Open threads or Closed threads

Morrigan

An old thread but a snazzy concept.

I actually love open threads and find them to be perfect for establishing unexpected character dynamics. I feel that if someone doesn't like open threads they have the option to avoid them (and the site itself)...so I don't have a problem with them or those that dislike them personally, but I also feel like it's important as a writer and roleplayer to be adaptable, and open threads are a perfect way to exercise that skill.

The only downfall is that due to the unexpected nature of them, they can be difficult to plot around, and thus are most useful as a side-story plot point over a main event unless something specific happens to put it into that main timeline. Something being side-work might be a turn-off for others though, so I can see why they'd be avoided for that reason as well.

Edited by Hysteria

I liked a mix of open threads and closed threads. Those open, though, on my sites, were open for lots of characters and NPCs, because they were, mostly, public holidays, parties, battles, etc - and they used to be open for whole factions (all those who had a reason to be there).

I make both as I find with newer members open threads gives them a place to start. We try to always have some open threads around especially since we are player driven as opposed to having a lot of lore.

But also I do a lot of closed threads with specific people who are helping me with relationships or some development for my or their characters.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)