Do you prefer to write a specific gender?

Grimscythe

Do you prefer to write a specific gender?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my early days, I definitely wrote both probably equally in my early days. It gravitated toward men only but now it's primarily women and nonbinary characters, lmao.

WORST IN ME - retro powered site set in 1991

In spite of being a woman, I do prefer writing men. I don't know why, I just kinda gravitate more towards male experiences.

Insert an egg joke here.

My main I've had for years changes between a male and female form and I think that sums up my preference lol. 

I do tend to write primarily male characters but I have quite a handful of female ones as well. Usually when I make a roleplay character I think about their personality and what that will look like in motion. For example I made a magician character recently and after making their personality I wanted them to have movements that would he more easily illustrated by a male body type. 

Generally gender is one of the traits I decide on last but both have their pros and cons!

• Preach it! 1

Valon

• 2 weeks later...

I lean towards women, but certainly have no qualms about writing men either. At present, I have both active. 

Do I have a preference? Mm, I'll always have more ideas for women but I gotta admit, when I do create a guy, I'm always super happy with the product. I never feel like I've failed at it or haven't succeeded in doing what I had initially set out to do - which is what I find occasionally happens with women. 

Do I ever feel pressured to write one or the other? I don't feel pressured, and won't be pressured into anything these days. I think it's important that you write what you want to write, and that you feel comfortable doing so. It's why I'm not a fan of ratio graphs on boards... that tell you how many women there are vs. men. I don't think it should matter. 

But side bar to this, I do find it interesting the difference in plots and interest. My men find ships quickly (offered whether I'm looking or not), my women don't - even if I an openly looking. Now I write some hard to love, problematic women but they're not walking red flags like my men tend to be. Everyone wants a white knight, and never a warrioress. 

As for non-binary... It's not that I won't write them, it's that I don't feel confident in my knowledge to do a respectable job of it. And I would feel terrible if I somehow made a mess of it. I'm also incredibly aware of the 'fad' that sites have made out of Minority and LGBTQIA+ slogans. And I just.. yeah. I'll leave it to my members who know what they're doing ❤️ 

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png

• 2 weeks later...

I primarily write females, and males only sometimes. For my males I have to have an idea already in my head in order for me to have the muse to write them. For my women it's a bit easier to create them but when I do make my guys, they tend to have a meatier story behind them

Exclusively play male characters. I'm a man, so playing one just comes naturally to me. I've tried to branch out to women and other recognized genders but.... well... tumblr. Back in 2013 I had to flew Jcink like a cheetah chasing down its dinner due to a situation that was heavily affecting my mental health in a bad way. I landed in tumblrland. Basically when I tried to play another other than a male I was basically told to 'sit down and shut up' I couldn't play that gender as I was a man and would never know what it was like. Then later be yelled at for not playing a woman or other gender because I'm clearly phobic this and 'ist' that. Then that cycle would just repeat itself for the seven years I was on there. 

Apparently I was only allowed to play light skinned, bisexual, latino men since that is what I am. But if I did that and 'stuck in my lane' as I was told to do, I'd be yelled at for only playing that over there.

I prefer writing as a guy or guy presenting since I enjoy the male form. That doesn't mean I won't write for females!

"Let's think positive!" - Maya Amano, Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Ha, I used to HATE writing males. Not because I found them distasteful to right, but it was always hard for me to get into the mindset of one. Then when I started doing more roleplaying and dungeons & dragons, I began to play them much more frequently than females. And that's when I started my transition between the two. I'd like to think I have a balance, but I've noticed my lean towards writing males now. 

image.png.3a859e48ffdbcdaed578143d71b70bcc.png

Site | Guidebook Discord
No experience required

Guest Anonymous

Personally, I prefer female- I never was able to write a good male. As far as face claims, I just usually browse google till I find one I like or I am drawn to. 

I am sure that some people do, but I have found that I can write either male or female.

I think it comes down to the structure of the character itself that you are writing about. There has been times where I have taken up a male character and the way the profile and plot has been designed that it is very easy to portray them verses others I had to drop because it had been so hard to handle. This also goes for females. I don't find any barriers with the gender of my character as much as I do with the design of them.

Its a complicated thing.

• 5 months later...

I've never felt forced to write a particular gender, thankfully. But most of my characters have been male - probably something like two thirds or more? I didn't reflect on it much when I was younger, but at some point it became obvious to me. It's just what I'm most comfortable with.

One of my current characters is a woman, designed to specifically be like the opposite of all that I normally play. xD It's fun, even if I'm not super active with her.

KOTOLL - 18+ urban fantasy

icon.png.bd65e891ade50e02b038ea5f48741a26.png

Home | Discord

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I like writing both, but even though I'm a dude I tend to gravitate towards more women than men. I feel like there's a lot of fun stories to tell there that I don't get to be part of. That and women have cuter costumes and stuff in TV shows or movies and the like when it's time to pick a face, I'm usually more able to find the vibe I want. I'm perfectly comfortable writing either but out of a random sample of characters I'm playing I'm more likely to be playing women than men. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't stay in-gender!

Edited by Nacho

fa3E7jF.gifaffiliate.jpgLight-and-Life.gif

I'm non-binary but AFAB and I have no preference. 8D

However, I don't make a conscious effort to keep a balance or anything, so the gender ratios swing all over the place.

A few years ago, my roster was VERY dude-heavy with very few women. Then I got frustrated because I wasn't really seeing the women I wanted to see in media so I made it a personal mission to make them myself. As a result, now most of my roster is women with a few men and a few non-binary characters tossed in. xD Oops! But I don't actually care. There are TONS of male characters everywhere and people do seem to have a preference for writing them, so I really like playing off-beat ladies. At least on my own games, I haven't faced any difficulty getting tons of plots and threads for them all, even my most unloveable. (Actually, ESPECIALLY my most unloveable, lmfao.)

When I make characters, their gender is pretty much the last thing I decide. Sometimes, I decide their gender while I'm literally writing their first post. I tend to make personalities first, and then gender and appearance later. Now, a character's gender definitely informs who they are and their experience of the world, depending on the society they live on and the gender roles of said society, but those are still all things I consider when finalizing the character.

But yeah! All that said, I truly have no preference. I like them all equally and I love playing opposite them all, too! 8D

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png