Forum Nesting Levels

Arceus

Just a quick curiosity question for those that run their own sites; roughly how many levels of sub-forum do you use? I need to know for science.

If you use more than one level of sub-forum, I'd be interested to know why if you're willing to explain! c: I've personally never had any usage for more than one level of sub-forum so I'm curious what reasons someone may have to do so.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I literally have only one subforum at the moment on mine. And I plan to never go more than one level deep. Ie, no subforums of subforums. Subforum-ception is a nightmare. 

lofnsliplogo.png.7a58409350c0c952ed23ab6d914f3781.png

• Admin

I learned from "How to make your forum look inactive" to have as few forums as possible.

Also, UI wise its garbage to have people click twice to get to their destination. So first level subforums are as deep as I go. Its not organization IMO.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I use one level only and the top forum allows for you to see the subforums so you can one click from there straight into whichever you are wanting to post in.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

Just one. From an organizational/type a perspective I would LOVE to do more, but for user-friendliness, that's really all it should be!

IKiE2z.png

It depends. I have gone the sub of a sub route once or twice before, but in general I stick to just forum and sub forum. It is helpful when you’re using a grid based theme and don’t want a messy list of subs, for example, if you have a lot or have forums per player. 

Reality is an illusion. 

too many forums look like inactivity, so I'm not a fan of having an additional sub-level. Also, over-organization doesn't help me with my stuff, and sometimes I forget where things are lmao. It's easier if there's just one level.

If I MUST, I go down one level. If I feel like more is needed then I probably need to condense and simplify my expectations. My head hurts a little just thinking of arranging forums beyond that tier. 

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 2 weeks later...

I only use 1 level in my subforums for the most part. I'll use 2 if the board needs it to keep something separate (like a "Closed" subboard for closed tickets).

But I try to keep things one level down and I'll re-organize if it means going much deeper than that.

We're 1 deep over on Witchlight. Territories -> Provinces. I guess we could get real technical and break down to Territories-> Provinces-> Districts but that seems like work and I'm work adverse.

88x31buttondandy.png

I think the most I've ever gone is... two deep, I guess? My brain isn't wording good right now, but something like Member Services -> Away Messages -> Away Archives. For some stuff, having that second layer is handy though I don't think I've ever used it for anything but an archives situation and even then only because my co-admin insisted on it. Any deeper than that, though, and its completely in the void and just poofs from existence.

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

• 4 weeks later...

Forums that are to be used by members on a frequent basis, I limit to a maximum of one level of sub-forums.

Archive forums go to about two levels of sub-forums.

Staff forums I go completely mad and not even I know how many levels of sub-forums exist for them.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

The group I help run has several realms, and locations within them.  We have...at most I think 2, maybe 3 at the most for subforums.  But some of those are for specific locations for RP to stay organized in.  In addition, we have a huge building the secret society is run from, so we have the various levels to keep the forums more organized and make it easier to determine where someone is within the building instead of a mess of threads in one forum.  So far, they have not been super confusing, as we have added things to make people's lives easier.  In addition, our skin is being coded by the other admin, and has hidden much of the 'overwhelming' look of forums with a ton of subforums all just bam on the first page.  Many things are click though, and have nice images and descriptions to help the members.

All in all, I think it just depends on what you have going for your group content wise, and just want you want to manage as the admin/owner.  I personally love how our forums look/click through, but I can understand it might not be for all.

Co-Founder|Adminspacer.png - Multiparagraph RPer/freeform writer - Genre Preference - DARK like my heart....Bwahaha