What happens to a character when a player leaves the site?

Anonymous

I could really use some perspective on this. Let me start with saying that I’m a staff member who helps with advertising, but I’m not an admin on the forum to which I am referring. I am purposefully keeping details vague.

After drawn out OOC drama between different players (I was not involved) one player decided to leave. Let’s call her Amy. Amy told the admin that she was leaving because she did not feel this was a good environment for her. From what I saw, the admin tried hard to be neutral and mitigate what she could, but it seemed like a personality clash that was being pulled into IC issues. For example, Amy was refusing to thread with at least three different players. Some of the players felt like the admin was giving in to Amy too much. Etc etc.

Amy returned to the board and began deleting her old posts and replacing them with memes targeted at the admin and other players. The admin went back and deleted these memes and was able to restore the writing (these were threads with partners) and block Amy from accessing the site.

A few of the players left behind had personal plots with their characters and Amy’s, and approached the admin about resolving them. A few said it would make more sense/give the storyline closure if the character were to die. That was decided and the resulting characters have been able to grieve and write out the loss.

Amy has found out about this and began reaching out to the admin and another player on the site to demand her character not be killed because she didn’t give permission. She told the admin this has caused a flare in her mental health issues. The admin apologized for her struggle, but said that this was decided to work best with the remaining storylines and other players. She’s made multiple accounts to rejoin the server and message the admin, said she reported the site, writing about the situation in public forums, etc.

Amy has now found me on another popular RP discussion forum and begun messaging me, telling me to pass on messages to the admin. When I said I wasn’t going to do that, she is now saying that I’m aiding the admin in harming her and what I’m doing is harassment (this is because I told her what she was doing was harassment, to be fair). 

I just don’t know what to say or do. I am truly sorry she is struggling over this, and she’s saying her mental health is keeping her from moving past it. Her expectations (I just found out) were that her character would be said to have left and then never be referred to again. She believes the writing on the site about the other characters reaction to the death is her character being written/played without her consent. I’ve never been on a site that pretended a character ceased to exist, so that’s new for me. I can see how you might not like an OC dying because you care about them, but this fiction after all and she’s no longer on the site. 

I also....don’t want to be involved, if I’m honest. I tried sending her mental health resources when she said she was without them, but that backfired. She turned the phrases I used against me, saying that she was trying to help herself by not letting people take things from her. 

Any help is appreciated. I’m feeling like I can’t even “safely” play on the site myself now that I’m pulled into it.

Anonymous poster hash: a2825...368

Okay let me try - since I actually had something similar in two forums in ( one I admined on- one I was just the resident graphic mouse ) Now they did not do the meme thing- that is truly outrageous IMHO.

First. again this is my personal thing- you cannot kill the character-its wrong. It may not be playable but it was someone creative investment- I would have simply changed the name of the deactivated character ( john doe?) and allow the story to progress or end. Thankfully when it happened we removed all of the posts save the first entry post and allowed other typists to pick it up.

Second the mental issue- it would be awesome if someone could help but most of the time its not going to go that way. If they truly wanted help they would not use good hearted advice as a weapon. They should just leave, remove their charries, rewrite a bit or end the story and move on- while it might suck I have had to do it do to a mentally unstable partner before. I just renamed the historical parts with a different NPC type of thing and moved the hell on- we are writers we can do that. I promise you. 🙂

All you can do at this point is block her avenue of contacting you. Again have had to do this. While you meant well you truly did- this is something I  can completely agree no one wants to be stuck in. Cause it will continue elsewhere. That too is true.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

• Admin

First and foremost, if they are banned they have no right to say what happens to their characters...... HOWEVER, its a really dick move to kill off someones character without their permission.

To me that's like killing off a canon character from a fandom because no one will play them like that player. Stupid and ridiculous. There are a dozen different ways to write off a character being gone and still allow for them to come back. Death is what I consider "an easy out" for those involved because then they don't have to think about that character after their "mourning period". Which is legit stupid because that's not how mourning works. However RPers seem to think that its as easy as taxes (taxes aren't easy mind you).

To me the players need to be more creative in writing them out of their story and walk away. They are legit moronic if they think that the "only way" is death of a character and its worse that they think that something like that doesn't cause duress to a person that can't even voice their opinion on their work.

As for the player.... I agree with @DivineRabbit you can't fix that mess and either block them or be completely direct with them and say "this isn't my mess. I'm happy to talk with you about other things and or possibly joining a site with you, however I can't continue going in circles with you about this site."

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

11 hours ago, DivineRabbit said:

First. again this is my personal thing- you cannot kill the character-its wrong. It may not be playable but it was someone creative investment- I would have simply changed the name of the deactivated character ( john doe?) and allow the story to progress or end. Thankfully when it happened we removed all of the posts save the first entry post and allowed other typists to pick it up.

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn’t make the same decision the admin did to kill the character if it were up to me, but that’s my own personal preference.  

I agree about needing to block the contact. 

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. ❤️

11 hours ago, Morrigan said:

First and foremost, if they are banned they have no right to say what happens to their characters...... HOWEVER, its a really dick move to kill off someones character without their permission.

As for the player.... I agree with @DivineRabbit you can't fix that mess and either block them or be completely direct with them and say "this isn't my mess. I'm happy to talk with you about other things and or possibly joining a site with you, however I can't continue going in circles with you about this site."

Thank you for your reply. I wouldn’t have made the decision to kill the character either, but I do agree someone doesn’t have a say when they’re banned.

And yeah, I’ll have to cut contact. I think this whole situation of being put in the middle is really uncomfortable for me, especially since I have no say in any of it. It’s helpful to be able to write about it here, so thanks for that. 

• Like 1

Based on what you've described and taking into account Amy's behaviour, I think the staff were justified in writing out her characters in the way they saw fit. Ideally, whenever a player has to leave the roleplay (whether they're banned, take an LoA or decide it's not for them anymore) they would inform others about the fates of their characters, but this is the exception more than the rule. If Amy had not retaliated - and depending on the scope of her characters -, it might have been fair to indefinitely take the characters out of play rather than kill them. However, having behaved the way she did, I personally don't feel she should expect to be given the courtesy of not having her characters deleted.

We recently went through a similar situation where a player was banned. Some of the other members had characters and plotlines that were deeply enmeshed with the banned player's, so we gave them a say in how they would like for said plots to be resolved and how did they think the banned member's characters should be written out of the game. In the end the other members' ideas fell very much in line what what staff were planning on doing, and those ideas made sense for all the characters involved (the banned member's included). 

Also, for your own peace of mind, consider blocking her. it doesn't seem as though she would be willing to move past those events in her future interactions with you, and the real world is already stressful enough as it is.

Edited by Liv
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Come and join us in Ancient Rome!

A few of the players left behind had personal plots with their characters and Amy’s, and approached the admin about resolving them. A few said it would make more sense/give the storyline closure if the character were to die. That was decided and the resulting characters have been able to grieve and write out the loss.

I do get that a lot of players can be lazy and unimaginative and that this idea would naturally come up. But for a lot of people to say that it makes sense actually speaks to the character putting themselves in danger and that this is a natural consequence of the character's actions.

demand her character not be killed because she didn’t give permission.

The author absolutely can decide that she doesn't like this. It was her character. But she gave up her rights when she decided to be a troll.

She’s made multiple accounts to rejoin the server and message the admin, said she reported the site, writing about the situation in public forums, etc.

And once again when things don't go her way, this player becomes a troll.

Things not going this person's way is absolutely a theme here, trying to be in control of things that this player isn't in control of.

It kind of sucks to be in the middle of someone else's issues, doesn't it? I would tell her to talk to the other staff on the site and step out of it just as you did.

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

So, usually in this case my main concern is that the banned member can keep their old work. Amy's deleting of that would definitely make me pause, though I think/hope I'd still be respectful of her work even when she wasn't.

She's violating an incredible number of boundaries here. Your killing her character on this site doesn't mean she can never use that character again elsewhere, and honestly I think it's one of the tidier ways to wipe hands of this.

If your site does not normally kill characters? Perhaps you can put her on a bus, or a spaceship, or a vacation she's never heard from again if that would better fit the tone. But that character needs to leave the immediate environment. Keeping them in the narrative is going to keep drawing her back to scratch her own wounds, make more demands, get even more worked up, and take it out on the rest of you.

• Agree 2

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

• 4 months later...

What I would do in a situation such as this would be to have the character move away from the setting of the RP.  IE: The RP is set in Exciting-Town, USA. Jane Doe has a lot of interactions. And then one day, Jane's player just vanishes for whatever reason. Well. We're left with a hole, yeah? IC explanation is that Jane Doe picked up their stuff in the middle of the night and moved to Boringville. That way if the player decides to come back one day, they're able to bring Jane Doe back into the fold. 

However, the level of toxicity that seems to be coming from this Amy is completely unacceptable. Asking to have your work removed from a site is one thing. To come back time and time again in order to antagonize staff and members is just plain wrong. From an outside perspective, it seems like it be time for the staff to do an IP ban of Amy. As for advice to you, as a member, I'd just ignore her. You've done everything within your power, and it hasn't helped, unfortunately. 

• Agree 1

siggy

• 2 weeks later...

As an admin, I feel as though if a player gets banned from a site (and they are surefire never coming back), then it's at the staff's discretion to decide what to do with their characters. If they're in some big plots, then maybe the easiest thing to do is kill off their characters. 

Personally, I don't like killing people's characters. I'd rather have them "assumed" dead or had disappeared, or just simply written out of the story.

Though, if Amy will never, ever write their character on that site again, what's the big deal about that character being killed? 

That doesn't mean the character can't live on in another site or story. Amy has all the options to configure how her character left that scenario and entered a new one without having to even count that they were murdered in another site's plot.

Had your admin not chosen to kill off her characters and instead had them written out of the story in some other way, what's not to say that she wouldn't come back to harass the site about "stealing" her characters or making them do something else without her permission?

To me, Amy just seems like a toxic player with intentions of creating drama and unnecessary strife in communities (who even knows if their mental health issues are actually real, or just thrown in as an excuse to act out of pocket?). Cut all ties, block her where you can, report her to admins where you cannot block, and try to just stay out of the drama.

Situations like these are messy and impossible. You don't owe her anything, so don't feel bad about not answering her or following through with what she's asking at this point. You weren't originally involved, so really it's not your problem 🙂

Edited by Sammiie
adding some in
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, Anon, you're wrapped up in a rough situation. Personally I would consider going no-contact. Amy sounds like a toxic player who has a serious case of main character syndrome and thinks she can get her place back in the game. If you ask her to stop contacting you and she doesn't, I would involve the staff of the second site. No site should be tolerating harassment like that.

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

The other members gave great advice. Going no-contact, for both your health and Amy's, is the best way to go. Though I'm sure you did by now. I just wanted to express my agreement along with the importance of removing obstacles for that girl's personal road to recovery. While I do see her behavior as an unnecessary overreaction - a lot can happen in life, and it only takes one small push to fall off a ledge. Take that batman reference as you will.

Now, onto the meat of the subject. Unlike most of the above, I actually agree with what the staff decided to do. 

Let me tell you why:

• For starters, Amy was already involved in drama with 3 (possibly more) other members. Whether she started it is irrelevant. Involvement in drama takes effort on both sides. Block buttons exist and approaching staff is always an option prior to the drama reaching a boiling point. This tells me that Amy, especially based on later behavior, prefers conflict over resolution.
  • When Amy did decide to leave, I assume (based on the amount of confusion that occurred afterwards) she didn't leave any instructions or wishes for her characters. I personally view forums as AU's. If I leave a forum, my character either moved away...or died. I sometimes view it as the latter based on character traits/personality alone. As some of mine can be rowdy. I don't see choosing Death as an option ICly as inherently wrong due to this specific perspective along with the above.
  • Furthermore, if Amy did leave, she should not have known about the Death. Which means she was either stalking the board, or keeping in contact with members, thus furthering the drama she left the forum for in the first place. Showing a very attention-hungry and toxic mindset with what should have been a resolved issue that she herself could have prevented in two separate instances (first, by approaching staff- and second, by alerting staff of what to do with her characters when she left).
  • Lastly, and most importantly, at the end of the day anyone that deeply triggered over a character dying on a site they don't plan on returning too has more to figure out than some minor hurt feelings over how the character was handled. I don't think the staff are at fault here, since they seemed to have been as out of the loop as we were. And that's just how it goes sometimes.

In a perfect world, this will be used as a lesson for staff [and others] to implement in their rules that a member has to tell a staff member what happens to their Character if they leave. If they do not, the staff do as they see fit without objection. If there's a server involved, adding a little checkmark box to accept and agree to the rules officially before even being able to write and interact within the server would be golden.  I don't personally feel this is necessary, but it might quell all of the complaints stating that just because it's her character she chooses what's done with it. I feel like that right is given away when you don't take the time to choose. As at the end of the day, the character will always be yours - but how the setting treats an empty husk is up to the staff team. Can't blame that on anyone but the player in that case.

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 9:40 PM, Anonymous said:

I could really use some perspective on this. Let me start with saying that I’m a staff member who helps with advertising, but I’m not an admin on the forum to which I am referring. I am purposefully keeping details vague.

After drawn out OOC drama between different players (I was not involved) one player decided to leave. Let’s call her Amy. Amy told the admin that she was leaving because she did not feel this was a good environment for her. From what I saw, the admin tried hard to be neutral and mitigate what she could, but it seemed like a personality clash that was being pulled into IC issues. For example, Amy was refusing to thread with at least three different players. Some of the players felt like the admin was giving in to Amy too much. Etc etc.

Amy returned to the board and began deleting her old posts and replacing them with memes targeted at the admin and other players. The admin went back and deleted these memes and was able to restore the writing (these were threads with partners) and block Amy from accessing the site.

Amy has found out about this and began reaching out to the admin and another player on the site to demand her character not be killed because she didn’t give permission. She told the admin this has caused a flare in her mental health issues. The admin apologized for her struggle, but said that this was decided to work best with the remaining storylines and other players. She’s made multiple accounts to rejoin the server and message the admin, said she reported the site, writing about the situation in public forums, etc.

Amy has now found me on another popular RP discussion forum and begun messaging me, telling me to pass on messages to the admin. When I said I wasn’t going to do that, she is now saying that I’m aiding the admin in harming her and what I’m doing is harassment (this is because I told her what she was doing was harassment, to be fair). 

I just don’t know what to say or do. I am truly sorry she is struggling over this, and she’s saying her mental health is keeping her from moving past it. Her expectations (I just found out) were that her character would be said to have left and then never be referred to again. She believes the writing on the site about the other characters reaction to the death is her character being written/played without her consent. I’ve never been on a site that pretended a character ceased to exist, so that’s new for me. I can see how you might not like an OC dying because you care about them, but this fiction after all and she’s no longer on the site. 

I also....don’t want to be involved, if I’m honest. I tried sending her mental health resources when she said she was without them, but that backfired. She turned the phrases I used against me, saying that she was trying to help herself by not letting people take things from her. 

Any help is appreciated. I’m feeling like I can’t even “safely” play on the site myself now that I’m pulled into it.

Usually, we just archive them- it's really up to the writers to figure out an 'exit' for that character in the way of brining up stuff. Most people, at least in my experience as an Admin, just pretend the character wasn't there and moves on without much of a comment. Some prefer to weave it into the story but from an admin perspective, we just archive and move on- mainly because A: They aren't our character[s] B: Sometimes that writer will come back and may want to pick that character back up again. 

Edited by Untold Tales

Don't ever let yourself be a third wheel when it comes to members and staff.

Doing this will only drag you down and could affect your own stance with that staff and site itself. If there is something going on between a member, past member or whatever and the staff on the site that it is something that is between them and not you. I believe they have to stand up for themselves and if they can't do it then don't drag other people into it.

Not everyone is going to fit in where they are and what not. If that is the case then it wasn't meant to be and its properly better for you to draw a line and cut ties for your own mental health. Situations like this could easily become toxic and could begin to affect how you view and interact with other players as well and that is not fair to you. Nor is it fair if the staff start to look at you differently because if your association with that other player because they kept dragging you into the drama.

You are just better going stepping away from it and as other have said, it is their mess and they need to clean it up not you.

Its a complicated thing.