Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of the Awakened

Greetings,

I'd love a review please. Since my site is just opening up for forum RP, I want to make sure I'm not actually scaring people away with horrid design decisions, inaccessibility, or by getting people lost. Thanks in advance!

https://legendsofnorova.com

lofnsliplogo.png.7a58409350c0c952ed23ab6d914f3781.png

• 3 weeks later...

In Brief:
✔ I like that most links for information relevant to characters can be found in the Encyclopedia dropdown.
✖ It appears as if you have one forum for all roleplaying; at first it looked like there was no roleplaying forums visible at all.
✖ The skin looks very much like a default skin with a background attached; it tells me nothing about the site genre, etc.
✖ Looking at the site, there is nothing to hint at what the site is about. There's no summary or introduction, etc.
✖ The rules should not only be at the top of your links list, but shouldn't be so nested; they can be easily overlooked.
✖ You have a lot of rules; things like dice rolling, conditions, etc. are not rules, they are mechanics, and should be in their own place.

Overall:
I prefer to give constructive criticism and not be overly negative in reviews, so I hope this comes across as such. Looking over your site, the main impression I got was that it was incomplete. Reading through the information, I still have no idea what the site is about except that it is a tabletop rpg in forum form set in the world of Nor'Ova. There is nothing selling the site to me.

I am a person who likes a lot of lore but how nested your information is, while organised, and how much of it there is to read left me needing to step away from my computer; it was an information overload that I think could be a negative for anyone looking to join the site. You don't want an information dump to get started on a forum.

First of all, I would suggest removing some of the nesting of information. Clicking on 'Gameplay Rules' should take me to a single page of rules, a basic overview of the conduct expected. Information about dice rolling, etc. should not be in the rules, it should have its own mechanics page so that it is not an information overload. Rules should be restricted to conduct; let people determine if the community is one they want before reading up on how things work.

Second of all, I would suggest adding more places to roleplay. It's not obvious where a thread is taking place in the world if it's all in a single forum and that can be somewhat confusing. Where exactly am I allowed to go? Where does it make sense for my character to be? Where is that place in relation to where I'm coming from.

I think what you have here is a good start, but even as someone who has no issues reading a lot of information in its current state, I have to say it's a little bit intimidating to join (and I play D&D and have read the source books for both 3.5e and 5e).

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your in depth review Rowena!

Reading your review I can see there is some things I need to figure out lol. 

It appears as if you have one forum for all roleplaying; at first it looked like there was no roleplaying forums visible at all.

Aye I do. I thought I had read somewhere once that it was better to start small and grow, instead of having lots of forums that could be empty. Since I don't have a lot of posting members yet, I thought I'd start with just a global RP forum, and split it up into regional forums as we grew. It seems though that in doing so I'm still shooting myself in my foot lol. Maybe I should start with a couple areas?

✖ The skin looks very much like a default skin with a background attached; it tells me nothing about the site genre, etc.

LOL it is. It is a re-coloration of the default theme, with some css edits and the like, and some small template edits. I'm admittedly lacking in that skillset, guilty as charged. I'll try to figure out a way to incorporate more of the site "theme" into the theme.

✖ Looking at the site, there is nothing to hint at what the site is about. There's no summary or introduction, etc.

There is.... but you are right in that it isn't evident. I have links for it that appear in the top member box, but they won't show for some reason for guests... I am working on that though.

✖ The rules should not only be at the top of your links list, but shouldn't be so nested; they can be easily overlooked.

I think this and what you wrote later showcases perhaps the largest issue I have that I didn't even think about, so thankyou! You see, I first created the site for my tabletop game. Then when I got that finished, I missed the old days and fun I had with forum RP, so I opened a forum RP on the site. The forum RP is actually freeform lol, but the info in the wiki still works well for the RP. That said, the rules you read deal with only the tabletop game. There's a link at the bottom for site rules, and a post in the OOC forum for forum RP rules. It is obvious that this is confusing so I need to fix it :).

So again, thanks! I will be looking at how to address these issues, and as always I appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter!

• Like 1

lofnsliplogo.png.7a58409350c0c952ed23ab6d914f3781.png

9 hours ago, mythus said:

Thank you so much for your in depth review Rowena!

You're more than welcome. Running a forum is always going to be about learning, growing, and developing; it's as much marketing as it is lore/world-building and so much more. I think you've got a great start, and I can see it clearly started out as a tabletop based game. You'll get there; you'll make mistakes, you'll learn, but you'll get there. I really do wish your site all the best going forward!