New Member Dragging Their Feet and Complaining... A lot

NyxDarklore

Recently, we've seen an influx of new people checking out the site and asking questions in the Discord, which is great and a sign that our advertising and word of mouth is working. Unfortunately, with this has come a very specific member who we'll call Jane.

Jane joined the Discord a couple weeks ago, was incredibly active and asking questions, even started an application the same day that they joined. This is great, once an incomplete application is up we allow two weeks to complete it before we archive it and we make sure to touch base with people if we've not seen movement in that time (who knows what RL is throwing at people?).

Throughout this whole process, Jane has been afforded this same courtesy but almost every time we've spoken to them they complain about 'all of this lore changing' and how they have to reread all of it now. That would be understandable if the lore had changed at all since they've joined.

Since Jane has joined, there have been a few pieces that have been edited for spelling mistakes, a couple of powers that received clarifications (based on member questions that weren't specific enough before), and a new document on the way the world works.

None of these things have affected what Jane was working on.

I guess my question is this: has anyone come up against this person and what do you do about it? They're dragging their feet so to me they're not interested in joining, and that's okay, but don't blame it on the staff if you either can't read or just don't want to read and join.

It's so frustrating.

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

Sometimes it takes people a lot longer than it should to realize that the site is not for them. Most of the time you don't really hear anything from them, but personally I think that when the person is struggling to understand this, it tends to come out in cognitive complaints "I don't get it", or "It's weird" or "I forgot (for the sixth time)". Who a site attracts is a pretty complex formula but it can take a while for the original attraction of certain elements to abate enough for the player to see that there's some things there that just aren't working for them.

You just sort of do the best that you can and let those who are going to fall by the wayside do so.

Edited by xexes
  • Agree 4

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

I think you've got a fair point there, but it can get frustrating in the early days of a site getting off the ground. Perhaps I'm more acutely aware of perception and it's just driving me a little more batty than it normally would!

FBTAff-4.png

While I kind of agree with Xexes - there is an under category that we have dealt with - as far as Topic New.

They come in and ask questions - often very probative and we do the best we can to find them solutions and make sure they have link to forum information and even discuss races with them ( our lore is fairly user friendly ) And spend an inordinate amount of time in Discord discussing complaining about ( lack of powers)  We have them - this fellow wanted to be God plus have the capability of morphing into GI Joe  with vampire killing helicopters and tanks.  NOW, this sort of thing is not anywhere in our lore - we have limits on age and have lore dedicated to every race in Seattle,  and while we would gently explain this - he became an argumentative 5 day ( literally 12 hrs a day) nightmare in DMS with staff - trying to push the lore into his contraptcion. 

It caused tensions and then when he was not getting anywhere - he took his gripes ot the members in DMS. Lovely!  So he was new- absolutely- and asked questions- BUT he went so much further. We finally had to just get him one on one in DMS and put it blunt. We explained we were not a good fit for his aspirations and that he needed  to find one that would allow him to flourish and fit in towards creating stories.

He did eventually leave. 

I could be wrong but that was a reall good example of how new can also be nightmarish

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

22 minutes ago, DivineRabbit said:

And spend an inordinate amount of time in Discord discussing complaining about ( lack of powers)  We have them - this fellow wanted to be God plus have the capability of morphing into GI Joe  with vampire killing helicopters and tanks. 

1. What in the world does God who can morph into GI Joe look like? I... I can't even comprehend this character design.

2. This person was definitely discussing an idea at first but their complaints always seem to be "I just have to keep reading because the Elf lore has changed again" or some variation and I'm like... but it hasn't. In fact, since our soft opening (we ran lore tests early in the year and clarified things that didn't make sense, etc) the only changes have been to typos or mentions of an old system that was too complicated and that we streamlined. I think we also clarified what wyrms look like in draconic form size wise... but nothing to elves much less that would cause complaints of that level

FBTAff-4.png

• Admin

The best thing I can say is:

WhiteHiddenDiplodocus-size_restricted.gi

Some people WILL be difficult in the beginning and turn out to be great members. Sometimes they don't know that what they are doing is a little obnoxious.

Most of the time though, if you're questioning everything and waffling they will likely disappear. If they are trying to get around a rule (which it sounds like they might be) then they will either try to get around it or move on when you don't change what they want. If they are asking the same question.... its probably because they are looking to get a new answer so that they can take that and run with it.

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

8 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

stuff

Oh god Charlie the Unicorn. Morrigan, you just made my day! I mean I loved your response, but that's all I can think of.

• Love 2

FBTAff-4.png