Naming your roleplay

gelly

I named my co-owned rp site Never Say Die after the phrase "never say die", (not very interesting). It was a roleplay site I created after all other options for animal rp had been used up/closed/left so it was kinda like a new fresh shot to roleplay how i wanted to. ~having your site literally called 'never give up' helps a bit with motivation now and then too, hehheh.~

I tend to like roleplays with short names (like a couple words long) that have a cool meaning, phrase, or sound good. I think the name can help 'brand' sites or set a vibe for the place. I love seeing all the unique names people come up with these days~ ❤️

NSD_affiliate_1.png

NSD - Never Say Die

an original, stylized, nonrealistic animal rp

I don’t know. I just thought Realms of Whimsy was cute. 

Reality is an illusion. 

I normally have a plot beforehand and then I name the roleplay off the plot or something to do with the plot. Other than that, I'm normally bad at naming things XD

• 2 weeks later...

agonize over what to name my RPs to the point where I get frustrating with myself over not just choosing something, lol. I want the title to evoke inspiring ideas for the user. I tend to look through my favorite poetry and other media associated that inspire the genre and pick out some words or phrases to narrow down.

Ilvermorny Pride came about because I was trying to think of what was important back when I was in school and since Ilvermorny is the North American wizarding school I was thinking of the importance of school pride. We call it IP for short though. It's not terribly original, I know, but it worked in a pinch and it's stuck ever since.

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

• 6 months later...

My rp's name came from naming it after the land it takes place on ...

which came from a random generator lol. 

❤️

• 1 month later...

I think about naming a roleplay exactly how I would think about titling a book - as you said, both creative and so that the prospective members/ readers know mostly what it is about. For roleplays, I kept with a song lyric too, but only coordinated with the above - so I had Before the Mast and Caribbean Dreams (as West Indies pirate adventures). I had once a Viking RPG which didn't take off, that was called The Quest - also with lyrics and the naval quests they had...

For books, the title and the cover tell what it is about - "The wanderers of the seas" (Viking Era historical), "Lives in turmoil" (the series title, each volume has its own subtitle - "1-Bloodied Lands", "2-The New World", "3-Other turmoils of life"-  Napoleonic wars first volume, then Western as my characters emigrate to the US), "The charm of the seas" (historical, 18-th century), "Rightness'Friends" (YA), "The Crew" (YA), "The second shuttle boat" (romance with mature characters, sequel of The Crew 20 years later), "On nostalgia, on love, on death" (short stories, contemporary, with and without happy end), "Protected by mermaids" (short stories, historical-mythological), "The mercenary's fate and other destinies" (short stories, historical), "Roads and yearnings" (poems).

For me, it was important from the start that the name for my newest site be something in latin. After all, it takes place in ancient Rome and it just didn't feel right to have something in English. However, like most people I didn't want it to be too long and it needed to fit the theme which is why I eventually chose Invenire Auctorita which means "Finding the Authority" which is great because the plot focuses primarily on power struggles and shifting governments. So, yeah, I might be biased, but I think it fits perfectly lol

Randomly, I have named a great number of projects over many years. The same things always come into play. Genre. Feeling. Uniqueness.

• 5 months later...

For me my partners and I always came up with a loose plot for our characters and from there something angsty or poetic having to do with that just made sense.

ie pirate RP - Hoist the colors

spacer.png

• 9 months later...

I think a name has to give a certain type of vibe you're trying to showcase. Is the site darker? with some morbid themes? give it a spookier sounding name. 

Slice of life? something chill and relaxing to the ears or eyes. I like the name to have something to do with the feeling of making the site. Despair the Ruthless is my newest and it has some darker themes as well as 

crime and cutthroat plots. I feel the name reflects that. 

• 2 weeks later...

The name of my site is entirely based on imports and exports, surprisingly enough; 'Ex Vino Veritas', which is 'in truth, there is wine'. We had built up the imports and exports to include wine, and started building off of that until suddenly we had a whole country based almost entirely on the export of wine. From there we searched through latin terms that included wine, and voila! Ex Vino Veritas, or XVV. We felt it was both catchy and matching, which were both important.

Some of the best names I've seen have been something that tells you about the site and compels you without knowing anything else about the roleplay!

Ex Vino Veritas

"So Shiny, So Chrome" is a quote from the movie that inspired the site's birth, 'Mad Max: Fury Road'.

Because it's a fandom site, I wanted a name that someone who was familiar with the source material would recognize as being from Mad Max. However I also wanted something that would be easy to spell, because in the past it was infuriating trying to remember the name of a site with a weird, complex spelling.

ad banner 515x127.png

ILIDILA.png

• 1 month later...

Gosh, I haven't named much since the early 2000s when I was a child making lots of sites with plain names like "Dragon Mountain" or "The Shadow's Forest" haha.

I did name the sequel of a site, once. The site was called Isilme, which is Quenya (I believe?) for "moonlight". We named the sequel Isilme: Anarore, Anarore meaning... "dawn"? It just felt like a natural progression.

I did have some concepts which never went anywhere, though.

COMMAND: named as such because there were demonic powers which could COMMAND (yes, all caps for stylization!) you to perform a certain action (of their choice, barring like, harming yourself beyond repair). Spoooopy.

Tirnanog: named as such because it was supposed to be really sandbox-y in a kind of paradise-esque place

Provinces: named as such because it was centered around a power struggle in a kingdom-that-was-once-several-kingdoms-but-united-some-200-years-ago-by-an-emperor-but-each-former-kingdom-retained-some-sort-of-governing-power. Really liked the concept of that one tbh, might try to turn it into a written work some day.

Otherwise I've just been along for the ride lately haha

KOTOLL - 18+ urban fantasy

icon.png.bd65e891ade50e02b038ea5f48741a26.png

Home | Discord

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

My site name was originally just its 'placeholder' name while I was writing up everything in a google doc, based on the fact that the setting is a defunct theme park village which is now overgrown with brambles and weeds and has basically vanished as far as everyone knows. 

Then it kinda stuck, and I wasn't able to come up with anything else that rolled off the tongue the same way or had the same vibes. So here we are haha.

bbrbanner_ver2.png

Forum || Discord