Naming your roleplay

gelly

How do you decide what to name your roleplay?

For those with roleplays, what was your inspiration? 

In the past, it was really popular to name your roleplay after a song or a lyric from the song. I think it's still popular in certain circles tbh lol. Do you think you should be creative when naming a roleplay or should you be more direct, so prospective members know what type of game you are (this one makes sense for fandoms or science fiction/historical games I think)?

affbutton.gif

Well, it was first called Chaotic-- then we all sat in a call and thought about what we really wanted for its new shiny incarnation with bells and whistles and jcink premium.  We wanted something that was not a long name but also one that sort of had a connection with how we felt about our place.

We are all pretty loyal and dogs in the traces or trenches very hands on..like its our addiction LOL>

So we chose Affliction because it was descriptive without being long.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

I tend to like names that are simple, one or two word names that convey a certain degree of feel for the game without hitting the nail too on the head. I’m a person who enjoys stupid irony and puns. 
two of my more recent games include 

Bath Salts - an original zombie rp. Like I said. Stupid irony.
and Daemon Daze - a cyberpunk fantasy rp; a play on “Demon Days”, but spelt in such a way as to have a more technologically influenced double meaning. 

That said, I won’t pretend I am not sometimes influenced by the music industry. “Bath Salts” actually happens to be the name of one of my favorite songs, incidentally boasting a video that touches on the ‘bath salt zombie’ connotation. Likewise, “Demon Days” is an album I know well and love by The Gorillaz. 

Edited by Atypicalzero

I don't currently run a public site, so I'll just mention the ones I can think of off the top.

Plain of Ice was named after something one of the characters said in the canon. "I dream of a plain of ice. I hear a voice, resounding into the distance. On that plain of ice I die." Incidentally, one of the dimensions unique to our site's lore is characterised by being a large glacier. I.E. an endless plain of ice.

I later renamed it to Tamashii no Chikai, which was the name of an episode in the series. In English it means Oath of the Soul. (I changed it back to Plain of Ice last year.)

Seidhr is a term in Nordic mythology used to refer to a kind of magic that entailed working with or changing the future. The game is set after a major, several-hundred-year-long war that had extremely devastating effects, both to the world and to the people. Seidhr is a hope of a form that the people can change the course of the future in the present and prevent anything so devastating from ever happening again, as well as recover from the war that did happen.

Simprovise was a combination of improvise, which RPers do a lot of, and Sim, because it's a Sims site. This is probably the most shallow name reasoning I have lol

Resurgence, the term means a revival or a regeneration. The game itself was set after a 100 year war (I seem to like very long wars), so the term probably makes a lot of sense in context.

Imperion is a slight corruption of imperialism, and was so named as the locale suffered beneath imperialistic expansion that it was most recently fighting to break free from.

Geomancy in the real world is a form of divination that uses the earth. However, it was a Pokemon site patronised by Xerneas, and Xerneas' signature move is called Geomancy. (It does not divine anything. I'm not sure why they named it that.)

Serpensortia... well I think most everyone can figure out what that site was. Lol that was the only site of mine that someone could look at the name and go "I know what kind of site that is."

Aphelion is the term that describes the point in its orbit where a celestial body is the furthest away from the sun. It has absolutely nothing to do with the site itself (it was a modern fantasy crime site), but maybe sort of symbolically fitting. Also sounded cool.

There are inspirations and ideas all over the place. It's up to you how fitting you want it to be, and honestly, I've rarely ever found a site named something that made me immediately go "Oh this must be this kind of site," so I don't really beat myself up about it much if it doesn't immediately give away its genre. It probably won't. But it almost always means something in context to the site.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• Admin

The HONEST truth is if there isn't a domain that I can get for it then I won't use the name. I have re-done the same domain in multiple iterations because it fits the theme of the site I'm using. I tend to go with something in the vein at minimum since the theme can always explain more.

Fucking Diabolical - WIP The Boys site. Its a phrase that one of the main Boys characters says a lot as well as other characters. It was an available domain and Fuck yes! So that's how it got its name.

Grim Horizons - There were a lot of thoughts on this one in the attempts to find something good. Unfortunately there are a lot of taken horizon domains but Grim won out because its a "space exploration and colonization RP" and death is extremely likely.

The Network - This is a domain I've had for years. I always use it for Sci-Fi RPs. The newest iteration that I'm using it for is my Cyber/biopunk RP (which, I'll be honest is normally what it is). Its one of my favorite domains as its literally thenet.work which just amuses me.

Realm of Roleplays - The idea never really took off sadly but the point of it was that it was a DM/GM place. So you create little mini-DND sort of games without dice and you could do it in any realm or reality or place or whatever.

Card Rebellion - This was an old Dark Alice in Wonderland RP that I created a world around. I still enjoy the world and intend to write more in it but I doubt I'll be RPing it anymore because it isn't a particularly popular genre.

I ❤️ Fangs - Can you guess what this was? Couldn't have been a Supernatural RP could it? Yeah it was totally a Supernatural RP just thought it was cute. 

Knights of Cydonia - This was a Sci-Fi RP. It was technically based off of a song by Muse of the same name (even though Cydonia is actually a place on Mars). This particular RP I took a bunch of Muse songs and adapted them making the whole RP based around the songs (I think I used a total of 14 Muse titles on the site for programs etc)

Metro: Beyond - This one is a Metro 2033 based site. The point of it is that we're going to get "Beyond" the explored world even in the recent game of "Exodus" so it was just fitting.

Monstrum Lumox - This was going to be a Supernatural site but I didn't end up finishing it. It just means "Silly Monsters" which to me is another just amusing thing.

These are the ones I still have domains for.

As it stands you can see that I don't really have a rhyme for my choices. I just think on it and look for domains until I find one that I think both fits and has an available domain name.

For the most part (save for Knights of Cydonia) to stay away from music lyrics if I'm honest. It always seemed like a cop out to me and they never really seemed to fit the sites that they were on IMHO. They were also long and always required acronyms, even for the site staff. and the ones people often chose were just TOO lyrical.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot of sites over the years that I've either created, helped run, and more (I've been roleplaying for a long, long time). Most names that I gravitate towards have something to do with the site, and they're not really all that hidden. Some examples:

• The Rise of Voldemort - a Harry Potter site set after DH where Harry lost and Voldemort was rising to power.
  • In Plain Sight - an Original Fantasy site where the darkness and the evil that was causing issues was hidden in plain sight.
  • Darkly Ever After - an Original Fantasy site where a fog is spreading across the cosmos and a Ragnarok-like apocalypse is nigh.

There's more, but I can't remember them at the moment.

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

Back when I started it was something that basically encompassed the feeling of the RP but also the name of it. I try to stay with that but when I started my current site that was not only something that I liked the ring of, but had personal meaning for me.

Nightpeak - Original Medieval Fantasy (Name of the lands and the rp)

Forest of Artemis - Original Medieval Fantasy (Name of the lands and the RP)

Resolution - (Name of the feel and what I needed to feel after starting when someone killed it for me. I wanted it to remind me that it wasn't dead in me and resolved to keep going no matter what. And then became the name.)

spacer.pngDecadence

Anthology... well.. the definition of it. 

an·thol·o·gy /anˈTHäləjē/ noun
a published collection of poems or other pieces of writing.

A group of writers coming together to write... why not call it Anthology. 😊

#New bar ad.png

Might sound slightly silly, but I always have a look what's available as a web domain name to make sure people have an easy URL for the RP that that can hopefully remember. I always hate those stories where people don't come back to a RP because they lost the link and struggle to find it again. 

I used to run a place called Deep Space 12 - which must be one of the most boringly named Star Trek RPs out there. 

My current project is called Floo Network mostly because the .network domain as free. 🙂

• Fuck Yeah! 1

stubbybanner.png.e4759f47b79305430527a983448ebbff.png

🜂 Home 🜂 Rules 🜂 New Player Guide 🜂 Plot 🜂 Classifieds 🜂 Discord 🜂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 1/26/2021 at 5:58 AM, Royal_Poet said:

Might sound slightly silly, but I always have a look what's available as a web domain name to make sure people have an easy URL for the RP that that can hopefully remember. I always hate those stories where people don't come back to a RP because they lost the link and struggle to find it again. 

I used to run a place called Deep Space 12 - which must be one of the most boringly named Star Trek RPs out there. 

My current project is called Floo Network mostly because the .network domain as free. 🙂

Not stupid at all. If you read. I don't even name a site unless I have the domain.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I chose The World Within. I can't remember if I had other ideas before that. I think so but I settled on this before I began building the site. I thought it simply showed we are referring to the supernatural world that lives within the world most people know.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

The site I currently run (Fodlan Chronicles) is based on Fire Emblem: Three Houses, so Fodlan simply comes from the name of the in-game continent.

Chronicles is from the name of another site I was working on that took place in an original setting but during that project, we decided to make it Fire Emblem theme instead, but we did keep an aspect of the original idea's name.

KvrAHBW.png

Fodlan Chronicles - A Fire Emblem Based RP Forum
Home | Getting Started | Affiliation Guidelines | Advertisements

Midnight Dreams was the result of a random kind of idea that popped in the head, but now nearly 18 months later, it's become far more apt and also just feeling right at the same time. It's a modern supernatural (not the fandom) fantasy site and definitely makes sense for the writing and the writers. In short, it was a wonderfully unplanned happenstance!

A Dream of Spring this is an alternative universe, Game of Thrones/ASOIAF  site and at the time of it's creation it was one of the first names that came up, though we went through a bunch basically book titles from the series and I think this one was just something that I suggested (I can't remember if it's the actual title or just a mash-up) and it's been fun seeing the plot evolve and the world actually move into Winter over the last two and a bit years. 

Finally, an upcoming one; Thorns & Starlight, this will be a high fantasy steampunk, but originally it was based heavily on the book series a Court of Thorns and Roses - and you can probably guess where part of the name came from - I selected the rest and while that fandom one didn't work (a little too niche), we will be relaunching with the same name as it just makes sense for what we will be writing. 

In short, the names of my site come from a lot of sources, the inspiration is about what is happening in the moment. As well as the setting and how it works within the story, the members also help out a lot as well. 

Anyway... there we are current and upcoming only! LOL

• Like 1

I currently run a site called Days to Remember.  The name actually comes from the speech my highschool valedictorian gave. I Remember she went on about her accomplishments for a while, but at the end of the list she said they did not matter to her as much as the dances she attended the and the senior project we completed. She said "at the end of it all the time I spent with my friends goofing off will be the days I remember." Her speech kinda stuck with me because I was a nerd and so I kinda named my site after her quote.

Edited by Milktoast
I wanted to edit the quote to make it more accurate

i named energy after energy cards in the pokemon tcg. it was simple, easily connected to pokemon, and gave off a good and positive vibe. 

for my old vampire site, it was named igne natura after the quote "igne natura renovatur integra" or "through fire nature is reborn." in the manga it was based on, igne natura was sort of the motto for the villains. and with the heavy religious themes, as well as the concept of the site being about fear of an armageddon, it was just a perfect fit. (also the original site was just called "by flames" when i made it back around 2013.)

Edited by Sophie Hatter

j8KlPp.png