Open threads or Closed threads

Morrigan

• Admin

I'm working on a site that generally all places will be open access. Which means by all means anyone can stumble into on onto other people at any given time. Have you ever been a part of a site that allows anyone to be a part of any thread? How would you react to being on a site where anyone can crash your thread?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

The majority of threads on our site are open, and people can join for any remotely plausible reason. For the most part, our members still ask the thread starter if they can hop in, and unannounced cameos only happen in comedy/crack threads. Even given that level of freedom, people don't generally stray from accepted RP etiquette.

There did used to be a particular player a long time ago who used the open thread policy to butt into threads where it looked like there might be a ship developing to try and ruin or derail it, because she felt she was the only person entitled to ships on the board, but a single trash member in a 6 year run isn't bad, and wouldn't put me off joining other open thread sites.

• Like 2

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png

with the rp I run, I tried to set it up as an all open place, where discord channels serve as locations not threads.  gradually however players got cautious about crashing others interactions, even despite trying to assure people that its ok to do that, in any public-centered spaces. All Open is great to establish initial connections between players, but eventually people seem to want to go private or to respect others space more.

Honestly our place is open or closed depending on the typist. If a few typists are working on a thread that has great probative means to each of their charries and they close it- I think that is fine.

I dont mind party crashers if I start a new open thread-  HOWEVER- I also post a limit to gate crashers to keep the flow of the thread.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

• Admin

In my particular use case most areas are free play so a crash should be eminent and expected. Its not like people assume someone is having a personal conversation on deck B. I'm more looking for feedback on how you feel about that option. Not whether or not you personally allow it, that would be more for management. I'm looking for a player version of this.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

hmm - Well as a player I like closed threads if myself and another typist are working on something that is probative in the story of one of the other. Where its a controlled story and worked out with us.

I also like to gate crash open threads to see what happens and what awesome story thread could come from it. But I also check with the typists if its okay if I crash it

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

I don't mind it as a player so long as there's some kind of communication about it. I'm usually the type to say "sure, go for it" for most thread, but there are some that might have a plan about them which makes someone crashing it wreck the idea. I'm used to having most threads classed as open, but for a limited few putting [invite only] or [closed to @name] so that i'm not happy to accept random hopping. 

Most people usually ask about hopping into threads rather than just hop in but that's because one of the current writers might have a reply already being written, and someone just jumping in without warning might cause them to post at the similar time and have to edit, or have to edit their finished post before sending it because the new person changed the context.

However...some threads work better with random encounters and hopping into threads such as missions when led by the staff members or member in charge of running the mission. I was on charmed sites eons back....sometimes demons could hop into a thread to attack the witch characters. That was fun, but i also was made aware it could happen if you weren't in personal forum areas or you could ask the staff to throw an npc at you in a request thread. Those can be useful and you never know when in the thread npc jumps could happen...just you asked them to. 

• Love 1

spacer.png

I have not been on a site with such a system. Generally, the sites I have been on operate under the assumption that threads are open, but if you tag a thread as closed, it will be treated as closed.  Personally, I prefer closed threads as I tend to preferred structured threads opposed to unplanned ones.

However, if I were considering joining a site with an open-only policy, for as long as the setting and site interests me, it would not stop me from joining.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

• 3 weeks later...

I think that looking at it as a player it depends on what I want to get out of the thread. If it's an interaction I might not normally have between one of my characters and someone else's, then I'm all for Open threads. I've found some of the most satisfying future plotting have come from Open thread interactions that I would have never thought of. I still do Closed threads of course, or partially closed, but Open threads often have a soft spot in my heart. It's not a deal breaker for me as a player.

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

I play in an environment where we have a mix of these types of threads with closed, or limited open.  It can get chaotic and overwhelming, sometimes, to have completely open threads that anyone can go into and such.  But it can also be a great way to give people opportunities to create connections.  I think having closed threads is important to me, as a player, just because there are certainly times that others wouldn't really be able to barge into randomly without chatting with the thread starter.

This concept is certainly a good one, and I could see so many interesting connections and drama that emerged from interactions due to this sort of system.  I can also say, it wouldn't fully appeal to me for everything. But I would certainly give it a shot before fully deciding, as again, the concept does appeal to me on some levels. lol

Co-Founder|Adminspacer.png - Multiparagraph RPer/freeform writer - Genre Preference - DARK like my heart....Bwahaha

It really depends on the thread and what's trying to be done there. If it's something more or less pre-planned between two players and they don't want any interruptions from outside players then a closed thread is quite helpful. But an open thread is good for helping you be more flexible with open-ended interactions with anyone who's willing and able to partake in said open thread.

I like the chaos. If I could do every thread as an open thread, I would.

That said, I'd rather know someone doesn't want their thread bombed than end up ruining someone's fun, so a system of tagged open/closed (or open with certain criteria) threads tends to work best for me.

• Agree 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

• 2 weeks later...

I've never joined a site where most/all of the threads were open, but that sounds like fascinating chaos to me. I tend to do threads with just one other person though, that feels manageable to me. The chaos of a bunch of people in one thread sounds really intriguing, but I might find it overwhelming!

spacer.png

SITE BUZZ | DISCORD
OPENING 24 OCTOBER

• 5 months later...

I've never been on a site like this but I love the concept? I wish more people crashed my threats to be honest. I feel like as long as everyone's on the same page, it should be alright!

• Fuck Yeah! 1

spacer.png

home | info | wanted ads 

I know this might be an older topic, but I'd honestly be too uncomfortable being on a site where anyone can crash my threads. 

• Like 1

1388779713_Tamnera.png.43d9196b9e1ead95cbfcda92b755a4a5.png

Tam'nýer—a' is an 18+ Premium Jcink Original Fantasy World

Operated for 3 Years - LGBTQIA+ Friendly - POC Friendly - 3|3|3 Rated

Custom Races, Original Flora and Fauna, Lore and Story Driven