Do you prefer to write a specific gender?

Grimscythe

Do you prefer to write a specific gender?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't have a gender preference as much as I have a sexuality preference. I do tend to play more masculine characters usually, but I try to keep a ratio of 1:1 on sites I play on. I'm pretty comfortable with playing any gender. Though, as a trans person I prefer to play cis people...just to kind of give myself a break of being a trans person, honestly. I do have a strong sexuality preference - all of my characters are queer in some way. I don't ever play straight characters. Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

spacer.png

SITE BUZZ | DISCORD
OPENING 24 OCTOBER

I only play female charcters as I don't think I have a handle on how a male thinks. but i do have to write as a male when running games for the npcs. I don't think i do a good job but everyone i play says i do fine. so I don't know but for a character it would just feel odd to me to play a male. lol

i am so confused

I'm female, and when I LARP or play DnD, I also play female - but I usually gravitate towards male characters in my writing. For whatever reason, the females just don't resonate with me as well, and I struggle with muse on nearly every female character I've ever tried to write. I've never written a nonbinary or genderqueer character, just because I don't want to inadvertently insult anyone who identifies as such - I just don't feel like I have the personal experience to truly develop a character like that, and I feel like that lack of confidence would show through in my writing.

speaking as someone who plays wlw: yes, i do have a bias, and yes, it does impact plotting. odds are if there's LGBT plots on the site, it's entirely GB (and the B is only men) and the L and T are forgotten. it's not that i need romance, but being told "you have zero chances of playing a wlw romance on this site" is pretty much a deal breaker for me now. if everyone else gets their romance plots, why can't I?

I'm not sure why I've always felt more comfortable playing/writing men than I have women! I think for a long time it was more down to confidence in writing women, possibly because it took me a long time to come to terms with my own gender identity so I didn't feel like I could do a woman justice because I didn't feel very feminine. Over the last few years as I've become more comfortable in my identity (Fluid- but go by she/her) I've been able to write women more often. Maybe even more so as I've become an adult and began to interact with a whole variety of women in my real life, so I've been able to write more interesting characters. 

Definitely didn't write my first female until I was at least ten years into the game though! 

I've been on sites that only let you write on a 1:1 ratio.  I write women better.... it's what I'm more comfortable with and what I have more ideas for so I make sure not to have that on my sites.  Our ratio counts even out fairly naturally.  We don't really have skewed numbers.  

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

For my main characters, I generally prefer writing female characters.

However, I also enjoy running storylines, of which many portray males characters, so it mostly depends on the circumstances for me.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

• 3 weeks later...

I also tend to write more male characters than female. I'm not sure why, but most of my attempts at a female character end up museless and dropped. I've only had a couple female characters that I was able to really connect with and play. 

akadvert-rpgd.png.29201138138b142b94adb2f11d501051.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 3:18 PM, Jacob said:

I prefer writing male characters, though mine are always "nice guys" in the positive sense.  

same lol! i've only recently started having more stern/serious characters though i think that's honestly more a product of me consuming different media and getting older.

i noticed that a lot of my boys had a very "goku" or "simba" feel to them, and the few others i've played outside of that realm i always lacked the confidence personally to do them any justice so they always felt forced.

i def prefer to write males despite being a female. i've always been very tomboyish and used to have a lot of negative experiences with girls in my school to the point where i was like "meh...no thanks." only in lion rp's where all the fun stuff is designated to males only did i ever feel like i had to choose a specific gender to get anywhere, but considering i liked playing boys already XD

nowadays i'll play anything and my boys/girls are very diversified, but i still prefer myboys.

The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

I started out writing on female (I'm female), but then a friend asked me to write a male antagonist to her female protagonist and I decided to give it a shot.  Now, I write mostly male but still continue to write females. I prefer my males to be queer in some way, maybe I just like to keep my options open but I really love writing m/m the most now.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

• 1 month later...

It's not so much personal preference as it is the fact that I tend to write against people who play male characters predominately. So I end up playing female characters more often that not. 

When I was younger (back when I first started RPing) I definitely had a female preference for my characters, as that's what I am in real life. So it was just easier for me, I thought. Having grown both in years and intellect since then, I've realized that there's no reason that I can't do both male and female characters. 

The struggle, again, is that most of my partners tend to lean towards male heavy rosters, so I play females fairly often to balance them out. XD

siggy

i tend to have an okay blend of genders for my characters. i think female character sadly can start to fall into stereotypes more easily than male characters. i experience this in novels and literature as well so i don't think it is just a roleplay thing. Most sites I have played on tend to have more people that write male characters. i personally enjoy writing male characters and female characters, but i feel more pressure to make my female characters thought out better/more fleshed out? 

NSD_affiliate_1.png

NSD - Never Say Die

an original, stylized, nonrealistic animal rp

I am female but somehow find it harder to play a woman-presenting character. As mentioned above, it seems like there are so many roles played already, I am a bit worried of falling into a trap and making a character hard to interact with, or that only feels like a parody of a woman 😄

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

I tend to write males most often. For awhile because I did a lot of my writing 1:1 and my partners wanted me to play the male end. Now in a group setting there are others who write males, but I am still stuck in that 'mostly man' mentality. Mostly due to my own insecurities probably. Sometimes I think I dream up and app as many females as I do males, but if I can't find any sort of plots to get them into, and nobody joins the ones I start, they tend to feel useless, or like I'm doing it badly, even though that's silly. I write a variety of different types of women just the same as I write a variety of men. Plots with my ladies seem to fizzle out, get dropped, or go months and months between replies when people are replying more regularly to plots with my men. I am fond of writing lesbian characters, but I worry about apping them outside of want ads with at least some connection. I've found trouble even getting their siblings to thread with them in the past! Not entirely hopeless though, I have a couple ladies in play with plots and great people to write with. It's just about a 1/10 ratio of female/male in my stack lol.