Do you Pre-ship?

Morrigan

Sometimes I pre-ship, but not very often. Most of the time, I have them get a relationship started first before I think of shipping any characters together.

I have, but not anymore. Now I need to be sure that the other writer is the right partner and that there is a significant story to be had for the ship itself. 

I prefer not to, but I'm not opposed to it. I have a hard time keeping up with the 'let's say' when it comes to pre-ships. I prefer to approach rp with characters as organically as possible.

behemoth

• 1 month later...

Sometimes! It really depends on my character and who I'm writing with. I have a few different people I met randomly after joining a site and we really clicked when it came to writing! The pre-ships that we end up creating are more... creative than "I want to bone your pb" kind of setup. I feel like they're more psychologically interesting than anything else? Not your typical 'we met and then fell in love' kind of thing. I am not good a pre-ships with no psychological component - it makes it hard for me to find muse for it.

I think there are just certain you write with make pre-ships fun! BUT, that being said, overall I just don't find interest in the whole 'lets bone' kind of deal and never end up responding well to anyone who plots in that way. I am pretty honest about it though! The best kind of ships are the ones that happen out of nowhere. :3

Thinking about the answer to this question, it's really "yes and no" for me.

Over the years, I've had several different RP partners and the approach has been different with each one. When plotting with these people, I like to get a bit of an understanding of what we [i]want[/i] from a pairing and where they are starting out, but I always go in with the expectation that "this might not turn out how we want". I also always knew that these people understood they had to read about the character and know who they were first.

That being said, with all of those people it was never about face claims, it was always about the characters.

These days I still try to know where the plot is going with specific characters and how close they are to that goal, but it's always in the back of my mind that if something unexpected happened things could very easily change. Oh, these two characters are supposed to be getting together? That's great, but suddenly one of them has fallen in love with someone else, so maybe that's not going to happen anymore.

Be that as it may, however, there is nothing I detest more than "finals" ships. This extends somewhat to the concept of "true mates" where everything is perfect and they're madly in love after meeting. It just doesn't feel organic unless someone is specifically written to fulfill that role and those characters can get stale rather easily.

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

• 1 month later...

No, but that's because I don't really focus on the FC's outside of the characters they portray, so I hold no expectations outside of what happens on the board. I also tend to pick FC's that aren't usually in TV/Movies, so that might also be a reason, but even if I did...I don't really watch enough media to justify a pre-shipping habit.

Deep down I try my best not to pre-ship. Every single time I have tried, the outcome does not end well . I found that I prefer to just go with the flow and let chemistry decide.  It's more satisfying to watch character's develop a relationship naturally in the story, or find ships in unlikely places.

Exadia_1607909613.png.e626ceeebe9fcd612aeb490e0e0b1079.png

• 1 month later...

I pre-ship a lot when it is with friends of mine. I like making characters with little plans for romantic interests right away, because it is fun to see where things go. But it isn't often I make a character that doesn't have things planned out for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely find myself filling voids for people I want to write ships with, so there's a lot of planning ahead. I try to argue "we'll just see how it works IC" buuuuuuuut it always works, so essentially, yes, but with more steps.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Phew, shipping based on FC/playby is a new one for me. (That said, I do tend to prefer FC/playby-optional sites because I'm an artist so I like having that option... Neatly dodges that issue.) That seems... odd. Maybe I'm the weird one here though, I actively avoid being required to pick FCs because I just don't think that way.

I was about to say "I can't imagine shipping characters based purely on the actor picked to be their face", but I have been in a semi-similar(ish) situation. I had an ex-boyfriend in a character's backstory that I had been sort of noodling around with, debating putting up a wanted ad for him, etc. In the process of my noodling, I drew a potential design for him--and someone else got SO into that design they messaged me asking to pick up the character. So I guess that's at least tangentially related/adjacent. 

More generally, I WOULD say I don't do a lot of "pre-shipping" I guess, but I don't know that this is true anymore. Lately that's all I've been doing, actually, because I got into some sort of odd/uncomfortable situations and prefer to know what I'm getting into with someone.  I don't think anyone has ever gotten too directly pushy with me, and I'm pretty good (normally) at sussing out if I think I'd enjoy writing a couple (or what have you) with someone. I don't like writing romantic relationships with someone I don't know, though. For me it's as much about OOC compatibility/being on the same page as it is IC interactions. I'm just old and set in my ways and desires, haha. 

OrielBannerBigger.png.a2ce06c92c5f48951844c258d418d92a.png

A Gilded Age 18+ Original Fantasy RPG

Site | Lore | RulesGetting Started | Discord

Not as often as I used to. Before, it was a source of comfort to be able to know my writing partner going into a new site. Now, I try to give other people a chance as often as I can. If I have a ship where my character doesn't work without another and that character's writer is unable to follow me, I just don't use the character. In recent years, I've tried to become more inclusive, if only to broaden my horizons.

It depends! If it's a partner I'm still getting to know, I won't. But if it's a close friend and I already know we jive well writing wise, I'm far more open to it. Even so, I generally like to go in with a bare bones plot or idea and let the characters develop as organically as possible from there.

I definitely have but I try not to these days. If it's someone I've roleplayed with before I guess it's more likely to happen but for the most part I just like to see what feels right and what works out.

Bel

The most in depth rp relationship I've ever written for was one that happened organically. However, if I don't have a catch, unfortunately I lose interest. So often times I have pre-ships. 

❤️

• 5 months later...