How do you decide on 1 RP when several interest you?

Blooming of the Blooms

Not sure if this topic already exists - when I looked, I didn't find anything similar to my question. So here goes.

First of all, hi 😁Basically, my question is:

Especially if you're already strapped for time/feel like you couldn't keep up writing in several roleplays at once, how do you decide on a roleplay when several hold your interest? I'm excited by quite a few roleplays I've found, but I couldn't physically write for all of them, or even more than 1, so feel torn. Also, there's the fact that my interests and motivation change over time, and may shift to different topics/fandoms. I would like to have a roleplay as a "constant" in my life... but it's hard innit.

Thanks for reading and your time!

Edited by Rainbow Wilderness

• Admin

For me personally? I got myself a damn good RP partner and we cycle through whatever we want on a private site. We also run a few of our own sites.

I find that if I'm just looking to join that I look for the one with the best community and that I feel will give me the most opportunity for plot.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

The community.

That is literally it. If I don't feel like I am part of the crew, not even plots and threads will keep me around for long. I need to like & enjoy the people, and the people should at least appear as if they feel similarly about me.

• Agree 2

b3.png.ddd374d50d86896978f146d1af65d1a4.png

Join the discords of the few you like and dawdle about to see who you fit in with before getting started on the app lol... Do some plotting of possible characters and see who teaches out to plot and where you're going to be comfortable. You might find you really mesh with one community and not another.

Edited by Denny

For me it comes down to the character creation rules (and sometimes some other rules if I see anything weird). I usually get really interested in a plot / setting and then jump to the character app guidelines, only to find out it's got a bunch of weird rules that are a huge NO for me. Also the community. If I can't plot with others, I tend to lose interest. 

akadvert-rpgd.png.29201138138b142b94adb2f11d501051.png

• 2 weeks later...

Denny has  good suggestion. Discord can give you an idea of the typists and see if its a fit before investing too much.  For me I tend to have to make decisions  based on time. Mine.

I love my forum, but I have written elsewhere. Usually  because I like what I see in discord or I know someone there that gives me the down low on plots and such. I don't like to spread thin my creativity because then good stories I am writing might suffer for it.

All in all I would say do what you think you can do with the multi forums you like.  

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

Assuming that the rules/lore/etc of all of them match up to your standards......

Try them all. Seriously. Sign up for all, explain you have limited availability, and see which one ends up being the most open to you flitting "in and out" of the RP itself (but maybe might hang in discord/chat at other times) by just merely existing and "doing you". This way as your flavors change, you can cycle through 3-4-6-7 sites as muse takes you every X months/weeks/etc.

Sometimes you only find what holds your 'interest' by jumping in and trying it. I highly doubt anybody is going to take it as a personal insult that you don't stay at their site - we all know how Life Gets, we've all been there in The Longing / The Search, you'd be doing that Admin and honor just by giving them a try and contributing to their site's activity even if it's just for a short time.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I judge where I should be by the vibe of the community. I also look at what I know I can realistically commit the most time and energy to in the long run. It matters to me that I have long-term RP partners.
Like I might watch a movie marathon and get really short-term hyped for a vampire roleplay, but do I think I'll want to keep writing that 6 months from now? If the answer is no, I don't bother signing up.