Medieval RPG Development Interest Check

Agamemnon

For some time now I've been interested in designing an RPG that is more that just pure writing. I want to create a game where the main focus is writing, but the player also has resources to manage. The reason for this being that I played a game similar to this (now defunct) and found it to be very rewarding. Not only did I enjoy myself immensely, my writing skills improved and I actually had a means by which to show improvement and even brag (in a friendly manner) about certain accomplishments. The game I wanted to design is set in a medieval world (of my own design) recovering from a series of natural disasters that nearly wiped it out. As a result there or no major political institutions.

The idea is to set the stage and have the players shape the world. Let them eventually design their own political institutions, try to get along, fight, negotiate or do whatever else they want to (within the rules of course). The problem is I have no one to help me do this and I can't do it all on my own. I do have a lot of information worked out, including the map, but nothing is set in stone as it's still in the design stage if someone wanted to come onboard and help, I would be open to input and new ideas.

Additional Information

• Players would lead a noble house as the world tries to rebuild.
  • There would be resources to track and manage.
  • The game will have a map allowing players to claim land and expand their holdings.
  • Players can build and maintain standing armies.
  • Players can use military forces to invade other players.
  • The game would use the interactive tabletop features of roll20.net (free to use) to host military battles providing online dice and a visual element to battles.
  • No magic, the game revolves around writing, politics and kingdom management.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I am working on a modern day geopolitical site where players can run their own nations, create legislation, build businesses, mine natural resources, etc. In the same boat as you. Doing it myself for now

• 4 weeks later...

Your concept for a game sounds really interesting, the only big issue I see potentially is that writing communities have the luxury of time, but real-time group games played by multiple people at once make it difficult to make progress. I can churn out multiple posts a week to develop my characters' plots on a forum that's strictly writing, but as soon as I mix in having to assemble with people in other time zones to roll dice during big events, it gets harder to make those same developments because maybe my schedule doesn't match up with everyone else's. So my thought is that, as long as you make the system building non-time-sensitive, that all sounds very doable and I'm betting it'll attract a lot of tabletop players.

• 1 month later...

Your idea sounds like an RPG version of the old PC game, Lord of the Realms. That's not a bad thing, Lord of the Realms is a brilliant game and if you could make something similar but as an RPG then you could be onto a winner. Have you thought about creating random tables of events that your players have to react to (peasents uprising, an attempt on the life of the player, random fires in food storage)?

*insert signature here*