Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Merwin Project

Hello!

I recently rebooted a site that I've worked on for a long time, and would like some feedback. Just general feedback/first impressions and anything you look for when joining a new site. I'd just like to know that the changes I've made are good changes and would love any suggestions for anything we can improve on 🙂

Link: https://themerwinproject.boards.net/

Edited by tiffamu

In Brief:
✔ Information on what the site is about is concise and tells me exactly what I want to know in order to determine if the community is for me.
✔ Plot overview in the header is a nice overview, I would suggest probably shrinking it slightly to be more of a summary though.
✔ Rules are pretty straight forward, if a little bit over-explained, but they get the point across and are not too restrictive.
✔ Accessing information is very easy and the layout of the site itself is relatively user friendly.
✖ On a similar note, however, the layout does look cluttered and overly busy/messy; it also doesn't tell me what the site is about without reading.
✖ Images on your main page (hosted on imgur) have been deleted; this makes the site look inactive/dead. I would advise using nickpic or similar.
✖ There is a lot of information in your header before even getting to the forums themselves; it is a little bit overwhelming.
✖ The chatboxes, etc down the bottom of the site are unnecessarily large; you can easily shrink them to limit loading time.

Overall:
Broadly speaking, I think that what you've got is a fairly standard site; there is nothing wrong with that, the format works for a reason. Everything is relatively easy to find, it's fairly obvious up front if it's the site for a person looking at it.

For me, a lot of the issues (that would be a barrier to joining) stem from the fact that it is overly cluttered and busy looking. There's a lot going on in the header, the footer is huge, and images are deleted. I would start by cutting down on the links in the header (what ones are most important?) and leaving out staff roles that don't exist yet (maybe just have a 'apply here for staff' link).

Beyond that, though, I think you've got a lot of positive things here and I think for those interested in the genre, your story is very interesting. One thing I would advise (speaking from experience), however, is making sure that mandatory reading is clearly marked. You have a lot of lore that can be perceived as 'I need to read all of this before joining' which doesn't seem to be necessary upon careful inspection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 2:43 AM, Rowena Ravenclaw said:

In Brief:
✔ Information on what the site is about is concise and tells me exactly what I want to know in order to determine if the community is for me.
✔ Plot overview in the header is a nice overview, I would suggest probably shrinking it slightly to be more of a summary though.
✔ Rules are pretty straight forward, if a little bit over-explained, but they get the point across and are not too restrictive.
✔ Accessing information is very easy and the layout of the site itself is relatively user friendly.
✖ On a similar note, however, the layout does look cluttered and overly busy/messy; it also doesn't tell me what the site is about without reading.
✖ Images on your main page (hosted on imgur) have been deleted; this makes the site look inactive/dead. I would advise using nickpic or similar.
✖ There is a lot of information in your header before even getting to the forums themselves; it is a little bit overwhelming.
✖ The chatboxes, etc down the bottom of the site are unnecessarily large; you can easily shrink them to limit loading time.

Overall:
Broadly speaking, I think that what you've got is a fairly standard site; there is nothing wrong with that, the format works for a reason. Everything is relatively easy to find, it's fairly obvious up front if it's the site for a person looking at it.

For me, a lot of the issues (that would be a barrier to joining) stem from the fact that it is overly cluttered and busy looking. There's a lot going on in the header, the footer is huge, and images are deleted. I would start by cutting down on the links in the header (what ones are most important?) and leaving out staff roles that don't exist yet (maybe just have a 'apply here for staff' link).

Beyond that, though, I think you've got a lot of positive things here and I think for those interested in the genre, your story is very interesting. One thing I would advise (speaking from experience), however, is making sure that mandatory reading is clearly marked. You have a lot of lore that can be perceived as 'I need to read all of this before joining' which doesn't seem to be necessary upon careful inspection.

Thank you for the review! I just recently found out that I can actually host images through Proboards itself rather than using Imgur like I had before, and I'm still working on replacing the images since for some reason they don't show up as broken for me until like days later. They should be fixed now. I'll look into some of the other things you suggested and see what we want to change and update.

Thanks again 🙂