Your First Time in the Roleplay World

NyxDarklore

• Admin

AIM chat rooms which evolved to this private Sailor Moon chat room on a service called "French Kiss" though not as dirty as it sounds it was a java based chat room on a Sailor Moon fan site when I was young.

That evolved into two different forms of RP actually.

I used to write stories with my, at the time, BFF involving N*Sync and loads of fantasy stuff of meeting them and rom com shit. It was note based and we would pass it back and forth between classes and add to it as we went. (She was in love with Lance Bass.... which in hindsight is so hilarious now that we all know he's gay. I was into Justin Timberlake.... I also do not regret that I think I still have some of these stories tucked away somewhere.)

The other was forum RP on Avidgamers. I skipped over Neopets really and went straight to Avidgamers. That evolved into IF and all the stuff since. I think I've been personally running my RP sites on IPS since 2007ish.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly, the first RP I found was a forum RP that is still open to this day. I do animal rps and I was googling around for information on my favorite animal and came across a game guide for this roleplay. The concept was so new to me but I also liked making characters and stories, so I was pretty excited! It was a semi-realistic rp but one of it's affiliates was a fantasy based site, which led me down the rabbit hole to what I play now (only fantasy). 

It's a pretty big site and the community was pretty tight-knit, so I had a hard time getting involved. I also struggled with activity back then (being in school and having lots of demands on my time), so that didn't help. The members were friendly enough but I dont feel like I made any real friends or lasting connections there. I look at that time fondly, but I dont remember a single person I met there. 

akadvert-rpgd.png.29201138138b142b94adb2f11d501051.png

• 4 weeks later...

My first rp was in a Mage the Ascension game in High School. a friend thought it would make me less introverted and it did. It was so different. growing up I never played with dolls or any of that didn't play with other kids I was a reader, give me a book, any kind of book and i could get lost in it. I discovered and read all of my dads old paperbaks frome when he was a teenager, conan, lensmen, dune john carte. I was fascinated and so books were where i went. 

But my friend took me to his weekly game they were all older than me and i did know anything about how to play but wow I basically watched and i was facinated here were other teenagers creating what I like to read. I was jooked. 

jump forward about nine years and I didn't have time for wekly get togehters and i had moved and i'm not one for making friends easily. But one of the games we had played a while in school was aberrant and I was looking for any resources to read and found a Play y Post sight and I joined a game there and have been playing by Play by post ever since

i am so confused

• 2 weeks later...

My first role-play experience was... absolutely hilariously bad LMAO

It was on an old Neopets guild, when guilds were still relatively new, called Dragon Knights Destiny. I got turned into the idea of r/p by someone named Unsung, and he taught me a little about how it worked. I don't actually remember anything about my first post or my first character (I was like 9 or 10 years old) but I remember being frowned at by older players because I kept powerplaying/godmodding everywhere and it was. so. bad. XD Unsung finally taught me that was a no-no, and I got other pointers from amazing people the next few months/years and... well, I'm 28 now! It's been a long and happy road.

• 4 weeks later...

My first experience with online RP was due to a friend who asked me if I wanted to join to play their friend. 

But I wasn't new to RP as a general concept at that point. I'd been in several tabletop campaigns and done a fair amount of LARPing - so natural progression I suppose. Didn't need much help getting started as I'd already been writing short stories for competitions. 

So yeah, fairly easy way to slide in like that. 

stubbybanner.png.e4759f47b79305430527a983448ebbff.png

🜂 Home 🜂 Rules 🜂 New Player Guide 🜂 Plot 🜂 Classifieds 🜂 Discord 🜂

• 2 months later...

My first experience with rp was with someone i met on nick.com as a kid. We exchanged emails and began to rp in a Naruto setting we invented together and wrote each other back and fourth. I still remember our characters' names lol. In terms of forums, my first experience was with a Gargoyles forum about 10 years ago that I don't think ever got off the ground. The one thing I remember about it was it was very difficult to look at. The person running the site had set the background as a tiled background. And since I didn't know what I was doing i made a character that didn't really fi the world or narrative for the era that they were playing in,and since interest was low, there didn't seem to be anyone else around to show me the ropes.

The first time I got the full forum experience was in 2012 when I joined an Avatar: The Last Airbender rp site. I had found it through an ad/journal entry on deviantart and had been lured in by the opportunity to roleplay the canon characters in addition to OCs. I learned a lot about the rp community from that site and stuck around because of the friendly community. I've explored other rp communities over the years, but I never left my first site and still rp there today. I still remember the skin on the site was blue when I joined #memories

I've been thinking about this a lot lately actually, because I'm coming up on my 13th anniversary of joining the main site that I spend my time on, and I've been trying to decide if its still something I want in my life. I had thought of it as my first RP experience (its Harry Potter, and I'm not.... even really that much of an HP fan, I just like that the worldbuilding is so vast and there's so much established lore to work with that makes a great backdrop for your own plotting and RPs but I digress), but ACTUALLY? Now that I recall? I faffed about with joining a PBeM dragonriders of pern RP thing when I was in high school, but ultimately I didn't stick it out (and I was probably pretty disappointed that there was not gonna be any chance of my very first ever character to end up with a shiny shiny egg, hah! I didn't know that Mary Sues were a thing, I was just a young teenager who wanted to feel special, okay?). I remember that the player base were, at the time (this must have been 2001-2002 somewhere around there) almost all adults, a lot were 30+ (as I now am!) and in hindsight they had SO MUCH PATIENCE with me even though I didn't ultimately stick around.  

Its strange to think about how much has changed in the RP world in the last 20 years. Even in the last 5 years.  But its cool to think that there are always going to be people interested in collaborative storytelling via whatever medium happens to be available.

I think I was always the kind of person who was MADE for RPing, I was big on imagination games in real life, and I loved writing, so when I discovered there was a way to actually combine those things? Awesome! As an aside, I was also on Neopets but I never RPd there, in fact I was in a guild at one point and they started RPing and I was like uhhhhhh DAS WEIRD and immediately quit. Its wild to think how my RP journey might have been different had I got involved there!