Do the admins starting characters have an affect of you joining?

Anonymous

Huh, I don't think I've ever even thought to check for the admins' characters specifically. I do scope out the general vibe/what sorts of characters people overall are playing. (This is of course assuming the lore/setting/whatever is already appealing to me, or at least appealing enough for me to have gotten that far.) In the same way I scope out the most recent activity and try to get a general feel for the site before I think about joining--I don't want to waste anyone's time if it's not going to be a good fit for me. I suppose if a site is new/small (which, a lot of sites I like are small) I end up looking at their characters, anyway! But not BECAUSE they're the admins' PCs, unless there's something REALLY weird/bad about the energy I'm getting off of the site.  Then I might check to see if I'm off-base and try to get a general idea of the admins/staff... 

OrielBannerBigger.png.a2ce06c92c5f48951844c258d418d92a.png

A Gilded Age 18+ Original Fantasy RPG

Site | Lore | RulesGetting Started | Discord

I want to say yes? But here's why. If you have a whole family played out amongst two staff members who have a relationship outside of the roleplay environment and aren't open to other people becoming part of that family or even allowing people to plot with those family members, at that point, I just think the staff need to play that family out (as well as any other people they wish) on a private forum, rather than a public forum where the expectation is that the community and its members are inclusive.

I don't typically look specifically at the staffs characters prior to joining a site. Usually, I will look at the recent topics and glimpse over those recent roleplays to get a feel of what sort of cast is currently on the board. If something about the current available cast ends up giving me an unfavorable opinion then I would decide not to join and continue my search.

Although, there have been times where I'll look over the staffs characters after I've joined for plotting purposes only to then realize that the group as a whole tend to play a personality type or genre that I really don't feel comfortable with, and admittedly that kind of oversight on my part can be very frustrating.

AFF1.gif