight when things were slowing down a bit. After that we had an "after the event" event, which involved interrogations and well..torture. The last one went on for a bit too long and overstayed its welcome, however the rest went pretty smoothly. 

We've also done mini-games in our events. Our Fall Equinox Festival had games where the characters 'entered the gnome toss' and we would do a dice roll to see how far the gnome was thrown. The winners were announced in the Prophet. We also had bobbing for apples and a ring toss. This was something people could do while going about their event threads. And then we offered a thread roulette where pairs were tossed into an awkward or bad situation- then of course, we let werewolves enter their threads at random. 

If you want to look at any of our events, we have them all saved and up on site!

On 7/6/2020 at 3:23 PM, Lavi said:

You see our site has point system where they can buy vouchers to level up in a certain skill of their choice after earning (posting) enough points. I was thinking of adding more opportunities to pile on points by pinning a list of prompts, phrases, and random items or things that members can be challenged to include in their posts, each one will earn them a certain number of points.

I think this is a great idea. A lot of the time if you simply let members go to town, they can get bored or wrap things up too quickly. And suddenly your event is done. Prompts, phrases, and random items are a good way to get them potentially post more and have a good time doing wacky things. Are you going to be doing individual threads or group threads or one large group thread?
 You could also allow a sign up for 'random events' to occur in their threads and set levels of ridiculousness. The more ridiculous the random event, the more points they get, and they'll never know when Staff is going to just drop something into their thread. Anticipation + reward. 

Good luck! I'd love to hear more about your plans and ideas! I hope the event goes well. ❤️

EDIT: I popped onto your site and saw that you launched the event. Sorry I didn't reply sooner!

Edited by PixieMegs